The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by scarlet ibis
Another INFJ here!

What site did you use?

Ok just tried one. INTP apparently, though it was really hard to choose between S and N as aspects of both often come into play.

We've all done some colour wheel thing at work. I'm predominantly red (basically, type A) with almost as much blue (basically, analytical). Some green (can't remember what that means!) and little yellow (ie I don't suffer fools very well). This was largely done on work-based stuff though. Essentially I'm a competitive perfectionist who doesn't have time for idiots, or something like that :laugh: ... I think they phrased it differently though!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3981
Original post by sj27
What site did you use?

Ditto - I don't like Kitty and Hobnob discussing my personality, I'm getting a complex :mad:
Reply 3982
Original post by apotoftea
Ditto - I don't like Kitty and Hobnob discussing my personality, I'm getting a complex :mad:

I used this http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html
Took about a minute :tongue:
Reply 3983

Sorry.:console: Though if it makes it any better: we weren't really discussing your personality, just placing bets on it...
I switch a lot depending on how I'm feeling when I fill the things out
I've had:
INTP
ISTJ
ESTP
INTJ

The only thing that never changes is my T
:s-smilie:
Reply 3985
Debate topic:

MBTI - the thinking man's Cosmo quiz?

I just had a look at one but having spent all of the questions deciding what personality I would like to perceive myself as having conciously or otherwise - I failed to see the point in looking at the result and seeing it as anything other than falsely validating a particular self perception.
Original post by Mark85
Debate topic:

I just had a look at one but having spent all of the questions deciding what personality I would like to perceive myself as having conciously or otherwise - I failed to see the point in looking at the result and seeing it as anything other than falsely validating a particular self perception.

I love doing that, though :colondollar:
(it's a bit like reading your horoscope and deciding whether you'll believe it or not based on how positive it is when you read it)
Reply 3987

I got ESTJ from that one. Just did another random one and got ESFJ. Ilex's suggestion of ISTJ (going by a description I've just read is very very close though! I only disagree with the lack of affection in relationships bit).

Thanks though - it's just appealed to my over-thinking procrastination side :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3988
I must add that the SJ in my username has nothing to do with personality tests :tongue:
Reply 3989
Original post by Mark85
Debate topic:

Definitely Judging.:p:

I think it's more like the muggle's Sorting Hat, personally.
Original post by Craghyrax
One of the biggest adjustments for me was that before a PhD, you can hand in your work when you've had enough. You have the luxury of saying 'ok I don't care if this gets a 2.1, I'm finished with it now'. But at a PhD, nothing less than publishable standard is accepted. So if you hand something in that's sub par, it will come back to you again and again.
Also because the standard for completing a PhD, is publication standard, that also means that when you are accepted to a PhD, first class standard work is no longer a big deal. You don't get a clap on the back and respect. That is the minimum standard you are supposed to be operating at, so when you satisfy that basic requirement nobody is surprised or impressed. Its taken for granted, so they will just move to pointing out those areas that haven't made that minimum standard.
Furthermore, before a PhD, your education is structured so that you have regular feedback. This is because your qualification is broken up into different segments over time, and each receives an objective mark afterwards. There are no more marks at PhD, and apart from the transfer stage, there is no official assessment or grading of your work until the viva. So you go from having had regular evidence of your progress to absolutely nothing for three years. This can be very stressful and depressing, because in the past you would have been buoyed on by evidence of good grades. Now you just have to push yourself through on confidence. The only way to get good feedback is to go out on a limb and present at conferences or do something like blog.
You also realise that your supervisors aren't necessarily even able to indicate the grade of your work, since they will not necessarily be an expert in the niche you're carving, and in the context of trying to achieve peer review standard, their one or two opinions might not feel enough to really tell you much.

Whoops, got caught up in the personality stuff and overlooked this. Thanks for your comments. Very insightful. I'll bear it in mind for October.
Reply 3991
Original post by Mark85
Debate topic:

Yep, funnily enough you get out of it what you put in. Magic. :tongue:
I think I'm definitely IN but a combination of TF/JP interesting though!
Hope youre all well :biggrin: First day of my summer job today in a French restaurant. Lots of French staff and customers which is cool.Downside is my nemesis the coffee machine. After today, I'd ×1000 sooner research into the more trying aspects of Russian grammar than make anyone a double-macchiato-espresso- latte decaf or whatever ridiculous combination people ask for. But that's just the unabated nerd in me speaking. :tongue:
Original post by scarlet ibis
I've not done one of them either. Can anyone recommend a good site? Tried the BBC one but it didn't give me a category just some waffle.

Original post by sj27
What site did you use?

I haven't done a personality test :puppyeyes:

I've used this one:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp It agreed with my result from the official test :dontknow:

Ok just tried one. INTP apparently, though it was really hard to choose between S and N as aspects of both often come into play.
That's the problem I always get.
Reply 3995
Original post by Craghyrax
I've used this one:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp It agreed with my result from the official test :dontknow:

Errrr....that one has me as...yes....INTJ!!!!!!

And funnily enough the "strongest" leaning was N vs S, so quite different to the other one I did :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
INTJ today
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)
:s-smilie:
Original post by Mark85
Debate topic:

What a coincidence. I had an interview thing for some training I am being put forward for at work last Friday, and one of the first things I am supposed to do is a MBTI! Like you, I am conscious of my own self-perception. I know I am more outgoing at work than I am naturally because I see the benefits of having a mask I can put on and take off when needed.
I've always been able to 'see through' personality tests. But I didn't get that so much with MBTI. I think it depends how well the questions are framed.
Also if you really want a representative answer, you will actively be aware of what you want to be and what you think you really are and simply force yourself to be honest. So for that reason, I do find the result I get useful because I know I believed that the answer I chose was the best available.

In terms of how far looking into a mirror can help (taking your points that its just telling you what you think you are), I think that can be enormously useful. One rarely sits down and maps out a holistic framework of one's strengths and weaknesses. Seeing it there can bring a lot of things to light. Furthermore the tests often probe you on categories that you haven't necessarily considered beforehand, which can provide additional insight.

As others have mentioned, one might have a good understanding of one's own dispositions without necessarily having much awareness of how other people work and function. Such a test can make you aware that things you thought were normal or universal are specific to you, and it can teach you a lot about why other people are the way they are and how you might come across to them.

Finally, of course we might all alter and get different results over time. If you use such a test assuming that its about unearthing some intrinsic authentic 'self' buried deep in your psyche, then yeh obviously that is a bit silly and naive. But if you see it as just a tool for introspection it can do what you want it to. And I think its very interesting to use something like that periodically over the course of your life to work out how you've developed and changed. This can actually be quite motivating when you discover that stuff you thought was intrinsic is actually fairly malleable.
Reply 3999
Original post by evantej
What a coincidence. I had an interview thing for some training I am being put forward for at work last Friday, and one of the first things I am supposed to do is a MBTI! Like you, I am conscious of my own self-perception. I know I am more outgoing at work than I am naturally because I see the benefits of having a mask I can put on and take off when needed.

That is the kind of thing that bugs me - when corporate types take that **** seriously and attempt to use it for anything in the workplace.

I always treat that sort of situation as BBB (bull**** baffles brains) and would thus tick all of the boxes at random.

Latest

Trending

Trending