The Student Room Group

Adult nursing degree

I am looking at potential nursing degrees will be going in as a mature learner and giving up main employment. The universities I am looking at are Huddersfield (blended learning), NTU Mansfield and Derby universities (Mansfield). I am trying to get a gauge on whether they can place you in a placement nearer to where you live? Also how many days are you expected to travel to campus from the Nottinghamshire area so need to factor in travel time. Any information from current or completed students would be a tremendous help how did you find it? Did you manage to work and earn a bit of income and did you cope with childcare?
Reply 1
Original post by Louise2300
I am looking at potential nursing degrees will be going in as a mature learner and giving up main employment. The universities I am looking at are Huddersfield (blended learning), NTU Mansfield and Derby universities (Mansfield). I am trying to get a gauge on whether they can place you in a placement nearer to where you live? Also how many days are you expected to travel to campus from the Nottinghamshire area so need to factor in travel time. Any information from current or completed students would be a tremendous help how did you find it? Did you manage to work and earn a bit of income and did you cope with childcare?

You can notify the university placement team officer about you living locally and they will try to assist you with the placements. But you can be asked to travel up to 90 minutes away from where you live.

You can work throughout your nursing degree..... When you are doing university studying blocks week's you can either chose to work a few hours at night or perhaps work the weekend.
When on placements then it gets tricky for you because you will need a very good manager to assist you with your shift patterns as you will be doing Nightshift, dayshift and weekend working. Most employers are flexible with helping students nurses.

At the time I was doing my nursing degree I worked alongside it throughout as I was already working in retailing full-time so I switched to part-time when I started my university nursing degree. I was able to work around my shifts patterns and still had time to myself. Unfortunately I didn't have children at the time but others have managed to do there nursing degree without any issues.

Your first priority is to make sure that you are always up-to-date with your coursework paperwork etc and then enjoy your nights out on the town.

Good luck with your decision on going to university as a student nurse.

A NHS registered midwife
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply!
I’m a teacher and looking for a career change and all of the above advice you have given has been helpful. It’s very difficult choosing a university as the degrees all look equally as good as one another.
Reply 3
Original post by Louise2300

In England, universities offering nursing degrees have links with their local placement areas (the hospitals and community providers nearest to them). You don't just get randomly placed near where you live, it's all about which healthcare providers in their local area they're linked to. So, if you end up studying at Huddersfield, you placements will be... well, Huddersfield area - although, as Tracey says, there's an up to 90min commute time so you're more likely to be placed the Northampton side of Huddersfield.
Yes, you're perfectly able to pick up work alongside your nursing degree - I worked as a bank HCA the whole 3 years, and no I don't have children but plenty of people on my course had children and also worked alongside their nursing degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending