Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Masters in Social Work at Hull

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by newbie2013
Time does go really quick, didn't really realise the extra half hour at all.

Haha, how did it go? Good luck xx
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
hi, i got offered a place at Hull, just waiting for info on the bursery now.
Well done Newbie2013, I bet you are so pleased. :clap2::clap2::clap2:
How long did you wait for a reply?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
congratulations hunny.. Im considering doing a masters in social work too im in my first year of sociology with Criminology.. I'm volunteering as a literacy intervention tutor since january is this experience ok ? I do it twice a week since january looking to do it for a year.

Also How was your interview what did they ask? Any tests?
Hi everyone,

I've got an interview for 2015 entry on MA Social Work at Hull. Just wondering if anyone could tell me about their interview in detail? I'm super nervous as this means a lot to me so any tips would be very gratefully received! :smile:

Thanks in advance x
Hi. The interview involves being informer of a panel of 3 or 4 people (all really friendly) they ask approx 10 questions. You also have to do a written test. They are all really friendly and put you at ward throughout the course of the day :smile: good luck and fingers crossed we will meet in September. X
God predictive text is awful!!! In front of a panel of 3 or 4 and they put you at ease throughout the day :smile:
Aww, thank you so much, I feel better now knowing what I'm up against :smile: how long did you have to wait for a decision Kirstie? Also, did you apply for bursary? I really do hope we meet in September! x
My interview was on the fri and I had answer on the Tuesday. Yes I've applied for bursary, just keeping everything crossed that the new government don't make too much of a cut to available funding, and that my name will be in the nominated students list from the uni. Unfortunately we won't find out until sept 😁. I'm really excited about starting, seems like forever as my interview was in February x
Original post by Kirstie193
My interview was on the fri and I had answer on the Tuesday. Yes I've applied for bursary, just keeping everything crossed that the new government don't make too much of a cut to available funding, and that my name will be in the nominated students list from the uni. Unfortunately we won't find out until sept 😁. I'm really excited about starting, seems like forever as my interview was in February x

It is such a long wait isn't it 😓 however at least they give you an answer quick as to whether you've got a yes or a no for the course. That's a plus! Are you from Hull originally? I am, I finished my BA Criminology at Hull last summer, so I'm really hoping I'll get the chance to go back and do my MA 😀 x
No I'm from caistor on other side of bridge. I completed my BA Psychology last summer. Had a year off as my brain was mashed lol. I'm just praying to get funding as without it i wouldn't be able to do it, what with having to give up work, plus I've got a 9yr old son too so I need to keep us afloat while I study 😁 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I'm from caistor on other side of bridge. I completed my BA Psychology last summer. Had a year off as my brain was mashed lol. I'm just praying to get funding as without it i wouldn't be able to do it, what with having to give up work, plus I've got a 9yr old son too so I need to keep us afloat while I study 😁 x

Posted from TSR Mobile

God I know what you mean. As if two years of our lives depends on whether or not we make it onto a list for a bursary lol. I also took a year out after graduation to have a bit of a break, and I'm glad I did. You need a breather sometimes, don't you! 😀 fingers crossed for both of us for the bursary, and for my interview! I asked today and there's apparently 45 places on the course, so hopefully I'm in with a chance! What was the written test like? How did you prepare for it? Thanks for your help btw, I really appreciate it x
They did say that they change the written test around so don't rely on this for gospel...mine was what area of social work do I want to go into and why. They are looking for the qualities that make a good social worker along with spelling and grammar etc. I read up on the capabilities framework and made sure that I reflected the qualities in what I wrote, ie being reflective, that's a big thing in social work. They are not interested in you wowing them with knowledge. Their exact words on our assessment day was that they were not testing our social work knowledge as we don't have it and that is what they will provide us with should we be offered a place. It was the same really for the interview, they are looking for the skills that make a good social worker. So just be yourself and I would suggest reading the capabilities framework, which also covers the ethical principles. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
They did say that they change the written test around so don't rely on this for gospel...mine was what area of social work do I want to go into and why. They are looking for the qualities that make a good social worker along with spelling and grammar etc. I read up on the capabilities framework and made sure that I reflected the qualities in what I wrote, ie being reflective, that's a big thing in social work. They are not interested in you wowing them with knowledge. Their exact words on our assessment day was that they were not testing our social work knowledge as we don't have it and that is what they will provide us with should we be offered a place. It was the same really for the interview, they are looking for the skills that make a good social worker. So just be yourself and I would suggest reading the capabilities framework, which also covers the ethical principles. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, this is brilliant! 😀 again, much appreciated. I'll have to let you know how my interview goes. Fingers crossed! I hope you get your bursary too (lots of hoping going on here so it should pay off!) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes...I'll keep everything crossed for you. Let me know how you go 😀 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Hi all, I'm on the MA in September too.do we have to apply for the nhs Bursery ourselves or do the university just put our names forward?
Hi...no you have to apply separately. Everyone is entitled to the travel allowance subject to meeting assessment criteria, and then if your names on list they will assess you for bursary x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just booked onto my selection day @ Hull, 19th June! It'd be great if other people on this thread end up going, let me know if you're on this one too! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Thank you, it all a bit confusing with it not been student finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hi Everyone! My name is shara and I've accepted my place for september :smile: I'm really excited to meet you all!

Quick Reply

Latest