The Student Room Group

Why is my temperature gauge always near the bottom?

The temperature gauge always looks to be right at the bottom, It is always on low instead of half way which is where it would be in summer. is it just because it is cold and winter?

My fan blows hot air so apparently it is not the head gasket, Could it be the thermostat? haven't heard the cooling fan kick in for ages either?? perhaps that's to do with the cold as well?

any ideas plz ppl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It'll take a couple or more miles to warm up during the winter.

Is it going up at all?
Reply 2
Yeh could be the thermostat is stuck open, how many miles are you doing and what car is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Running the heater on full blast takes a lot heat away from the engine. If it's only when the heater is on high and the air temperature is very low, that could explain it.
Reply 4
because of the winter and it's totally fine. Just keep driving. the only gauge you should worried about when driving is the fuel gauge :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by lazyboi
because of the winter and it's totally fine. Just keep driving. the only gauge you should worried about when driving is the fuel gauge :biggrin:

or the revs. 8000 RPM you say? :smile:
Reply 6
Does it even have a thermostat in it?
Reply 7
Original post by Sol1dShot
or the revs. 8000 RPM you say? :smile:

:biggrin: No need of that. 8000 rpm might **** it up in the long run if it's a small engine. After you start the car, just wait for a minute and you'll be good to go. high rev on a cool engine is not a good idea. it's ok if the temp gauge is low. nothing to worry about
Reply 8
Original post by lazyboi

What a ridiculous thing to say, certain cars are prone to blow HG's and more so if it's an old engine.

As people have said in winter it can take longer to warm the engine as the air entering the engine is much colder and you'll more than likely have your heaters on in the car which draws heat away from the engine. Drive the car for a good 30 minutes and then see if the stat moves to where it should.

Depending on the car could be a thermostat, wiring fault, coolant temp sensor etc
Reply 9
Original post by lazyboi
:biggrin: No need of that. 8000 rpm might **** it up in the long run if it's a small engine. After you start the car, just wait for a minute and you'll be good to go. high rev on a cool engine is not a good idea. it's ok if the temp gauge is low. nothing to worry about

Maybe for you, but (when i get it) my lambo will laugh at 8k revs!
Reply 10
My S2000 laughs at 8k revs, as do most Honda and Toyota vvi engines, nothing that special.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gbduo
Yeh could be the thermostat is stuck open, how many miles are you doing and what car is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Camoxide
It'll take a couple or more miles to warm up during the winter.

Is it going up at all?

Original post by FXX
Running the heater on full blast takes a lot heat away from the engine. If it's only when the heater is on high and the air temperature is very low, that could explain it.

Thanks everyone. Car is an Astra. Even after driving down the motorway it still remains on the low, though the other day it did move about an inch up and went back down again but has remained on low ever since?
Reply 12
Original post by Young & Ready
Thanks everyone. Car is an Astra. Even after driving down the motorway it still remains on the low, though the other day it did move about an inch up and went back down again but has remained on low ever since?

Yeah definitely a problem there. Hopefully only cosmetic because if the ecu thinks the engine is cold you'll be constantly running rich.
Reply 13
Thermostat is cheap and consumable so I would start there.

You can do your tests, but when a new part is less than £10 I would just replace.
Original post by gbduo
My S2000 laughs at 8k revs, as do most Honda and Toyota vvi engines, nothing that special.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even my 125cc Yamaha engine will do 8,000 rpm happily...

What Astra is it? I've got an mk4 (or G) And the engines are massively over cooled and the thermostats aren't brilliant.

Mine gets warmed up to the middle of the gauge. But if you do any driving where air is getting pushed into the car like motorway or dual carriageway the gauge always drops down to near 80 until you slow down again.
Reply 16
As others have said it's most likely the thermostat.It's not much of a problem and your car will be fine, it's just the engine works more efficient when it's warm. Depending on where the thermo is located it can be a DIY Job.

You can just run it like that though, shouldn't be any harm done to the engine. It's still hot, just not enough to push the indicator up.
Reply 17
Er...that is not strictly true, having cold cylinder liners causes corrosion from dew forming in the block which then mixes with the sulphur in the fuel and forms sulphuric acid.
Original post by gbduo
Er...that is not strictly true, having cold cylinder liners causes corrosion from dew forming in the block which then mixes with the sulphur in the fuel and forms sulphuric acid.

Who are you replying to here?

Original post by Arron17
What Astra is it? I've got an mk4 (or G) And the engines are massively over cooled and the thermostats aren't brilliant.

Mine gets warmed up to the middle of the gauge. But if you do any driving where air is getting pushed into the car like motorway or dual carriageway the gauge always drops down to near 80 until you slow down again.

Astra Club

Astra Club

I mean what generation, like is it 1998-2005, or 2004-2010 or 2009>

Latest

Trending

Trending