The Student Room Group

Scared about student finance - What does it take into account?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dendodge
Student finance doesn't consider halls to be your primary residence. It's just their rules.

Well tough because it is. My payslips, my bank statements, everything comes here now.

I'll give them a call tomorrow anyway. I don't want to walk around like an outlaw :tongue:
Original post by Knalchemist
OP stated that she pays 'them' rent every week - so, based on that, I believe her parents are still 'together'.

OP you really need to declare your mother on the student finance application too. Student Finance are linked with HMRC. They can find out, without too much trouble, that your parents are married still (and together etc).

If they do over pay you for the coming year, they will certainly find out by next year. This means that any overpayment you'd need to pay back to them straight away. If you continue on to your next year at Uni, they take the money out of your entitlement for that year - potentially leaving you with nothing.

To the poster above - it doesn't matter whether your mother can afford to give you money or not, you still need to declare her income. So many students have parents that would rather squander their money on cars and bigger houses, rather than helping out their child in education - that is their choice to waste their money on that, not the governments.

My parents aren't still together, but its my Mum and stepdad. Do I put my stepdad on the form too?
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
My parents aren't still together, but its my Mum and stepdad. Do I put my stepdad on the form too?

Yes
Original post by katyness
But I don't live home! I live in halls, even during summer. I only go for Christmas and Easter because it is the time to be with family. I'm Christian, there is no way round it!

I only said the single mum thing because someone was wondering if my parents were separated.

You can say all of this as many times as you want

You are still committing fraud ... now that is down to you and your conscience but you really should not be advising others to break the law
But I don't live home! I live in halls, even during summer. I only go for Christmas and Easter because it is the time to be with family. I'm Christian, there is no way round it!

But this is true for a lot of students. They're still classed as financially dependent on their parents.
Well tough because it is. My payslips, my bank statements, everything comes here now.

I'll give them a call tomorrow anyway. I don't want to walk around like an outlaw :tongue:

You can only live in halls for the duration of your degree (many uni's only offer halls to first years) therefore it cannot be your primary residence, as it's for educational purposes. If you withdrew from university, your lease would be frustrated.

What would you do if your uni, or the private accommodation you live in were unable to accommodate you for next year?

What are you going to do once your degree finishes?
Reply 26
Original post by Meat is Murder
It is not fraud if ones parents are separated; I only put my mum's name on my application because I live with her. The fact that I have a father is irrelevant because I don't see him at all often and he provides me with no financial support.

Edit: Perhaps I have missed the point. Did the above poster imply that she missed off her mother's name whilst her parents are still together and living in the same house?

The way she said it, I assumed she was being fraudulent. I also looked back at her past threads and she has one where she said that she didn't get round to putting her mum on the student finance thing, and was asking whether it would affect how much she got given.

I too have separated parents and so leaving my dad off was not fraud, although as he is unemployed it makes no difference so :tongue:
Reply 27

Halls just don't count as primary residence. I don't think they're allowed to count as a primary residence, regardless of whether you live there more or not.
Reply 28
Original post by TenOfThem
You can say all of this as many times as you want

You are still committing fraud ... now that is down to you and your conscience but you really should not be advising others to break the law

Yeah I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to find out

Original post by OU Student
But this is true for a lot of students. They're still classed as financially dependent on their parents.

No, most students go home for Christmas, Easter and summer breaks. I only go because I have to be with my family because they are religious breaks and I don't go for summer.

Original post by Knalchemist
You can only live in halls for the duration of your degree (many uni's only offer halls to first years) therefore it cannot be your primary residence, as it's for educational purposes. If you withdrew from university, your lease would be frustrated.

What would you do if your uni, or the private accommodation you live in were unable to accommodate you for next year?

What are you going to do once your degree finishes?

Well you're wrong, I live with a Spanish teacher. She finished her degree and is still living in halls.... Hmmm I wonder if she is financially dependent on her parents too.

Original post by ellieHA
Halls just don't count as primary residence. I don't think they're allowed to count as a primary residence, regardless of whether you live there more or not.

It was never about if I live there more or not, I simply don't live there.
Reply 29
It was never about if I live there more or not, I simply don't live there.

So by this logic you're not dependent on either of your parents, so why would you put even one of them on your application for student finance?

You can't count halls as your primary residence. They do not count. You legally still 'live' at home. Ok?

If everyone could just claim that their halls are their primary residence and that they're not dependent on their parents then don't you think people would claim as such so they'd get all of the loan and grant from SF?
Reply 30
Original post by ellieHA
So by this logic you're not dependent on either of your parents, so why would you put even one of them on your application for student finance?

You can't count halls as your primary residence. They do not count. You legally still 'live' at home. Ok?

If everyone could just claim that their halls are their primary residence and that they're not dependent on their parents then don't you think people would claim as such so they'd get all of the loan and grant from SF?

Exactly, that's why I don't.

Well no because in some cases you get more if you include your parents. That's why people should.

But the point I was trying to make is that I don't live at home AND I get that halls don't count but I think mine do because it's not just a student accommodation; like I mentioned above I've got a flatmate that doesn't go to uni anymore and there is a guy who never went to this uni and lives in my building too.

But yeah I'll get it sorted. It was an honest mistake, I thought it made sense not to include her because, as I said, I don't live there nor do I depend on her - I've actually got legal proof that I don't but that's too much information to include on a forum. I'll give them a call.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending