The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

University of Plymouth or Manchester Met

Hello all. I have applied to Plymouth and Manchester Met (alongside Staffordshire, Middlesex and Beds) for International Business and I have received all 5 offers. I know for a fact Staffordshire will be my insurance (I also applied to Middlesex and Beds) but I am having difficulty deciding which one to firm. I went to Plymouth, I loved it, relaxed and laid back atmosphere, nice down to earth people also, it is atleast 30 places higher in the Guardian league table than Manchester Met. But Manchester Met on the other hand, is closer to home (which is Birmingham) it seems like a very friendly place and by the looks of it, there's always something to do.

So my question is, are league tables a reliable indicator of which is the better universiy to go to and please could you give me your views on the 2 uni's, it would be great if you have actually studied at one of the universities aswell (personal experience).
Reply 1
Original post by MissLinC
Hello all. I have applied to Plymouth and Manchester Met (alongside Staffordshire, Middlesex and Beds) for International Business and I have received all 5 offers. I know for a fact Staffordshire will be my insurance (I also applied to Middlesex and Beds) but I am having difficulty deciding which one to firm. I went to Plymouth, I loved it, relaxed and laid back atmosphere, nice down to earth people also, it is atleast 30 places higher in the Guardian league table than Manchester Met. But Manchester Met on the other hand, is closer to home (which is Birmingham) it seems like a very friendly place and by the looks of it, there's always something to do.

So my question is, are league tables a reliable indicator of which is the better universiy to go to and please could you give me your views on the 2 uni's, it would be great if you have actually studied at one of the universities aswell (personal experience).

Hi,
I currently study at UoP doing Physical Geog and Geology but one of my house mates does international business and he loves it. The business school here is great - they give you £200 to spend towards books in your first year along with loads of other free stuff, and a faculty welcome party etc in freshers week so you can get to know your lecturers and course mates before it all starts. It's really well organised and the staff are always on hand if you need help. You'll get assigned a personal tutor who is also on hand to help with both personal and academic issues, and also to be a friendly face!
I'd really recommend plymouth, it's a great place to be and everyone is so welcoming and accepting of different people. I know it's a long way, i'm around 500 miles from home myself but it's really worth it. I'm not trying to persuade you into coming here, but league tables do mean something, and with such a significant difference between the two i'd really seriously consider coming here. The opportunities are endless!
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello Eliza123 how are you doing? Thank you so much for responding, it means a lot.
I really do like Plymouth and your point on league tables has just really made me realise that I do seriously need to take that into consideration, besides, I believe Plymouth is best suited for me. And I like the idea of getting a chance to meet the tutors and potential class mates, that would be great.

In terms of the distance, I don't think it's goingto be as bad is I think it will be. A cousin of mine (lived in Zimbabwe all of his life, with his parents) moved to New York last year and he is loving it there, despite the distance. So I guess the distance between Birmingham and Plymouth could be worse.

I will be going to Plymouth on the 23rd of March for an Applicant Day, to see how things really are I will base my decision on my visit there but I think I am most probably going to select Plymouth as my firm.

Again, thank you for responding Eliza, it would be nice to hear from you again : )
Reply 3
Im from Plymouth and currently studying at University of Birmingham and I seriously hate it here. Planning on moving to UoP in september even though its 40 places behind Bham in the tables. If you really think distance will be a problem then you should think pretty hard about it.
Reply 4
Update -
I ended up choosing Plymouth as my firm and Staffordshire as my Insurance...
But I have now decided that I want to study Nursing instead of International Business (long story). So I asked Staffordshire and Plymouth to release me, Staff's has, just waiting on Plymouth now. And I will be applying to Coventry for Adult Nursing through extra.

I know it's very, VERY competitive but I am still going to try my luck..x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending