The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Fashion marketing at London Met

I recieved an offer from London Met to study Fashion Marketing. I was highly considering going there yet after reading lots of reviews it seems it isnt the best of universities :s-smilie:. Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what its like to study there?!
Reply 1
I'm in the same boat! I have unconditional offers for both Fashion Marketing & Fashion Marketing and Journalism but the reviews about the uni worry me! Although studying a fashion related subject in London has gotta have its advantages?!
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Ah that's really good! well yeah thats what's swaying me towards London, the fact that you'll have better opportunities of getting placements and stuff, the reviews are still off putting though! where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 3
I've applied for those 2 at London Met, Northbrook College for Fashion media & promotion and now I'm just waiting to hear back from London College of Fashion before I decide what to do! You?
Yeah definitely - London's gonna be the best option in terms of location for sure x

Original post by amberkatep
Ah that's really good! well yeah thats what's swaying me towards London, the fact that you'll have better opportunities of getting placements and stuff, the reviews are still off putting though! where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 4
ah i see, its really good that youve applied for college's which mainly focus around the fashion area! :smile: 2 for London Met, Fashion Communication at Nottingham Trent, and I got an interview for Northumbria but i withdrew as its a little too close to home! the fact i never done A-level art has let me down with my choice of uni's!
So for me its either London or Notts! :smile:
Original post by amberkatep
I recieved an offer from London Met to study Fashion Marketing.

We know, it is impossible to not receive one.
Reply 6
I have applied to study Fashion Marketing and Journalism at London Met aswell. I'm from outside the UK (Portugal) and to me it would be amazing if I could get into a fashion related course in London. As far as the uni reputation goes I don't think we should let that define our professional path. If you work hard and have good grades I don't think you won't get a job just because you went to that specific uni. Uni is what you make of it. Work hard and always do your very best :smile:

Crossing my fingers so I get an offer from them, that would be one big accomplishment to me
Reply 7
In my experience, I believe that there are many opportunities available at London met, and just by being in London you are already exposed to invaluable experiences for the fashion industry. I am studying in the Business faculty and I've had a positive experience so far. Here are some links I've found about what students in the fashion course had to say:

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/news/latest-news/2012/november/fashion-bootcamp-accelerates-businesses.cfm

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/news/latest-news/2012/april/fashion-dreams-come-true.cfm
Reply 8
I have an unconditional for Fashion Marketing and Journalism. Anyone else doing this course? Also, what student accommodation are people looking at - everything is so expensive or so out of central London!
Reply 9
Original post by fenella327
I have an unconditional for Fashion Marketing and Journalism. Anyone else doing this course? Also, what student accommodation are people looking at - everything is so expensive or so out of central London!

I have a conditional offer for this course, I'm so excited! as far as the accomodation goes I don't even know what I'm going to do... I'm a EU student so I can only apply for tuition fee so I will need to find a place to stay on my own and I don't even know anybody in London :x but I'm not going to give up, this is my dream :smile:
Anyway, congrats on your offer and hope to see you at London Met next year :biggrin:
Original post by Mila_20
I have applied to study Fashion Marketing and Journalism at London Met aswell. I'm from outside the UK (Portugal) and to me it would be amazing if I could get into a fashion related course in London. As far as the uni reputation goes I don't think we should let that define our professional path. If you work hard and have good grades I don't think you won't get a job just because you went to that specific uni. Uni is what you make of it. Work hard and always do your very best :smile:

Crossing my fingers so I get an offer from them, that would be one big accomplishment to me

That is so true I've heard a few bad reviews about it but I think of you work hard it'll pay of regardless of the uni, &Portugal? I've been there loved it.
so have you decided to if your doing fashion marketing and journalism at London met I am :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by vanessamalado
That is so true I've heard a few bad reviews about it but I think of you work hard it'll pay of regardless of the uni, &Portugal? I've been there loved it.
so have you decided to if your doing fashion marketing and journalism at London met I am :smile:

yes, Portugal is a nice country. I love it here, but for fashion there's not much of a future here. that's why I'm going to London, and yes I'm doing Fashion Marketing and Journalism for sure, that's what I've always wanted :biggrin: I'm super excited.
I don't even know where I'm going to live, but right now I'm just taking one step at the time. after everything is completed I'll worry about accommodation :smile:
Aw that sounds cool and yes London is the best place to be for fashion, just don't leave your accommodation too late because rooms sell out really fast if you stay in student halls. Do you have a twitter or Facebook and I'll add you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by vanessamalado
Aw that sounds cool and yes London is the best place to be for fashion, just don't leave your accommodation too late because rooms sell out really fast if you stay in student halls. Do you have a twitter or Facebook and I'll add you :smile:

yes, my facebook is Mila Afonso and my twitter is y0ungmila
It'll be great to know some people before I move there :smile:
Hi ladies,

I am about to go into my third year of Fashion Marketing at London Met.

Since first year, the course has dramatically improved and there is more of a better structure to it.

I was very worried about attending this university because of its said reputation (and I am one of those people who has to have the best of everything) and I worried a lot because of it - with regards to employability at the end etc.

But at the end of the day this is how I now see it:

Just because there is a bad reputation of the university, it does not mean to say that the teaching is bad. The lecturers at my university also teach courses at other London based universities such as Westminster and City all delivering the same course structure. So what is the difference? The university name? BIG. DEAL. not. Everything you are being taught and asked to produce is the same. The marking is the same. If you get a 1st for something, you have a 1st for it. Just because it came from London Met, it does not mean that the paper is worth more than the degree itself. That is just ridiculous.

At the end of the day, this is a degree. In America, for example, what universities are you aware of? NYU, Harvard, Yale and maybe UCLA. So you are probably aware of less than 10 universities there, yet, in America, as long as you have a degree you have a degree. That in itself is an achievement. The amount of hard work that is put in to a degree regardless of the university is crazy. So it doesn't matter where you do the work. If you do the work it's all the same. It's a degree.

Plus, London Met has one of the HIGHEST employability rates. They bend over backwards and sideways - and any other way possible - to make sure you have a good chance of being employed. The difference being that YOU have to make it happen. They provide all of the speakers, you just have to attend.

If you put yourselves out there then you can expect to do well. If you don't, then it's not the universities fault.

Next academic year I am going to be the president of the Fashion Business society. I have made it my aim to bring in more guest speakers and to give Fashion students - especially 1st year students - more chances. If you don't come then fine, if you don't go to the lectures, fine. But so much is done for students and they don't take the opportunity. Make sure you get involved and you'll do as well as one from Kings or anywhere else.

If you're debating between this university and one elsewhere - not in London - consider the other factors such as cost and anything else that may affect you.

For fashion, being in London is a major perk. You have the street fashion all on your doorstep. You have Somerset house a stones throw away (depending on where you live) as well as countless Fashion PR agencies which offer internships. You have more opportunities in London and can see everything you'd learn about at Nottingham evolve in front of you.

Living in London as a student teaches you so much so quickly. I always say that if you can live and survive in London as a student, you can live and survive anywhere at any age. London tests you, but if you can say you did it, it's the best feeling in the world.

Maybe i'll be seeing some of you next year. If you ever want any more advice or help then please just message me!

:smile:
Reply 15
Hello, I'm thinking about transferring from UCA in Epsom to LMU doing Fashion Marketing & Journalism. I would like your advice on which one would be the best for me to study in.
Thank you,
Inês Sacramento
which uni is the best for fashion communication?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending