The Student Room Group

Marketing vs fashion design

I plan on going to uni next September, but I'm struggling. I want to make sure that I'm picking the right course. My childhood dream was to be a fashion designer. I know it's nearly impossible to earn a degree and then get a job. Recently, I feel like I'm reconnecting with this dream; I'm pretty much-sketching designs daily but I also spend the other half creating mock marketing projects .
I'm still learning how to sew, and I need to know how to use CAD or Adobe I was planning . I have a UAL level 3 and an art and design btec design

Adult me feels like I should get a marketing and management degree as it can still be creative and not have to worry about being unable to find a job or a graduate scheme . I feel like it would be exciting and more stable. I know I need to improve my copyright skills .

I know realistically, the chances of me being able to sew and learn how to design clothes by January and create a portfolio digitally will be nearly impossible. Plus I would like to go to a half decent uni if I were to pursue a fashion degree.

Both marketing and fashion jobs want a degree plus a bit of experience.

I don't wanna keep wasting time. Family members have told me to study something I'm passionate about but I were to go in a creative direction I should work in education but I know from experience I hate working in education.

I've only found 2 degrees with combine both fashion design and marketing however they're so far away and it would be a struggle to even get there plus I need to think about my partners job, even though they have a driving job they need to be within an hour to 2 hour distance at most from london so anywhere past Norwich would be too far.

I feel too old to pursue a fashion degree otherwise I feel I would do fashion design. When I have brought it up to family they have said that its a waste of time but a fine art degree would be much better which I don't agree with.

Although I have spoke to my partner about it, they have said it's down to me but it's probably a good idea that I get a degree where I don't have to work in retail after. That marketing degree is good , it can lead to different roles that pay well and may be more office based which they feel like I would suit but they fully support me if I feel like I wanna go on and do a fashion degree as a ba or a ma they just don't want me be stuck with a degree I can't use to progress and neither do I

I know I can do a fashion ma and my work would be better I known the courses may be more limited and it's fast pace and uni is going to expect a lot more from me. The chances of getting on an ma without a fashion ba and being able to have a job that suits around uni hours scares me.

I don't know anyone that's done a fashion degree or down a none arts degree to do an arts degree then so I can't really gain advice

If anyone can help or advise me it would mean a lot.
Original post by Rose_99
I plan on going to uni next September, but I'm struggling. I want to make sure that I'm picking the right course. My childhood dream was to be a fashion designer. I know it's nearly impossible to earn a degree and then get a job. Recently, I feel like I'm reconnecting with this dream; I'm pretty much-sketching designs daily but I also spend the other half creating mock marketing projects .
I'm still learning how to sew, and I need to know how to use CAD or Adobe I was planning . I have a UAL level 3 and an art and design btec design

Adult me feels like I should get a marketing and management degree as it can still be creative and not have to worry about being unable to find a job or a graduate scheme . I feel like it would be exciting and more stable. I know I need to improve my copyright skills .

I know realistically, the chances of me being able to sew and learn how to design clothes by January and create a portfolio digitally will be nearly impossible. Plus I would like to go to a half decent uni if I were to pursue a fashion degree.

I don't wanna keep wasting time. Family members have told me to study something I'm passionate about but I were to go in a creative direction I should work in education but I know from experience I hate working in education.

I've only found 2 degrees with combine both fashion design and marketing however they're so far away and it would be a struggle to even get there plus I need to think about my partners job, even though they have a driving job they need to be within an hour to 2 hour distance at most from london so anywhere past Norwich would be too far.

I feel too old to pursue a fashion degree otherwise I feel I would do fashion design. When I have brought it up to family they have said that its a waste of time but a fine art degree would be much better which I don't agree with.

Although I have spoke to my partner about it, they have said it's down to me but it's probably a good idea that I get a degree where I don't have to work in retail after. That marketing degree is good , it can lead to different roles that pay well and may be more office based which they feel like I would suit but they fully support me if I feel like I wanna go on and do a fashion degree as a ba or a ma they just don't want me be stuck with a degree I can't use to progress and neither do I

I know I can do a fashion ma and my work would be better I known the courses may be more limited and it's fast pace and uni is going to expect a lot more from me. The chances of getting on an ma without a fashion ba and being able to have a job that suits around uni hours scares me.

I don't know anyone that's done a fashion degree or down a none arts degree to do an arts degree then so I can't really gain advice

Hi @Rose_99

I've been there debating whether fashion design is a viable option to choose for my degree. I am just starting my second year of BA(Hons) Fashion Design and I can tell you that I am yet to regret my decision.

I see your interest in marketing too - I actually have a similar interest in it - and I can see it's appeal, especially in relation to it being a diverse and a flexible degree.

I definitely agree that you should pick a subject you have a passion for as you are investing a lot of time into a degree, so you want to enjoy it and be interested in it.

Regarding creating a successful fashion design portfolio, it doesn't have to be solely fashion based and including lots of sewing and making etc. Your portfolio and application should of course some fashion, designs, garments if you have them, but it also makes a more interesting application if you include other interests too. I included some jewellery I had made in mine. You, for example, could include some marketing work or ideas - and relate it to fashion marketing to show a connection between your subjects of interest.

I will also say that fashion, and the fashion and textile industry isn't going anywhere as an industry. It may be challenging to find immediate success after graduation, or to find a job you truly want in such a competitive creative industry. But there will always be work within fashion as it is an industry we require everyday. So if you feel unsure about the reliability and success you will have from studying fashion design, maybe this is something to think about.

You sound like you might know what you want to study and what you feel you have to choose, but that doesn't mean the two areas can't mix together. I don't think there is a bad choice here, but consider which you can see yourself enjoying throughout the 3/4 years of study.

I hope this helps and try not to put too much pressure on yourself and your application.
Best of luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by Rose_99

THE place to go is London College of Fashion. Apply for internships at Ralph Lauren, as several of their senior directors and country-level directors are alumni of LCF. You will also be in the heart of the UK's fashion industry, so lots of networking opportunities and of course lots of part-time jobs in the sector.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending