The Student Room Group

Not feeling confident after passing driving test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I feel exactly like this. I passed a month ago, but I got my car just over a week ago. I can only drive with my bf in the car...and even then I'm scared to do big roundabouts. To get to work I either have to go on the motorway (which I've never ever done but this is the easiest and quickest route to get around) or I go the other way with lots of huge roundabouts..I've been catching the bus lol. My bus pass runs out the 16th so I'm giving myself til then to get my ass in to gear. The thing that terrifies me the most is my lane discipline and other drivers, they have no patience and I get shaky. I feel as though I shouldn't have passed like it must've been a mistake.
Hi.

The only advice is i can give is persevere. I use to make myself go places even though I did not need too. Have you tried commentary driving? I found it helped s lot, it will get better.
Hey everyone. I passed my test a month ago and bough a car just over a week ago. Similar problems here to others and really feel like I can't drive! Not sure how I passed because I have no idea what Lane I need to be in in busy areas or what exit I need to take especially at big junctions and roundabouts. Learnt in a diesel Ford Focus and now driving a 1 litre Peugeot 107 which I hate. It's revving off the scale and I know it's my fault but it's so much harder and noisier to drive than the focus. Had some motorway lessons but still using my instructors car but I'm still making mistakes in that - I drove in a bus lane today and haven't got a clue what I'm doing at the huge roundabouts when you come off the motorway. Any advice ? I'm too scared to drive my car :frown:
Hey bogglesbury.

I'm still making mistakes and I've been driving for a few months now, even experienced drivers make mistakes. As I've said before, have you tried commentary driving? I find it helps alot, you don't have time to panic or stress as you are talking to your self about what you are doing.
I feel the same way. My road is very tight to park. I can't sleep properly thinking. I just hope i will get more confident
Original post by NatashaLee
Well what the title says really....I passed on the 21st December (first time 6 minors) And very luckily got a car for Christmas, which i love and im not being ungrateful I just don't feel confident in driving, and soon I'll be driving from Bradford to Huddersfield every week day so i kinda need to sort myself out. I have been out a few times, for the first time just round the block, then when i got stuck on a slight hill junction (thank god nobody was behind me) stalling 10 times i decided to text my instructor, and so on monday i went out for a drive in my car with him and i did originally feel much better. I did stall quite a few times in my first 10 minutes but after that i was okay. Think this is due to learning in a diesel car and now having a petrol, i preferred it a lot more when i didn't need to set the gas when moving off at junctions and whatnot I think I'm so nervous and not confident for these factors With the setting the gas not being something i used to do in the car i learnt in, now i worry when i get to a junction i may stall and possibly be in a dangerous position to others.Im scared of hills because in case i roll back, i rolled back a tad (just a tad) before going on a slight hill and some traffic lights, i have got P plates on for the time being hoping that people would give me a bit of extra space but at the time the guy behind me was right behind me, quite astonished i didn't hit him (although i know it would of been my fault for rolling back) But this is why it scares me I also feel much more under pressure when I'm on main roads (and not just going round the block in my area) Because although i have P plates it just seems everyones annoyed with me just being there :/ Its actually making me quite upset, and kinda regretting ever passing I think hills and stalling and my main issues which make me nervous, They also make practicing hard. Because when i think about going out for a drive i consider where i would go, then realize i would probably get lost (i have a sat nav but don't want to be too concentrated on that instead of the roads) Plus to get off my street there is 2 roundabouts then its down into town and lots of slights hills so it scares me before i even get on the road. -----Anyone else felt like this after passing? or is it just me? How long does it last?Any tips? Apart from just saying 'go practice' any tips on what to practice, how etc?
Hi, Just reading your issue. I know this was 5 years ago, but I am currently in this situation, literally exactly the same! Did you do anything to help you? I assume you have no issues at all now and are completely confident. :smile:
Original post by racheldx
Hi, Just reading your issue. I know this was 5 years ago, but I am currently in this situation, literally exactly the same! Did you do anything to help you? I assume you have no issues at all now and are completely confident. :smile:

The OP most likely won't reply.

But when I passed (first time, one minor) I got my car within two weeks and it was completely different to the one I learned in. I learned in a 1.4l diesel and my car is 1l petrol so pedals are higher, lighter and I learned clutch first, gas second routine. So when I got my petrol car, I had to start from scratch and do gas first, clutch second.

I also feared stalling in traffic, and hill starts. I've stalled more often on flat road, than on hills. But more often than not, I get stuck in traffic on flat roads. And it is nerve recking, esp when cars are so close behind you. When I'm at the lights and by myself, I used to always hope no one will get behind me by the time my lights turn green. But it's silly thinking like that.

It takes time and practice to get familiar with driving and getting use to your car. I reverse park on my drive and every single time for about two weeks (cause there's an incline on my drive) I struggled to get up it and stalled about 4-6 times every single time. There was a point when I'd just park on my road because I felt defeated. But one time, I randomly figured out what I needed to do, and it's been about 5/6 weeks now that I can park on my drive without any struggle.

If you're scared of stalling in traffic (flat road or otherwise), put your handbrake on and gear stick in neutral. Keep an eye out on what other traffic lights are doing - usually if the one to either left or right of you start to turn red, it means your lights are about to turn green. So when I know cars are either slowing down or their amber light has shown, I use gas, clutch then handbrake and off I go. I will go as slow as I choose to. Don't worry about what other drivers are doing behind you, they can get in the right lane when they have a chance. If you're in a queue, I'd say count the car (as in the 2nd car in front of you) and when their break lights disappear, I'd set up my moving off position/controls and by the time I'm done, the car in front of me is just slowly moving so I know that I can start moving slowly and won't panic about raising my clutch too quickly which ends up stalling the car.

The more driving you do, the more you'll get use to it. I've been driving around 80 miles a week because of work and it all comes naturally (eventually). It's been 3 weeks since I haven't stalled in traffic.

I've only been driving since the start of November and if it makes you feel better, on the weekend, my sibling got in the car with me and as we were driving back from shopping they told me I hadn't got my headlights on. I thought I had and she told me I literally hadn't... So since the first time I got my car and driving in darkness (early hour shift work or night time driving), I hadn't been driving with my headlights on lool. Even drove on A38 to Derby at night with thrashing rain without them on! Surprised no one flashed or honked me. Not even police cars I've been next to stopped me. I'd drive with my side lights (thought those were my headlights) but never drove with my headlights on (I do now though)!

So don't be as stupid as I was and you'll be fine. Making mistakes is all part of learning. Get yourself front and rear dashcam with bumper stickers and get yourself P plates too. Since having my dash cam, so many drivers keep their distance or move to the right lane! You'll get the hang of it in no time.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi I feel your way now I have only recently passed I know you wrote this a while back so I wanted to know how u feel now ? Do you feel confident now that’s you’ve been driving a long time. I am constantly scared when I have someone behind me I panic and over think everything thinking they are annoyed at me any tips on helping me calm down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending