The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by SilGathien
Meanwhile, my proposed PhD is on the afterlife of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia in England, Scotland, and Wales in the later medieval period, and I'll be looking at how these countries used the Arthurian narrative for their own nationalist ambitions. I'll be staying in Cardiff as I have been lucky enough to secure funding.

Welcome! :wavey:

Sounds like an exciting project! The manuscript that I'm studying for my thesis is one of the ones that interpolates bits and pieces of Geoffrey of Monmouth for it's own purposes along somewhat similar lines to what you're looking at, so I'm sure you'll probably come across it at some point.
Original post by ktr
Welcome! :wavey:

Sounds like an exciting project! The manuscript that I'm studying for my thesis is one of the ones that interpolates bits and pieces of Geoffrey of Monmouth for it's own purposes along somewhat similar lines to what you're looking at, so I'm sure you'll probably come across it at some point.

That does sound really interesting - I know bugger all about the medieval period but narratives of nationalism are right up my alley :smile:
[...] My dissertation will be on national foundation myths and how these influence the structures of Arthurian 'history'; I'll be looking at Brutus of Troy and the linear history in insular texts against the myth of the Holy Grail in continental cycles, and then looking at how these emerge in the later English tradition.

Meanwhile, my proposed PhD is on the afterlife of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia in England, Scotland, and Wales in the later medieval period, and I'll be looking at how these countries used the Arthurian narrative for their own nationalist ambitions. I'll be staying in Cardiff as I have been lucky enough to secure funding.

As ktr shows, there are a few medievalists/early modernists on here; hobnob is the other that springs to mind. (I do not even know if it is right to call you a medievalist, by the way, as my literary interests are the eighteenth and nineteenth century based). But good luck with your dissertation and welcome to GOGSoc!
Original post by IlexAquifolium
That does sound really interesting - I know bugger all about the medieval period but narratives of nationalism are right up my alley :smile:

Hahah, yeh. I was thinking something very different at the start of that thesis description until I hit the medieval bit.
My dissertation will be on national foundation myths and how these influence the structures of Arthurian 'history'; I'll be looking at Brutus of Troy and the linear history in insular texts against the myth of the Holy Grail in continental cycles, and then looking at how these emerge in the later English tradition.

Welcome, from the token physical scientist around here!
Thanks to you both :smile:.

My dissertation will be on national foundation myths and how these influence the structures of Arthurian 'history'; I'll be looking at Brutus of Troy and the linear history in insular texts against the myth of the Holy Grail in continental cycles, and then looking at how these emerge in the later English tradition.

Welcome :mad:

I am not a student any more :frown: But I am a graduate :mad: :mad: :mad:

You dissertation and PhD sound amazing. I looked into doing an MA in medieval studies at the end of my BA, but it was unfortunately not financially viable.
Reply 1586
Hi all,

I lurk round TSR occasionally, so thought I'd formally introduce myself on this thread since my MA dissertation period is rapidly approaching, and I'm a little apprehensive about starting my PhD in October when most people move on and its just me and my thesis o_O.

Saying that, I'm not sure introducing myself when I have two essays to be getting on with is the best move, heh XD.

Welcome :biggrin:
Reply 1587
Thanks to you both :smile:.

:hello:
So my department has just allocated me four MA students to supervise :beard: It looks like I'll know a lot about Chinese media by the end of the summer :p:

Meanwhile I hope its not as much work as it sounds :erm:
Reply 1589
Original post by Craghyrax
So my department has just allocated me four MA students to supervise :beard: It looks like I'll know a lot about Chinese media by the end of the summer :p:

Meanwhile I hope its not as much work as it sounds :erm:

Probably more. :p: But congrats! Good to know they have faith in you.

I just had a wonderful lightbulb in my Qualitative Methods class about my PhD topix. I pretty much have a not so vague outline for it now. Woohoo. :woo:

Welcome, Sil. Completely not my area, but interesting ideas.
I have had a coffee, and now feel like I'm on speed. Shaky, brain a million miles an hour and can't concentrate on anything for more than two seconds. This is not helpful for work.
Hi all,

I lurk round TSR occasionally, so thought I'd formally introduce myself on this thread since my MA dissertation period is rapidly approaching, and I'm a little apprehensive about starting my PhD in October when most people move on and its just me and my thesis o_O.

Saying that, I'm not sure introducing myself when I have two essays to be getting on with is the best move, heh XD.

Welcome to the Soc :hi: I'm TLG, resident muso :musicus:

Your topics sound so interesting. Huge congrats on getting a funded PhD as well - that's amazing :biggrin: :king1: :woo:
Reply 1592

Hi there, and contratulations on getting a funded place at Cardiff, that sounds great! I tangled with some Middle English Arthurian texts (Malory, and the Stanzaic and Alliterative Mortes ('Mortes'?)) during my undergraduate dissertation. (I was interested in penance and selfhood in non/less-introspective texts, since normally people seem to go looking for that stuff in Margery Kempe, the Pearl-poet &c &c.) I'm not really on top of the Arthurian tradition as a whole, though. Good luck with the masters dissertation!
Thank you all for the welcome, and for the pointers :biggrin:.

Original post by Craghyrax
:hello:
To be honest, a PhD isn't any different to other big life changes. So you can't really avoid it whether you do a PhD or just get a job. In all cases your friends move on, and you're forced to establish new networks. Also it becomes harder because undergrad and Masters are - I think - unusual life situations in which a lot of people are put together in a situation where they share similar experiences/stage of life/have a lot of disposable time on their hands and are all open to and seeking out friendships.
In more normal 'grown up' situations, people have a lot less time, you're surrounded by people who are at different stages/walks of life, and who are not necessarily keen to invest in new relationships.

But yeh... you'll adjust and find new ways of making friends and establishing networks. And anyway, you'd have to adapt to that no matter what you did.

Thank you for the advice - with the last few weeks of teaching on the MA left, I definitely value my course mates more, and even research methods has its ups being able to talk to people. Of course being a researcher you have to be able to do things on your own initiative, but some of the time I start questioning how much I can take by myself. New people to meet come October though, and I'm lucky enough to live with 2 of my course mates at the moment.

Original post by Becca
Welcome :mad:

I am not a student any more :frown: But I am a graduate :mad: :mad: :mad:

You dissertation and PhD sound amazing. I looked into doing an MA in medieval studies at the end of my BA, but it was unfortunately not financially viable.

Nice to meet more medieval enthusiasts around here. If you do get the chance to pursue medieval studies at postgrad then I definitely recommend it :smile:.

Original post by QHF
Hi there, and contratulations on getting a funded place at Cardiff, that sounds great! I tangled with some Middle English Arthurian texts (Malory, and the Stanzaic and Alliterative Mortes ('Mortes'?)) during my undergraduate dissertation. (I was interested in penance and selfhood in non/less-introspective texts, since normally people seem to go looking for that stuff in Margery Kempe, the Pearl-poet &c &c.) I'm not really on top of the Arthurian tradition as a whole, though. Good luck with the masters dissertation!

Oh, that sounds like an interesting angle to explore some of those texts from - no doubt you dabbled with the Grail quest and such? The Alliterative Morte is probably one of my favourite Middle English texts as well :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1594
Oh, that sounds like an interesting angle to explore some of those texts from - no doubt you dabbled with the Grail quest and such? The Alliterative Morte is probably one of my favourite Middle English texts as well :smile:.

From memory I talked quite a lot about Gawain's experience -- maybe, non-experience! -- of the Grail quest in Malory, and dug into the control of formal and informal address in Gawain's confessional conversations with hermits. And yeah, the Alliterative M. is great fun. I still read bits of it for pleasure now and then. I really like the Wheel of Fortune dream and some of the battle-speeches. I also wrote an essay about its presentation in the Lincoln Thornton MS last year, though unfortunately most of the essay was pretty bad. It was a learning experience.
(edited 11 years ago)

Nice to meet more medieval enthusiasts around here. If you do get the chance to pursue medieval studies at postgrad then I definitely recommend it :smile:.

Sadly I think that time has past. Any postgrad studies I do now will have to be based around the teaching profession. I have actually recently developed quite an interest in numeracy development, which is very odd because I found Maths incredibly hard at school! Although maybe that's why...

I will just have to spend the rest of my life fondly remembering the Grail myths module I did in final year :moon:
Reply 1596
Original post by Becca
Sadly I think that time has past. Any postgrad studies I do now will have to be based around the teaching profession. I have actually recently developed quite an interest in numeracy development, which is very odd because I found Maths incredibly hard at school! Although maybe that's why...

I will just have to spend the rest of my life fondly remembering the Grail myths module I did in final year :moon:

You scare me.
Reply 1597
On the BBC news website there is an article with the title "Scientists 'read dreams' using brain scans". Exciting, right? Apart from the fact they only used 3 participants, identified "broad categories" and only made correct predictions 60% of the time :facepalm:

(All hail the rise of popular neuro*******s!)
Reply 1598
Original post by Bluth.
On the BBC news website there is an article with the title "Scientists 'read dreams' using brain scans". Exciting, right? Apart from the fact they only used 3 participants, identified "broad categories" and only made correct predictions 60% of the time :facepalm:

(All hail the rise of popular neuro*******s!)

And people try to tell me science isn't like religion. :mmm:
Reply 1599
Does anyone know what the ACTUAL research training guidelines are under AHRC? Ie the stuff you have to do for personal and skills development?

I had a brain scan yesterday and I wasn't dreaming that's for sure! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending