The Student Room Group

Is this course too similar?

Hello! I’m currently finishing up my a levels and am fairly certain I have failed history as I haven’t understood a single bit of it over the past two years 😭 I don’t want to resit history as it’s been a lot of stress over the past two years so I’ve decided to do a level 3 course in college, the issue is the course I want to do is creative writing and I already have done English language & literature a level so I am wondering are these too similar?
Reply 1
Original post by ac2104_x
Hello! I’m currently finishing up my a levels and am fairly certain I have failed history as I haven’t understood a single bit of it over the past two years 😭 I don’t want to resit history as it’s been a lot of stress over the past two years so I’ve decided to do a level 3 course in college, the issue is the course I want to do is creative writing and I already have done English language & literature a level so I am wondering are these too similar?

Maybe it is best to do creative writing as it is similar to English lang and lit, because it will make things easier on your creative writing course since u hve done similar subjects in the past
Reply 2
That’s what I think but people have been telling me that universities won’t like two similar subjects? I thought it only applied to taking English lit & English lang lit as two a levels but I just wanted to check
Reply 3
Original post by ac2104_x
That’s what I think but people have been telling me that universities won’t like two similar subjects? I thought it only applied to taking English lit & English lang lit as two a levels but I just wanted to check

That's not always the case. It mostly depends on the course that u want to do at university, if it is competitive then they might be fussy with what A-levels they want but in most cases, universities won't care if you have got the grades that they are asking of you and that your subjects that you did at A-level are relevant to the course you want to study. I don't think it matters. Since you did English lang and lit at A-level, it will be easier to come to creative writing at university as you have studied similar subjects before.
What is your end goal? Whether the course is similar or not may or may not matter depending on that.
Reply 5
Original post by Alonepast
That's not always the case. It mostly depends on the course that u want to do at university, if it is competitive then they might be fussy with what A-levels they want but in most cases, universities won't care if you have got the grades that they are asking of you and that your subjects that you did at A-level are relevant to the course you want to study. I don't think it matters. Since you did English lang and lit at A-level, it will be easier to come to creative writing at university as you have studied similar subjects before.

Awesome thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest