The Student Room Group

Helpp clearing decisions

hi so I wasn't able to get into my firm option for university and I didn't want to go to my insurance university so I'm currently going through clearing trying to pick a university to go to so far I've gotten offers from University of east anglia, Portsmouth and reading. Which one do I pick?? if it helps I'm doing a marketing degree??
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by gojolulx
hi so I wasn't able to get into my firm option for university and I didn't want to go to my insurance university so I'm currently going through clearing trying to pick a university to go to so far I've gotten offers from University of east anglia, Portsmouth and reading. Which one do I pick?? if it helps I'm doing a marketing degree??

A good university is the one best suited to you. A little bit of time spent researching the course (which is the important bit) and the university will pay off. The clearing offers you are holding should have deadlines, you have until then to research your options. If you have more specific questions I am happy to help

Hey @gojolulx :smile:

Congrats on the offers and hope you're feeling #ResultsProud.

Lots of important factors to consider when deciding between uni's, maybe come up with a pro's and con's list for course content, location, career goals, student life, placement opportunities, support services available, accommodation etc.

Take a look at some student blogs, profiles and course videos (you'd find these on the uni website/ social media channels) for an insight into the course and what it's like to be a student there. You could also see if the uni has unibuddy and talk to their students directly about what they think about the course and uni, take a look at any virtual tours the uni offers on their website so you can get a feel for the campus and facilities.

Best of luck in making your decision, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you :smile:

Becky
Hi @gojolulx,

Much like the advice given above, I would say take your time in making these decisions and try to not pressure yourself. The "best" university for a marketing degree depends on various factors and, it’s ultimately down to your personal preference. It's a good idea to research each university's marketing program and consider the following:

1. Program Reputation: Look into the reputation of the marketing programs at each university. Check for program rankings, student reviews, and alumni success stories.

2. Faculty Expertise: Research the faculty members teaching in the marketing department. Experienced and knowledgeable professors can greatly enhance your learning experience.

3. Course Structure: Review the curriculum and course offerings. Does the program cover a wide range of marketing topics and include practical experiences like internships or real-world projects?

4. Industry Connections: Consider universities with strong connections to the marketing industry, as these connections can lead to valuable networking opportunities and internships.

5. Location: Think about where you'd like to study. Consider the city's amenities, job opportunities, and quality of life.

6. Campus Facilities: Explore the facilities available for marketing students, such as state-of-the-art classrooms, marketing labs, and other resources.

7. Student Support: Look into the support services offered by each university, such as career counselling, academic advising, and extracurricular opportunities.

These are just a few factors you can use to help make your decision but, I wish you well in whatever you choose to do. Just make sure you’ll be able to balance your studies and lifestyle to still have fun!

All the best,
Ellie

Hi @gojolulx

University of East Anglia is a great University with a range of courses for business and marketing at the NBS school.
If you have any questions about UEA and uni life, please let me know!! :smile:

UEA Rep Lucy

3rd year Economics student with a year abroad
Hi @gojolulx, congratulations on getting three offers! That's an amazing achievement :smile:

Only you know what's best for you, so do take a look at our website and social channels to get a feel for what it would be like studying with us. As others have said, it's also important to make sure the course itself excites you and will help you achieve your future goals. It might be worth noting that our marketing course is accredited by CIM and you could do an industry placement year, which current students have done at companies like Disney.

In terms of studying here more generally, one of the main perks is that it's a city based campus so you've got everything you need close by to you, but the university building are all close enough to still get a campus vibe from it. It's also right by the sea which is a real gem in the summer months! Make sure to check out the student takeovers in the highlights on Portsmouth's Instagram page, including this one for Marketing which will give you a feel for what it would be like if you came here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi there @gojolulx,

Great to hear that you have received some offers for marketing! You should be proud of all your hard work.

When it comes to picking which university to go to it's important have a think about which fits you best. I'd do some research of each university and their course and note down what you like about each one. You could attend a campus tour which are usually student led, this will give you a feel of what life could be like for you as a student there. Some universities also have virtual campus tours on their websites that you could have a look at.

All the best,
Sarah

Hiya,

Congrats with your offers! You must feel proud 💪

When it comes to choosing a university only you know which would be best for you and your lifestyle/aspirations. We do understand it can be daunting, but at the same time, such an exciting time to choose a new city to study and live in!

Here are some questions to think about:

When choosing a university for the course , think about

Which course content might appeal to you more?
What modules may you be studying? Would you enjoy these modules?
What facilities are on offer as part of the course? When would you have access to them?
What assignments might you be undertaking?
What are the job prospects like after the course?

You may be able to reach out to some academics and ask these questions, but generally, these answers would also be on the course pages too.

For instance, here at ARU, our Marketing students value the core modules they study as they are a great foundation to build upon as their degree continues :smile:

Outside of the course, think about

Are you interested in being close to big cities, like London?
Being involved in societies or sports clubs?
Is there support outside academic studies, like Counselling and Wellbeing, Money Advice, Careers and Employability services?
What’s the accommodation like?

Again all this info will be on the university webpages, and you may be able to speak to students online about their experiences too 😊

If you'd like to speak with a student from ARU, please feel free to contact them on our webpages.

Whatever you choose enjoy the journey!!

Wishing you the best of luck 💙💛

Let us know if you have any queries,
Jemma

Hi @gojolulxGreat to hear you've had some offers through clearing.

Have you visited any of these University's previously? I think it's important you do to get the right feel. Yes, the course is important but remember you are committing to at least 3 years at one of these institutions :smile:

If I can help at all, give me a shout.

We also offer Marketing at Bangor :wink:

Take care

Sera

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending