The Student Room Group

I'm actually panicking, do I even have a chance???

All over this forum I'm seeing people post questions like “I got 9999988887 at GCSEs, can I still get into x with these low grades?” LOW???
I want to get into a good uni for econ/accounting and I got 8777776666/5 I feel so demotivated due to those posts like wow. I’m currently studying economics, maths and English lit at a levels and (I got a 6 in maths gcse and plan on retaking it next November)

Should I even bother applying to universities like warwick, ucl, lse etc. next year?
Reply 1
Original post by Jaig23
All over this forum I'm seeing people post questions like “I got 9999988887 at GCSEs, can I still get into x with these low grades?” LOW???
I want to get into a good uni for econ/accounting and I got 8777776666/5 I feel so demotivated due to those posts like wow. I’m currently studying economics, maths and English lit at a levels and (I got a 6 in maths gcse and plan on retaking it next November)

Should I even bother applying to universities like warwick, ucl, lse etc. next year?

Ignore these posts - most people are probably exaggerating ...
Reply 2
Original post by Jaig23

People only make these kinds of posts to elicit responses like yours - in a sense to get validation of the self by understating their achievements. Just like people who come out of an exam and claim to have done really badly, but then go and score 95% on it or something.
Reply 3
Apply.

As above, its mostly fantasy posting.
Reply 4
Original post by Jaig23

Your A-level grades matter more than your GCSE ones so focus on those!
Just an over-abundance of high achievers on TSR trying to maximise their chances. The majority of courses in the UK aren't bothered about your GCSE's beyond meeting Maths+Eng and any other specific requirements.
Your GCSEs aren’t a matter ngl, it’s all about A Level predicted + PS when applying.

But just a heads up, if you wanna get into Econ at top unis like LSE/ Cambridge, you need to take Further Maths
Also, just to add, 2 years ago when I was applying to uni I was also one of those “shitposters,” literally panicking going: “I got 9999999A*AA at GCSE, predicted A*A*AA at A level; do I have a chance at LSE given I didn’t get A* predicted for A-Level Further Maths & only got an A for GCSE Further Mathematics?!” And thing is, I was dead serious.

I don’t think anyone’s posting such things to ******** but rather they’re looking for reassurance, as we all compare ourselves to others - eg at the time i was comparing myself to people I’d known who’d applied with 4A*s for eg.

But now that I’m currently studying at a “top” uni for Econ, where I’ve met people who literally got like 7/8s with a couple 6s for their GCSEs, or who “only” got A*AA at A-Level, ive realised that it’s not that deep. It really isn’t. Arbitrary grade differences once you’ve met the basic GCSE requirements don’t matter at all.

Just focus on your A-Levels, try to do the best you can, and make sure your personal statement has critical thinking elements!
Original post by confuzzledteen
Also, just to add, 2 years ago when I was applying to uni I was also one of those “shitposters,” literally panicking going: “I got 9999999A*AA at GCSE, predicted A*A*AA at A level; do I have a chance at LSE given I didn’t get A* predicted for A-Level Further Maths & only got an A for GCSE Further Mathematics?!” And thing is, I was dead serious.

I don’t think anyone’s posting such things to shitpost but rather they’re looking for reassurance, as we all compare ourselves to others - eg at the time i was comparing myself to people I’d known who’d applied with 4A*s for eg.

But now that I’m currently studying at a “top” uni for Econ, where I’ve met people who literally got like 7/8s with a couple 6s for their GCSEs, or who “only” got A*AA at A-Level, ive realised that it’s not that deep. It really isn’t. Arbitrary grade differences once you’ve met the basic GCSE requirements don’t matter at all.

Just focus on your A-Levels, try to do the best you can, and make sure your personal statement has critical thinking elements!

PRSOM
Original post by Jaig23

The only GCSE grade that will matter is Maths. If you meet the entry requirements it wont matter. The big issues will be Maths A level grade and some will want Further Maths.
You got a bunch of As at GCSE, so be proud of that :smile: As others have already said, A levels are what really matters to most Unis.

From helping my daughter, Economics in particular is pretty competitive (not so sure about Accounting) so you will want to look at a variety of Unis. I was surprised how much the offers varied from "good" Unis

Depending on your career aspiration you might want to look at some related subjects than can be a little less competitive (eg Econ and IR, Econ and Business etc)

You will also want to visit a few Unis (if you haven't already), they vary so much in feel and approach. My daughter didn't warm to Warwick at all, Exeter was interesting but bonkers offer compared to Bath and Lancaster. FWIW London Unis dont always offer the nicest experience and can be even more competitive than the 'provincial' ones
Reply 11
Original post by Jaig23

Your grades are fine, so you should got for it, but a word of warning for everyone that applies to the likes of Warwick, UCL, LSE, Durham, Edinburgh for economics, even those with perfect grades, is that all these unis are hyper competitive for economics. You should therefore include at least a couple of safer options in your choice of 5.
Reply 12
Its making me panic as well, because I really want to go to a good university for dentistry or pharmacy however my grades were 766655554 So I'm also really really worried and I don't know what to do anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending