The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi:

Welcome :mad:

(I always get told off for using happy smileys to greet people :colondollar: )

That's because we're not HOGs :tongue:

Welcome Noodlzzz!
Reply 9061
Original post by wadhamite
The power of compromise - a small amount of teaching, after I have settled in, is allowed. Hurrah!

Excellent!

Original post by Noodlzzz
Subbed for September application!

Grumpy hellos!

Original post by Salchow
That's because we're not HOGs :tongue:

!

:laugh:

I mean, :colonhash:
Thanks for the comments, folks. I still don't have the contract (it's all online, they're processing things like my passport and degree cert atm, fitness to work etc). I was hoping to get permission in my contract (for example, to take it as unpaid leave, or to take half the days as paid leave and the other half unpaid) - it would be eight days teaching total, not to begin until January. I am going to email the new boss again, as I didn't spell out the specifics last time, and see if it seems more palatable to her. I'm also going to offer to start the job two weeks early, to effectively 'give back' those eight days.

I think they don't want me teaching because they think it will be a distraction. That's fair. It's just frustrating because it's only a 15 month contract, they've made promises to extend it after that (but, hey, if it's not written down it's not worth ****) but I need to keep options open. There are four people retiring in my department in the next 24 months, plus the university has been holding back some permanent contracts while they look for a new head of department, so in 2015/16 they will do a shedload of permanent hires and I want to be one of them... From past experience, if you keep 'in' with the department, the eventual job descriptions they put out are more likely to match your field of expertise (rather than being a broad, general search).

I think what you're planning makes sense. Best of luck and hope it all works out for you :smile: !
The power of compromise - a small amount of teaching, after I have settled in, is allowed. Hurrah!

That's good news :smile:
Finished my first draft :woo: Hope to hear from supervisor soon, kinda gone off the radar again :sad:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Subbed for September application!

:hello:

Yay! Fantastic, glad you sorted it :smile:
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
Finished my first draft :woo: Hope to hear from supervisor soon, kinda gone off the radar again :sad:

Nice work! Fingers crossed supervisor replies soon :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Nice work! Fingers crossed supervisor replies soon :smile:

:smile: Thanks TLG, I hope so too. Otherwise, I really will start crying :colondollar:
Today I met a nice man from TSR and he gave me a stick of rock that says TSR on it :-D
Original post by Cirsium
Today I met a nice man from TSR and he gave me a stick of rock that says TSR on it :-D

:hi:

Very nice! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cirsium

How random but cool :tongue:

My stuff is now moved to my new place
Original post by Cirsium

Interested to hear about how SI has been...PM me if you don't want to post in here?
Original post by *Interrobang*
How random but cool :tongue:

My stuff is now moved to my new place

Not as random as it sounds. I was at an education conference of sorts, and they were advertising a TSR spin off 'Get Revising'. I told the man that I had been on TSR since it was UKL and he was very impressed :p:

I too have moved to a new place. There are a lot of boxes. And I'm pretty sure there's a domestic violence case going on in the flat above :-/
First stage of my move to the Dark Side is underway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
First stage of my move to the Dark Best Side is underway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fixed for you :flute:
Original post by Helenia
First stage of my move to the Dark Side is underway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going the other way - even though there's 27 years between the two, I've still got a slight feeling of guilt :redface:
Reply 9077
I have only ever seen the light :angel:
Well, first Oxford demonstrated poor taste by throwing economics in with politics and philosophy, rather than something fun like sociology or anthropology. Then their Sociology MSc was overly quantitative, and finally - when I approached them with an open mind and applied for the DPhil - they rejected me! So all in all, they've only demonstrated unforgivably poor taste, which settles the matter :closedeyes: Cambridge is clearly superior :p:
I applied for Oxford jobs because I thought I'd visited it previously. Turns out I may have been thinking of Cambridge... but at first impressions, they look rather similar :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending