The Student Room Group

Can I become a investment banker with a business degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Numan786
I wonder if you can get in with a physics degree rather than an economics one ??

Degree doesn't matter as long as it's not from the likes of Media Studies.
Reply 121
its tough enough to be an IB if you dont get into the top 5 unis, doing business which is all fairness is not seen as the most respectable subject itll be difficult. Not impossible though, my cousin started out as an analyst at UBS but you need at the bare minimum a 1:1 in your degree and to make up for the education you lack you will have to do an insane amount of networking to get the right contacts to get you places tbh. Not for the faint hearted plus your a female, sexism does exist fact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
I've applied for accounting and finance, my IB dreams are ****ed already too :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
90% of the people on here have no idea what they're talking about, this forum should make it so that only certain people can reply to posts giving advice.
Reply 124
It seems that half of these people in this thread don't know what IB entails or is just very ignorant of the fact that they think IB is the same thing as being a trader/quants analyst...

It is possible to get into IB with your degree and I know of people who studied business or similar degrees (from top unis to mid tier RG unis) that have gained internships/grad schemes in M&A/IB-related roles from either the big4 or BB banks. But of course applications within this industry is highly competitive.

As mentioned earlier, look at some of the linkedin profiles regarding IB roles and you would see that there are just as many who've studied business or acc/fin degrees compared to people who studied economic degrees.
There is so much crap here it's unreal.....

3 basic factors:

Networking - family/friends/if not get off your arse and go meet people/go to events etc
What university/course (even history can be fine because its a traditionally hard degree) - gives you a leg up not a job
Interest in finance - doing economics can be an easy way to show this but there are other ways

sorry for digging up an old thread but I was reading the thread about where all the good people went on tsr for ib and there's so much misinformation.
Original post by AnimalSpirit
You forgot CAMFORD, OXFORD, and FORDBRIDGE :wink:

Not going into investment banking but THIS POST IS TOO GOOD :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending