The Student Room Group

What should I do ???????

I’m currently taking a course which combines business and accounting, but I initially wanted to do accounting.

But in 1st yr I realised I don’t like accounting and tbh I find it hard too. So then I decided to just stick w the business side.

But everything is abit meh here too 😭 IDK WHAT IM GOING TO DO IN THE FUTURE 😭😭😭.

Bc im also doing a placement yr in my course, I’m tryna find a placement to increase my employability but EVERY COMPANY IS REJECTING ME 😭😭

I keep applying and have been applying since September and have updated my CV twice and have made several cover letters.

Before uni when we were asked in school “what do you like” or “what do you want to become”, I didn’t have a clue and I still don’t. I’m just sticking to this degree bc I’ve already ****ed myself up but I need to complete this degree since I’ve started it already and almost half way thru.

I don’t wanna be negative bc I have learnt stuff and it wasn’t a bad experience but what annoys me that I don’t think I see a good future ahead of myself. I don’t want to jinx it but idk I’m scared. I finally matured and now I have to fix myself up 😞

Are there any other ppl in a similar position?

Do u have any advice for me?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m currently taking a course which combines business and accounting, but I initially wanted to do accounting.

But in 1st yr I realised I don’t like accounting and tbh I find it hard too. So then I decided to just stick w the business side.

But everything is abit meh here too 😭 IDK WHAT IM GOING TO DO IN THE FUTURE 😭😭😭.

Bc im also doing a placement yr in my course, I’m tryna find a placement to increase my employability but EVERY COMPANY IS REJECTING ME 😭😭

I keep applying and have been applying since September and have updated my CV twice and have made several cover letters.

Before uni when we were asked in school “what do you like” or “what do you want to become”, I didn’t have a clue and I still don’t. I’m just sticking to this degree bc I’ve already ****ed myself up but I need to complete this degree since I’ve started it already and almost half way thru.

I don’t wanna be negative bc I have learnt stuff and it wasn’t a bad experience but what annoys me that I don’t think I see a good future ahead of myself. I don’t want to jinx it but idk I’m scared. I finally matured and now I have to fix myself up 😞

Hello,

I can empathise with your situation as I faced a similar dilemma during my undergraduate years. The key to overcoming such a situation is being proactive and improving yourself.
Firstly, I recommend engaging with career counsellors at your university. They will provide valuable insights and guidance to identify potential career paths. Meanwhile, tailoring your CV for every role you apply for, making it ATS-friendly by incorporating industry-specific keywords, and showcasing how your strengths align with the job requirements can significantly improve your chances.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/browse-a-to-z
Look into this website if you do not know about it already. You can look for the requirements of the role you are applying for and customise your CV according to them.
Secondly, try looking for any certifications to enhance your skill set further. I found it helpful during my undergrad years, and it helped me get a job after many unsuccessful attempts. Reflect on your interests and try finding something which you will enjoy.
Finally, networking events and interactions with recruiters provide valuable insights into the roles. Keep in touch with them through LinkedIn or any professional networking platforms, as it will allow you to understand the industry from a professional's point of view. This, in turn, will help you personalise your CV and stand out among other applicants.
Keep an open mind and stay positive. It takes so much effort to not give up during times like this, but in the end, it is worth investing your efforts to get you closer to finding the right fit. Do not stress so much about this, but stay resilient. Talk to your peers about how they overcome such challenges, which might also help. Keep pushing yourself!

Cheers,
MSc International Business Student.
Reply 2
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hello,

I can empathise with your situation as I faced a similar dilemma during my undergraduate years. The key to overcoming such a situation is being proactive and improving yourself.
Firstly, I recommend engaging with career counsellors at your university. They will provide valuable insights and guidance to identify potential career paths. Meanwhile, tailoring your CV for every role you apply for, making it ATS-friendly by incorporating industry-specific keywords, and showcasing how your strengths align with the job requirements can significantly improve your chances.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/browse-a-to-z
Look into this website if you do not know about it already. You can look for the requirements of the role you are applying for and customise your CV according to them.
Secondly, try looking for any certifications to enhance your skill set further. I found it helpful during my undergrad years, and it helped me get a job after many unsuccessful attempts. Reflect on your interests and try finding something which you will enjoy.
Finally, networking events and interactions with recruiters provide valuable insights into the roles. Keep in touch with them through LinkedIn or any professional networking platforms, as it will allow you to understand the industry from a professional's point of view. This, in turn, will help you personalise your CV and stand out among other applicants.
Keep an open mind and stay positive. It takes so much effort to not give up during times like this, but in the end, it is worth investing your efforts to get you closer to finding the right fit. Do not stress so much about this, but stay resilient. Talk to your peers about how they overcome such challenges, which might also help. Keep pushing yourself!

Cheers,

Hello,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE 🥺🥺!!!!

To be honest when I first applied for my course, I thought they’d provide more support with placements. But that wasn’t the case and I have to do everything myself 😢.

But hopefully everything will be fine and things will go well.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you do after your undergrad degree?

Bsc Business and Accounting student :smile:
Reply 3
Keep applying and don't give up, apply to summer internships and placements to increase your chances. Bro I was a useless computer science student in year 2 but I got lucky and got an internship, I killed it but didn't get return offer because of “business needs”. I was deverstated but I kept on apply for graduate programs, I have applied to 100+ and have gotten a lot of rejections but then also 6 assessment days, I got 1 offer and 1 pending. So don't give up bro, just stick it out and keep applying

Anon,

If there's a career's service at your university, I would definitely recommend that you check it out.
They will be able to provide you with support writing cover letters, CVs, and filling in application forms. They should also be able to help you with interview skills.

It might be an idea to try and get feedback to see if there is a reason the companies are saying no. You could ask someone to look over some of your cover letters and see if there are spelling errors or not enough about why you'd be great for the company.

Try also to think about it as good practice for life post uni. If you can get good at writing cover letters and CVs now, it will hopefully make it easier when you are looking for work.

Do try to be more positive. You'd be surprised at how negativity can seep into different things that a person does. It could be that your cover letters don't sound very enthusiastic or confident in comparison to other cover letters they are receiving.

Don't give up, but do try and get some advice on the best way to approach some of the companies that you are interested in.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

If there's a career's service at your university, I would definitely recommend that you check it out.
They will be able to provide you with support writing cover letters, CVs, and filling in application forms. They should also be able to help you with interview skills.

It might be an idea to try and get feedback to see if there is a reason the companies are saying no. You could ask someone to look over some of your cover letters and see if there are spelling errors or not enough about why you'd be great for the company.

Try also to think about it as good practice for life post uni. If you can get good at writing cover letters and CVs now, it will hopefully make it easier when you are looking for work.

Do try to be more positive. You'd be surprised at how negativity can seep into different things that a person does. It could be that your cover letters don't sound very enthusiastic or confident in comparison to other cover letters they are receiving.

Don't give up, but do try and get some advice on the best way to approach some of the companies that you are interested in.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hello Oluwatosin,

Yes, my university does have a careers service. I do need to visit them and do just as you said.

I also lack in interview skills so they should be able to help me out. This is mainly due to my lack of confidence but it should get better over time.

I think this whole application process, workload and commutes have just made me so much more negative. I try to look on the bright side of things but I can’t help but just think dark. I’m not sure if anyone else is like this, but whenever I get excited or happy for something or I’m jusf happy randomly, things take a turn and somehow go downhill. That’s why in a way I’m kind of scared of being happy or excited.

Hopefully, someday life will get better.

Thank you for all the valuable advice! 🫂
Anonymous

Your scaring me😭 because I’m going to study accounting and finance this sep. which is similar to what you are studying, and I’ve also heard it can be quite boring… is there anything in particular you don’t enjoy? Or is it the whole course that just isn’t it??
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
Your scaring me😭 because I’m going to study accounting and finance this sep. which is similar to what you are studying, and I’ve also heard it can be quite boring… is there anything in particular you don’t enjoy? Or is it the whole course that just isn’t it??

I’m sorry 😭

Tbh it depends on if ur good with numbers. If u feel happy, comfortable and understand numbers well - u will be fine.

In my case, calculations aren’t one of my strong points so I struggle a lot in the modules requiring calculations. ofc I try to go over it again and practice but idk it just doesn’t stick to me as well as it does to others 🤷🏻*♀️

Also it might depend on ur uni and lecturers. Some lecturers r nice and will explain things until u understand but some r ********s and don’t explain **** properly. Also one of my lecturers wouldn’t talk about assignments in the lectures 🤦🏻*♀️

I don’t really enjoy my course (although it is more business related than accounting) but I would’ve HATED doing accounting and finance cos of how much I hated the maths related modules (management accounting and financial accounting).

Management accounting is like using different methods to allocate costs to departments etc….

Financial accounting is like going through costs and info to make balance sheets/profit & loss statements etc…

Depending on ur uni the modules might be different too so do check and research about them properly.

Honestly I don’t think a lot of ppl in my yr actually enjoy their course. They’re mostly here for money, for a job, or just cos they don’t know what else to be doing.
Reply 8
I’m sorry 😭

Tbh it depends on if ur good with numbers. If u feel happy, comfortable and understand numbers well - u will be fine.

In my case, calculations aren’t one of my strong points so I struggle a lot in the modules requiring calculations. ofc I try to go over it again and practice but idk it just doesn’t stick to me as well as it does to others 🤷🏻*♀️

Also it might depend on ur uni and lecturers. Some lecturers r nice and will explain things until u understand but some r ********s and don’t explain **** properly. Also one of my lecturers wouldn’t talk about assignments in the lectures 🤦🏻*♀️

I don’t really enjoy my course (although it is more business related than accounting) but I would’ve HATED doing accounting and finance cos of how much I hated the maths related modules (management accounting and financial accounting).

Management accounting is like using different methods to allocate costs to departments etc….

Financial accounting is like going through costs and info to make balance sheets/profit & loss statements etc…

Depending on ur uni the modules might be different too so do check and research about them properly.

Honestly I don’t think a lot of ppl in my yr actually enjoy their course. They’re mostly here for money, for a job, or just cos they don’t know what else to be doing.

Bruh I just realised the emojis 💀 wth
Original post by iliveonce?
Hello,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE 🥺🥺!!!!

To be honest when I first applied for my course, I thought they’d provide more support with placements. But that wasn’t the case and I have to do everything myself 😢.

But hopefully everything will be fine and things will go well.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you do after your undergrad degree?

Bsc Business and Accounting student :smile:

Hello,

No problem at all. I am glad it helps someone. Sorry about the delayed response.
I think you should try enquiring about CV reviewing services from your University. At least that will be helpful to rectify if you have any problems with your CV. If not, try looking for online sites to review your CV. Job prospects will also be really helpful.
I finished my undergraduate degree in engineering, and joined as a software testing intern. Later, I found my passion in Business Management, and now I am doing a conversion MSc in International Business Management.
Hope this helps, and best of luck with your career!

Cheers,
Reply 10
Hello,

No problem, I understand how busy things can be.

Yes, I checked and I can go in and talk to staff about careers and there’s a website with lots of quizzes and advice for interviews, CVs etc.

Oh really? I’m glad you found what you’re passionate about.

Thank you! I wish you a happy career too!

Lovely chat we had,
Bsc Business and Accounting student

I’m sorry 😭

I think Im fine with numbers, if it’s mainly maths related I’ll be fine😂

ohh sorry to hear ab the lectures😭Omg is acc and finance that bad tho😂

Do you think I should have studied accounting prior choosing the uni course? because I don’t know that much ab it (I kinda do tho from open days and modules) but like kinda get a feel of the subject first.

Also what uni do u go to?

Sorry for the very late reply😭
Reply 12
Oh then you should be fine, don’t worry! I only suffered / am suffering bc I’m weak w numbers

Sadly yep 🥲 but I think no matter what I studied, I would’ve suffered either way so 🤷🏻*♀️

Most ppl haven’t studied accounting and finance before uni and r fine with it rn. So u might be fine too

I go to Kingston university 🫤

What uni r u planning to go?

Dw 😄
Oh then you should be fine, don’t worry! I only suffered / am suffering bc I’m weak w numbers

Sadly yep 🥲 but I think no matter what I studied, I would’ve suffered either way so 🤷🏻*♀️

Most ppl haven’t studied accounting and finance before uni and r fine with it rn. So u might be fine too

I go to Kingston university 🫤

What uni r u planning to go?

Dw 😄

Okayy hopefully I'll be fine, hovever if the maths in it is like A-level maths I'm finished😭 bc I'm not good at that level😂

Ohh don't say that😭 u said it is maths ur struggling with right?

Okayy😊 hopefully 😭

Alrr, is your course mainly coursework based or exam based?because I'm kinda struggling on what uni to choose, because accounting has acca accredited exams that I heard it can be rlly hard😭but idk if I wanna be a fully qualified accountant rn, it might change later tho

Chester is mainly exam based and Manchester met is mainly course work based

but I think my top 2 is Manchester met nd Leeds Beckett
Reply 14
Tbh the maths is mainly equation based or u have to remember how to calculate things but i don’t think it’s as hard as a-level maths.

Since im doing business and accounting I’m doing modules : marketing, project management, management accounting and modules of my choice

The accounting and finance ppl are doing: management accounting, financial reporting, and some other modules that I don’t remember 😅

Yh tbh to get accredited as an accountant u have to do so many exams (I think it’s 4-8 exams don’t rlly remember)

I realised after first yr that I didn’t like it so I just stuck w my current course

But I think if u just suffer for abit and suck it up, there’s a lot of benefits to having a degree in accounting - a lot of ppl in high paid roles have this degree

Ohhh, well that now depends on u - do u prefer to revise and prepare for exams or do assignments and projects throughout the yr and have no or limited exams ??

Well hopefully things go well for u!
Tbh the maths is mainly equation based or u have to remember how to calculate things but i don’t think it’s as hard as a-level maths.

Since im doing business and accounting I’m doing modules : marketing, project management, management accounting and modules of my choice

The accounting and finance ppl are doing: management accounting, financial reporting, and some other modules that I don’t remember 😅

Yh tbh to get accredited as an accountant u have to do so many exams (I think it’s 4-8 exams don’t rlly remember)

I realised after first yr that I didn’t like it so I just stuck w my current course

But I think if u just suffer for abit and suck it up, there’s a lot of benefits to having a degree in accounting - a lot of ppl in high paid roles have this degree

Ohhh, well that now depends on u - do u prefer to revise and prepare for exams or do assignments and projects throughout the yr and have no or limited exams ??

Well hopefully things go well for u!

Okay, good

I have been considering becoming an accountant, but I'm hesitant due to the exams required. Even after graduating, I'll still need to take 4-5 more exams to become fully qualified.

However, I know it will be worth it in the end. I just have to endure the studying and exams.
I really hate exams tho, though like the build-up to it is badd😭 so I might aswell do courseworks for uni
Reply 16
Ohh, yh that makes sense.

Yh u just have to endure the course and the exams 😭

OMG IK ME TOO! I hate exams and just thinking about revising for exams coming up is already stressing me out 😂😭

It’s up to u

Do u have any friends doing the same course as u in the same uni or different uni? Maybe u could ask about their experience? Or ask ppl from the unis ur considering about their experience w the course.

Hello,

It's understandable if you're still trying to figure out what you want to do and also if you're finding the coursework a bit difficult. Accounting hasn't really been known for being easy anyways so don't worry yourself too much. Regarding the placements, trust me when I say that there a like over 50 students in the same position as you because of how limited overall placement places are compared to people that apply, that is completely normal. Not necessarily the best feeling or experience but it's normal when looking for a placement. I personally have also been sourcing one since September and it's been really frustrating but you just keep trying!

Since you're already halfway through your course and you feel you can complete it then go ahead. Not only do you get a degree but also the experience that comes with going to Uni. No road is the easiest and perhaps most people don't end of working in the field of their studied degree. If you don't get a placement, finish your degree and you could try looking for an apprenticeship, enjoy your university life, ask your friends, course mates or staff if you need help whenever and stop worrying too much. Goodluck in finding a placement though and I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending