The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Gateway Science B 24/1/13 (Core Science B1 C1 P1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JosieH98
Damn, that's what a lot of my friends put too.
I'm not sure how many marks it was worth, but if it was worth 2 they'll probably still give you one.

don't worry both of your answers are right
who else thought the biology 6 mork question was a killer
Original post by sunil111
i found it really hard, can i ask u what u put for the these questions :

Also for the vaccination question i put

Vaccination injects a harmless pathegon into your body however white blood cells will kill it however when they do some remember this pathegon so when you get it again it is automatically killed without you knowing.

can u tel me what u put for these questions thanks.

I didn't sit this exam, but for the vaccination question, if it was out of three marks, you'd probably only score 1, due to the lack of scientific terminology used.

If the question was asking to describe what vaccination is I would say:

Vaccination is the process in which a inactive or significantly weakened pathogen is injected into your body. The body's immune system is triggered, like it always is if a foreign invader enters your body. The white blood cells send out specific antibodies that bind to the pathogen. Like always this stops the movement of the pathogen and it then engulfed. After it has been removed from the system, memory cells remain. Therefore if an active pathogen enters your body, your immune system be able to quickly reproduce the same type of antibodies, therefore leading to the vaccinated person not being affected by the disease.

And for the other question, you would need to mention the hydrophobic and hydrophilic parts of an emulsifier and how it causes them to bind. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alongfortheride1
who else thought the biology 6 mork question was a killer

What was it about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunil111
for the darker skin one i put :

darker skin absorbs uv radiation

most of my friends put that as well.

Also for the first question the units one do you think i could be marked down because i put the guy has 4.4 units of alcohol however the answer is 4.45

That is not scientifically correct. Yes, if it was a two marker you would score 1 but if it was only worth a mark then I don't think you would score the mark. You need to mention how people that have darker skin produce more melanin, which makes it harder for Ultra-Violet radiation to penetrate through the skin.

I think melanin is the key word here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Oh good, I put melanin. It was never mentioned by my teacher, so I didn't explain how it worked. Hopefully still got 1 mark or something though
Reply 26
Hi
do you all think that this paper was easier or harder than the mock papers available :smile: considering there was only 1 I think:smile:???
Is this foundation level ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending