The Student Room Group

Triple Science vs Combined Higher

I'm in Year 10 and I'm currently in a top set science class. In my school, during Year 10 they make everyone do combined science higher/foundation until the end of the year where they determine whether you study combined or triple in year 11. In my most recent mock, I got an 8-7, which I'm not too happy with considering I dropped 2 grades in biology despite improving in physics, and I'm worried that I may be dropped from triple science.

Only the Top 60 in my year , our of 280, get to do triple science, and while I personally would much rather do combined higher due to the similar amount of difficulty and the significant lack in content so I could higher grades, and the fact I have no interest in pursuing a science based career, I'm worried having one less GCSE will make me less credible. I was told that if I do move out of triple science, I most definitely will be put into Combined Higher, but I'm still quite skeptical.

If I do combined, I will have a higher chance of getting all 9s, which is my dream, but if I do triple I will have one more GCSE, but potentially at a worse grade. Though I would much rather do combined science, I would like to do law in Oxford, which has been by dream since I was extremely young, and I'm worried having one less GCSE in the scenario that I do combined will put me at an disadvantage amongst other applicants in the future.

Can someone please let me know if me worrying about this is pointless or if it actually has some significance?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
I don't think it will matter that much for law. Oxbridge do look at gcses but for law I would imagine they're much more interested your essay subjects than sciences. A good overall gcse grade will help an application but probably not as much as you think (I got a 7 in gcse further maths and have an offer for Cambridge physical sciences... and that subject is actually related to the degree!). When you say fewer gcses, how many? 9 10 or even 8 I would say won't really affect ur application. I did 12 and I don't think it gave me any advantage tbh.
A levels are way more important than gcses. If you're really stressed about having fewer gcses maybe consider 4 a levels, both because it's pretty standard for oxbridge apps and because it proves you can manage a big workload.

Quick Reply

Latest