The Student Room Group

how to get into nursing career without a science alevel?

currently i am taking english literature, sociology, history and media studies which all are marked essay based. To be honest i also wasnt keen on these subjects but i had only myself to blame for the regret considering i didnt go out my ways to ask for advice picking these alevels. I worry for my grades since these alevels require a large amount of reading and writing and i may have adhd which isnt ideal for these kinds of subjects. Though since i have already chosen these subjects it wont be easy to just drop and switch to perhaps sciences which i did get the best grades for, so I am eager to find some advice on here about what to do if i would like to take a more science field career like nursing later? What courses to take before i take a nursing course?
I am in alot of pinch, my last resort is business field courses if possible
(edited 4 months ago)
If you're currently in year 12, you could retake the year with new A levels (your cheapest option). If you're in year 13, then you could consider taking a 1-year Access to Higher Edcation Diploma course in a science-based subject or look at nursing degrees with foundation year options.
Reply 2
Original post by clever-javelin
currently i am taking english literature, sociology, history and media studies which all are marked essay based. To be honest i also wasnt keen on these subjects but i had only myself to blame for the regret considering i didnt go out my ways to ask for advice picking these alevels. I worry for my grades since these alevels require a large amount of reading and writing and i may have adhd which isnt ideal for these kinds of subjects. Though since i have already chosen these subjects it wont be easy to just drop and switch to perhaps sciences which i did get the best grades for, so I am eager to find some advice on here about what to do if i would like to take a more science field career like nursing later? What courses to take before i take a nursing course?

Hi

You'll have to check all of your chosen universities for there entry requirements for nursing courses as each university has there own entry requirements for nursing courses okay.

This information is from UCAS website. Advise you to look at this for more information on it.

Can I do nursing without science A levels....
The most important A level is normally biology. Other subjects to help your application include another science (chemistry), or a social science (psychology, sociology). Many universities will take nursing students who show an aptitude and passion for care, even if they don't have a relevant academic record.

https://www.ucas.com subjects n...
Nursing - UCAS

A NHS registered midwife
Reply 3

I've answered this a few times on here - no, you don't need a science A level to become a nurse. What you do need to do is look at university entry requirements, which are all published on their websites. If you look on University of Liverpool's website, you'll see that they state biology as a preferred subject for nursing students. Look af Manchester's - they state students nees one of biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology, or applied science. Then look at Chester - they literally ask for 3 A levels. You'll find other universities with just as diverse criteria.

So, if you want to do nursing, your best bet is to carry on with the A levels you're doing.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by normaw
If you're currently in year 12, you could retake the year with new A levels (your cheapest option). If you're in year 13, then you could consider taking a 1-year Access to Higher Edcation Diploma course in a science-based subject or look at nursing degrees with foundation year options.

I also would like to add that I do not live in UK or other Europe places but I study in an international school in an Asian country and plan to study abroad so I wanted to ask if there are any chances of this being a possible choice? What difficulties would there be?

@clever_javelin

Hi,

I've seen a few people recommend an Access to HE program on here, and I have taught on a Nursing pathway for over 10 years so I can help.

Access to HE Nursing and Midwifery is a one year program which is like 3 a levels squashed into one year, typically a pathway will include Human Biology, Health Science (which is like chemistry) and most people have Health Studies, although some providers have a choice of Psychology here for those that want to do Mental Health Nursing.

You would have used up your level 3 entitlement with your a levels, but, you can get an advanced learner loan for Access which is completely written off once you complete your degree.

Universities LOVE access students due to you having a bit more life experience than younger learners.

BTW the sociology A level will really help with Health Studies, I have a BA Hons Sociology degree and ended up teaching it :smile:

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending