The Student Room Group

Do GCSEs matter?

I've read posts where people say GCSEs are really important and they do matter and make your entire future.

On the other hand, I've had people tell me they don't matter at all and I shouldn't care too much about them.

Soo... what's the truth?

What do you think? Are they important, or not so much?
(edited 4 years ago)
If you aren't doing as then yeah pretty for getting into uni but if you are then not much. Thing is though gcses are way easier compared to a-levels. Aim to get as high a grade as you can in the things you are planning on doing at a-level so you get better at those things in prep.
Reply 3
They are important when you are young because they are the only formal qualifications you have and the building blocks for your next academic steps. But when you have a degree, etc. they're not very significant.
When applying to uni. Yes, anywhere else is kinda dependent.
AS levels aren't really gone. I'm about to sit mine now and the only difference I can gather between me and an AS student three years ago is that their AS counted towards 40% of the final grade and now they mean nothing in terms of what you come out with at A Level. You can now get a C in first year and an A* in second year. The exams exist as AS is the only real true indicator of what you're likely to achieve in second year.

As for the OP, I doubt they really do. People who still like to flaunt their grades from GCSE in AS don't seem to come off very impressive with classmates. Socially no, they don't matter. Everyone cares about AS and A Levels. But if you're hoping for a job at 16/17 and you have no other formal qualifications they can come in useful there.
When you are very young they are somewhat important; university applications will be helped by a decent set of results. In a couple of years they will be almost completely irrelevant.
Reply 7
YES
I'd say only the relevant GCSE sibjects that you're gonna continue at A Level are the only important ones well aswell as Maths and English, but if your applying for a science course they're hardly gonna turn you down just because you did crap in Art or RE.
Not really. They would only matter if you wanted a high paid job (doctor, lawyer, pilot etc etc) I left with no GCSEs at all and life is great. My dad also left with absolutely nothing and he runs a successful travel business. Do try your best though.
If you want to do medicine, then yeah they matter (most of the time).
YES. You may not want to go to uni right now or you may not want to go into a really competitive course (where they won't matter to much) but you never know what you want in the future. Therefore, they do matter.
Original post by carrotxox
I've read posts where people say GCSEs are really important and they do matter and make your entire future.

On the other hand, I've had people tell me they don't matter at all and I shouldn't care too much about them.

Soo... what's the truth?

What do you think? Are they important, or not so much?

Just get the grades to get into the college u want then after that no one will ask again. Even if u fail so what we all die anyway
It depends what you want to do in the future. If you want to go to Uni, GCSEs are definitely important (especially for degrees like Law and Medicine) because you apply before you do your A-Levels, so GCSEs are the only trustworthy, external exams Unis have to go on. GCSEs are important for degree apprenticeships too, for things like engineering, because your grades control what A-levels you can take. But then again it doesn't take GCSEs to start your own business etc. Either way, working hard never hurt anyone :smile:
i got an offer from a russell group uni with Bs Cs and a D so no they don’t
do you have perfect a levels? do you do 20 clubs? I need to know your secret please thanks x:h:
Original post by Blackberryjam
i got an offer from a russell group uni with Bs Cs and a D so no they don’t
Original post by sillysausage77
do you have perfect a levels? do you do 20 clubs? I need to know your secret please thanks x:h:

This thread is 2 years old. Please don't bump old threads.

But to answer your question (kind of), getting into a Russell Group university isn't difficult at all. Most are extremely lenient come results day especially (apart from the obvious Oxbridge & co.)
Original post by sillysausage77

most russell group universities don’t care as long do you Bs and ax’s at gcse, i took biology psychology and history my AS year and got BDD, so i took up an extended btec course as well as keeping psychology and i now have A (in psychology) D*D*D* (which is equal to 3 A*s. it’s never too late. i’m 19 rn and i’m about to go southampton to study psychology. honestly don’t let your gcses get you done please
thank you :h:needed this sm x
Original post by Blackberryjam
most russell group universities don’t care as long do you Bs and ax’s at gcse, i took biology psychology and history my AS year and got BDD, so i took up an extended btec course as well as keeping psychology and i now have A (in psychology) D*D*D* (which is equal to 3 A*s. it’s never too late. i’m 19 rn and i’m about to go southampton to study psychology. honestly don’t let your gcses get you done please
Reply 19
Original post by harrisonguy9
Not really. They would only matter if you wanted a high paid job (doctor, lawyer, pilot etc etc) I left with no GCSEs at all and life is great. My dad also left with absolutely nothing and he runs a successful travel business. Do try your best though.

may i ask what u do now , i stuggle with maths but i feel like school isnt for so what do i do to become like your dad or you atleast?

Quick Reply

Latest