The Student Room Group

Degree Apprenticeship in Chemical Engineering vs University route

Hey.
Just in need of some good advice regarding my situation. I am 18 and currently doing a foundation year in Chemical Engineering at the University of Hull after I fumbled my A-levels badly due to a bereavement during exam season of 2022. I have really been trying hard to make up for it so I did two things
- reapplied on UCAS for 1st year Chemical Engineering
- Applied to degree apprenticeships for Chemical Engineering
And things have gone quite well ! So I have received offers from the University of Leeds, Birmingham and Lancaster for Chemical Engineering Beng which are quite good universities as far as I can tell.
However I actually just got through to the last three candidates for the role as a process engineer at Astrazeneca which is really good and I did not expect.
It seems like such a good opportunity with them paying for my entire degree and the salary starting at 22k and the university provider would be The University of Strathclyde.
The only thing that is holding me back is that if I took the university route it would take me 3 years to get a Beng but with the apprenticeship it would take me 5 and idk why it makes me feel embarrassed?
Please advise me on what would be the best option to go for if I was successful in the AstraZeneca process engineering apprenticeship.
Original post by Salome.7256
Hey.
Just in need of some good advice regarding my situation. I am 18 and currently doing a foundation year in Chemical Engineering at the University of Hull after I fumbled my A-levels badly due to a bereavement during exam season of 2022. I have really been trying hard to make up for it so I did two things
And things have gone quite well ! So I have received offers from the University of Leeds, Birmingham and Lancaster for Chemical Engineering Beng which are quite good universities as far as I can tell.
However I actually just got through to the last three candidates for the role as a process engineer at Astrazeneca which is really good and I did not expect.
It seems like such a good opportunity with them paying for my entire degree and the salary starting at 22k and the university provider would be The University of Strathclyde.
The only thing that is holding me back is that if I took the university route it would take me 3 years to get a Beng but with the apprenticeship it would take me 5 and idk why it makes me feel embarrassed?
Please advise me on what would be the best option to go for if I was successful in the AstraZeneca process engineering apprenticeship.

If you were to get it, the degree apprenticeship at AstraZeneca sounds like a brilliant opportunity. Why is a 5 vs 3 year degree holding you back?
Original post by Smack
If you were to get it, the degree apprenticeship at AstraZeneca sounds like a brilliant opportunity. Why is a 5 vs 3 year degree holding you back?

im not even sure I guess I feel like i may be wasting time with how long it takes with the apprenticeship? so does it really not matter how long it takes to get your degree?
yo can someone reply please i need opinionssss
im not even sure I guess I feel like i may be wasting time with how long it takes with the apprenticeship? so does it really not matter how long it takes to get your degree?

No, it doesn't matter, you get a degree at the end which is what matters - alongside actual experience as a process engineer (which isn't a given that you'll be able to get after graduation).
Hey.

Hi Salome,
I'm a current 4th year Chemical Engineering Student doing an MEng at Lancaster so maybe i can help with some advice. First I'd say congrats on your uni offers as well as making it to the last 3in your Astrazeneca apprenticeship.
I remeber when I was deciding between degree apprenticeship and uni degree and the main reason holding me back from the apprenticeship was the 5 years vs the 3 years. In reality, it doesnt really matter how long it takes to get your degree. Whilst at uni, especially eith engineering, you are encouraged to get industrial experience, meaning most on the 3 year course would take a year out doing a placement making it 4 years overall. At Lancaster you are also given the option to upgrade from the BEng to the MEng making it a possible 5 year course. Yes it may take longer to get your degree, but in those 5 years at Astrazeneca you will probably undertake activities which will help you reach chartership, so yes the time it takes to get the degrees is different but the rough time to get chartership will probably pretty similar.
There are a bunch of similarities as well as differences between the two but both are really good routes in to engineering and you might have to consider other things outside of the academics such as the social side and financial side, but the time difference shouldnt be a major one.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Patrick - 4th Year Chemical Engineering Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Hey.

Hi I just wanted to ask if the company picks the university for you or you suggested it yourself
Original post by mjolnr
Hi I just wanted to ask if the company picks the university for you or you suggested it yourself

The company picks the university for you and generally it will be a university that is close to where you are working. The choice of university does not matter because the experience gained through an apprenticeship will outweigh that of a degree.
Hey.

hi

firstly good work with everything. hope you are coping well

i applied to uni and degree apprenticeships this year. i was hoping for a couple degree apprenticeships and would've definitely taken them over uni but was unsuccessful. however i was just re-shortlisted by a company that rejected me and if i get this i dont know whether id choose it or Leeds, so im in the same situation as you.

you shouldn't feel embarrased about it taking 5 years - the reason it takes longer is because you're working full time so need more time to make up for not being at uni every day. its normal and employers also recognise this as normal so dont worry.

have you had work experience and enjoyed it? do you think working full time is for you? i had work experience and loved it, thats why i really wanted to do a degree apprenticeship but if you think uni is for you then do that.

5 years at astrazeneca would only do you good though, i think it is worth it. however, despite what another commentor said, i feel like it might be worth looking into the uni as you might be better off going to a better one and just doing internships and placements. and with internships you can explore more companies that do different things. however you can also do a masters at a better uni if you want to do so.

also i just realised this was posted 3 months ago lol - if you have decided on what youre doing could you give me some tips as i need some advice from someone in the same boat.

thanks and all the best
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
My profession offers both routes so I can speak from experience - with a degree and 2 years work experience -v- a 5 year degree apprenticeship the latter will be perceived as more valuable in the job market however the gap will start to close and within 2 or 3 more years the route taken will not matter much in terms of future employability. The decision really comes down to whether you want to work, study and earn, with the job security offered or just study, have the freedom that entails, but with no job security. It really boils down to the individual and the most basic consideration which is money or freedom?

Quick Reply

Latest