The Student Room Group

Best Course and University for a more Programming based degree?

Hi everyone;
I'm currently studying Computing AS which includes a little bit of everything, hardware, software, networking etc.. And I have shown a big interest/aspiration in programming. I was wondering what the best course for me to choose, and whether you know the better university for ICT courses?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Ryan_Jeynes
Hi everyone;
I'm currently studying Computing AS which includes a little bit of everything, hardware, software, networking etc.. And I have shown a big interest/aspiration in programming. I was wondering what the best course for me to choose, and whether you know the better university for ICT courses?
Thanks.

Hi,

A software engineering course would be a really good course for you but you may only end up liking it at AS level for the wrong reason. For this I would definitely recommend considering Computer Science.

Again this is personal preference and for University choice. I cannot help you with this as I do not know how you are doing with your other subjects and this will reflect the university you go to. I hope you have had help with this. Please feel free to reply if you need further guidance.
Reply 2
[QUOTE="TCGTi;41340938"]
Original post by Ryan_Jeynes
Hi everyone;
Thanks.

Hi,

A software engineering course would be a really good course for you but you may only end up liking it at AS level for the wrong reason. For this I would definitely recommend considering Computer Science.

Again this is personal preference and for University choice. I cannot help you with this as I do not know how you are doing with your other subjects and this will reflect the university you go to. I hope you have had help with this. Please feel free to reply if you need further guidance.

Can you master a programming language whilst doing Maths instead of CS or SE and would it be harder than if you had done CS or SE?
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Malawi;41610922"]
Original post by TCGTi

Can you master a programming language whilst doing Maths instead of CS or SE and would it be harder than if you had done CS or SE?

Yes you can definitely become a good programmer while doing maths, I'm pretty sure most most maths degrees contain some programming courses. You can always check the course content.

Computer science is more then just programming, wiki
If you enjoy the practical side of things( building robots, writing programs) cs can be suited more for you then maths. Have a look at course descriptions and you will get a better idea what cs is about.

Also don't study software engineering, this is like wanting to become a construction worker when you can become an engineer.
Reply 4
My best advice would be to not go to university at all - programming is forever changing and advancing. Once you've earned your degree, landed in debt and wasted four years... you may not even be able to get a job with a programming degree. As employers generally test out your skills in a language and then retrain you once again. My best bet if you're still not convinced, try imperial college of London or Stanford! They truly are the best! During the summer break, learn a language in depth and it will truly pay off even if you want to go university!
Reply 5
If you want to go into that area, any of the good computer science BScs from engineering-style computing departments should be high up your list.

Some examples would be York, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton, Imperial, and Glasgow; while Edinburgh, Cambridge and other traditional elite universities are often also extremely good.

George
Original post by gcorr
Once you've earned your degree, landed in debt and wasted four years... you may not even be able to get a job with a programming degree. As employers generally test out your skills in a language and then retrain you once again.

This could not be further from the truth... if you go to a top university and do CS you should not have too much bother finding a programming job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending