The Student Room Group

Investment Banking

Hi,
I am considering becoming an investment banker with following predicted grades: maths (a*) further maths (a*) chemistry (a*) biology (a*). I would ideally want to go University. what sort of degree do you think I should do? Many thanks
Reply 1
If you want to go into investment banking an ideal degree would be in finance, economics or business and even if you change your mind about that career those degrees would still be useful in any finance job.
Reply 2
Original post by Presentt
If you want to go into investment banking an ideal degree would be in finance, economics or business and even if you change your mind about that career those degrees would still be useful in any finance job.

hi, thanks for your response. do you think i would be able to get into lse/cambrdige economics given than i dont do a-level eco? my second question is that could i do any other degree at lse and go into investment banking through that route? many thanks
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous48
hi, thanks for your response. do you think i would be able to get into lse/cambrdige economics given than i dont do a-level eco? my second question is that could i do any other degree at lse and go into investment banking through that route? many thanks

It isn’t necessary to have done economics as an a level and the fact that you’ve done both maths and further maths is really good as well. One thing though is that doing econ as an a level means you have background on the subject and you can showcase that knowledge in your personal statement and interview however it is not a requirement at all, the only thing you really need is a strong background in maths which you have. Just recommend that you read a lot of books or blogs to do with economics so you can show you have an understanding in the field and that you are well read on the subject. You could also study finance at lse, I’ve read that the course is really good xx
Reply 4
Original post by Presentt
It isn’t necessary to have done economics as an a level and the fact that you’ve done both maths and further maths is really good as well. One thing though is that doing econ as an a level means you have background on the subject and you can showcase that knowledge in your personal statement and interview however it is not a requirement at all, the only thing you really need is a strong background in maths which you have. Just recommend that you read a lot of books or blogs to do with economics so you can show you have an understanding in the field and that you are well read on the subject. You could also study finance at lse, I’ve read that the course is really good xx

hi, thanks for your suggestion. i was considering finance at lse, however, i believe that they are only one of the very few unis that offer pure finance (please do correct me if i am wrong). my personal statement is probably going to only focus on finance which would mean that i can only apply to a few unis (those that offer finance). i am sorry if this is starting to sound a bit waffly 🙂 but i hope u get what i mean. What do u suggest i do in that sort of situation? like what courses should i apply for and should be ps focus solely on finance. sorry for so many questions. I appreciate your help.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous48
hi, thanks for your suggestion. i was considering finance at lse, however, i believe that they are only one of the very few unis that offer pure finance (please do correct me if i am wrong). my personal statement is probably going to only focus on finance which would mean that i can only apply to a few unis (those that offer finance). i am sorry if this is starting to sound a bit waffly 🙂 but i hope u get what i mean. What do u suggest i do in that sort of situation? like what courses should i apply for and should be ps focus solely on finance. sorry for so many questions. I appreciate your help.

You can make your personal statement more broad about your interest in business and how money gets into our hands, how you are fascinated by the systems that are put together and are the backbone of businesses and huge profit organisations. Talk about books you have read and make sure those books are a mix maybe one to do with finance and the other with economics. It will be hard but not impossible to make your personal statement be applicable to both econ and pure finance. Also I know that Durham University has a pure finance degree and that St Andrews offers a degree in financial economics, a perfect mix of those two topics. It seems that you want to apply to Cambridge but I would like to add that oxford does economics and management meaning with the management aspect you would also be learning some business and finance.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending