The Student Room Group

GCSEs are pointless

My friends and I were discussing this recently. In my opinion GCSEs have two objectives: firstly, to provide qualifications for employers to assess the candidate's academic ability, and secondly, to provide the skills/ knowledge to pursue those subjects to a higher level (A-levels, IB etc.).

Personally I think GCSEs fail on both counts. In regards to the first objective, GCSEs are quite easy. Most exams require only the smallest of efforts to get a pass, and little more to get a 'decent' pass; with only the tiniest of aptitudes being required for an A/A*. Employers are going to be none the wiser as to the academic ability of the candidate when the tests on those applicant are found to be wanting.

In regards to the second point an example would be useful. My first lesson of AS chemistry and the first thing my teacher says is: 'forget all you have learnt in chemistry before - it was too easy and simplistic.'The jump from GCSE to AS is ludicrous, of course as you climb the educational ladder it should get more taxing - but my chemistry class had straight A*s/ As in chemistry GCSE and only a few of us got As/ Bs - with most getting Cs and some Ds. I think it is therefore fairly safe to say that GCSEs are pretty useless for preparing students for further education.

Additionally why on Earth do they teach us such simplistic theories, if they are only to be shown to be wrong next term...

As a slight counter to my 'rant' - GCSEs are useful to some extent for some candidates who struggle academically. A friend of mine is going to join the army; he had no interest in academia and struggled academically. If GCSEs had been any tougher I think he would really have been in trouble. So I will say that GCSEs do provide some 'entry level' qualifications and are useful for those who struggle academically and have no wish to pursue those subjects or will ever use them.

Anyways, these are just my opinions. What do you guys think?
Reply 1
Original post by Muppet Science
My friends and I were discussing this recently. In my opinion GCSEs have two objectives: firstly, to provide qualifications for employers to assess the candidate's academic ability, and secondly, to provide the skills/ knowledge to pursue those subjects to a higher level (A-levels, IB etc.).

Personally I think GCSEs fail on both counts. In regards to the first objective, GCSEs are quite easy. Most exams require only the smallest of efforts to get a pass, and little more to get a 'decent' pass; with only the tiniest of aptitudes being required for an A/A*. Employers are going to be none the wiser as to the academic ability of the candidate when the tests on those applicant are found to be wanting.

In regards to the second point an example would be useful. My first lesson of AS chemistry and the first thing my teacher says is: 'forget all you have learnt in chemistry before - it was too easy and simplistic.'The jump from GCSE to AS is ludicrous, of course as you climb the educational ladder it should get more taxing - but my chemistry class had straight A*s/ As in chemistry GCSE and only a few of us got As/ Bs - with most getting Cs and some Ds. I think it is therefore fairly safe to say that GCSEs are pretty useless for preparing students for further education.

Additionally why on Earth do they teach us such simplistic theories, if they are only to be shown to be wrong next term...

As a slight counter to my 'rant' - GCSEs are useful to some extent for some candidates who struggle academically. A friend of mine is going to join the army; he had no interest in academia and struggled academically. If GCSEs had been any tougher I think he would really have been in trouble. So I will say that GCSEs do provide some 'entry level' qualifications and are useful for those who struggle academically and have no wish to pursue those subjects or will ever use them.

Anyways, these are just my opinions. What do you guys think?

Science is nothing but a succession of more complex theories replacing simpler ones.

What you are learning at A Level is also 'wrong', what you will learn at University is also 'wrong' and what the world's leading scientists know is 'wrong'. That is, if by 'wrong' we mean 'not a fundamental picture of reality'.

Simple models have uses - they provide us with a measure of understanding, and allow us to do things, which is most important.
Original post by Mbob
Science is nothing but a succession of more complex theories replacing simpler ones.

What you are learning at A Level is also 'wrong', what you will learn at University is also 'wrong' and what the world's leading scientists know is 'wrong'. That is, if by 'wrong' we mean 'not a fundamental picture of reality'.

Simple models have uses - they provide us with a measure of understanding, and allow us to do things, which is most important.

Yes I guess it is. But that tackles, to some extent, the second objective; but the initial objective is still not met, i.e. to provide worthwhile qualifications.
Well, GCSE's can be used as a measure of success in further education. Some sixth forms / colleges employ a minimum GCSE grade to take the same subject at A level, for example my sixth form will not allow you to do maths at A level if you got below an A at GCSE. They also provide a taste of A level subjects, so you can work out over three years what you want to do. I discovered that I did not want to do History at A level because it turns out I have a shocking memory for dates.

They can also be used by students that only wish to attend school up to the compulsory age. If they want to go and get a job without all the fees of university then that's fine. Of course they don't seem like they help you two years down the line when you've got A levels under your belt, but you could argue that A levels or even degrees have no value to get a job because 10 years down the line what companies want is experience over degrees. In essence, it is a step ladder into the world of work. Maybe with A levels you get a bigger step ladder, but the guy with GCSEs started climbing before you.

And also, GCSE's really do prepare you for A levels. It's not so much the topics but the skills you learn, whether that is how to deal with time constraints, how to structure essays or how to tick all the boxes in a mark scheme.
Reply 4
Original post by Muppet Science

In regards to the first objective, GCSEs are quite easy. Most exams require only the smallest of efforts to get a pass, and little more to get a 'decent' pass; with only the tiniest of aptitudes being required for an A/A*. Employers are going to be none the wiser as to the academic ability of the candidate when the tests on those applicant are found to be wanting.

This is nonsense and I can only assume that you have limited experience with people who are at or below "average" intelligence
If gcses are that easy then why is the government target as low as 5 Cs? I went to the best high school in my town, but not even 50% of kids get 5 gcses there!

IMO this is why a 2 tier system of academic schools and vocational schools like the old grammar schools and secondary moderns is best. BUT I think 11 is too early to decide which kids go to. maybe year 9, to then decide is their capable of academic qualifications, or if they're more suited to vocational courses. Of course even if they go down the vocational route they would still be taught maths and english, but they could do more hands on and creative courses alongside them rather than subjects such as history or french. And also those who go down the academic route should be given the option to do Igcses, to lessen the gap between gcses and a-levels.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending