The Student Room Group

Maths modules combination

I've completed A-Level Maths (C1-C4, S1, D1).. I have also completed M1 and M2 for Further Maths meaning I have to complete FP1-FP3 and M3 to ensure I achieve a full A-level in Further Maths..

I am hoping to achieve an A* in FM but I think I will find it difficult to achieve 90 in 3 A2 modules so my question is if I picked up more modules (e.g. M4, S2, S3) and got higher UMS in these, will these modules replace the others? For example, lets say I get 82 in M3 but 90 in M4.. Will my M4 replace M3 in my Further Maths A-level? Or is this not possible since M3 comes before M4?
I think it is the best three... Regardless of order, but I'm not 100% this is the case...

Chances are you'll get 90+ in M2/3 S2/3 anyway, or higher than in M4.
Reply 2
Original post by GPODT
I've completed A-Level Maths (C1-C4, S1, D1).. I have also completed M1 and M2 for Further Maths meaning I have to complete FP1-FP3 and M3 to ensure I achieve a full A-level in Further Maths..

I am hoping to achieve an A* in FM but I think I will find it difficult to achieve 90 in 3 A2 modules so my question is if I picked up more modules (e.g. M4, S2, S3) and got higher UMS in these, will these modules replace the others? For example, lets say I get 82 in M3 but 90 in M4.. Will my M4 replace M3 in my Further Maths A-level? Or is this not possible since M3 comes before M4?

The best results that meet the requirement of the specification would be used to calculate your grade. So FP1 would have to be used as would either FP2 or FP3. For the rest they would just choose the best results from the exams taken.
That said it's got to be a lot easier to work to improve M3 than learn M4 from scratch and hope to achieve the required UMS. S2 on the other hand is pretty straighforward.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
The best results that meet the requirement of the specification would be used to calculate your grade. So FP1 would have to be used as would either FP2 or FP3. For the rest they would just choose the best results from the exams taken.
That said it's got to be a lot easier to work to improve M3 than learn M4 from scratch and hope to achieve the required UMS. S2 on the other hand is pretty straighforward.

Thanks for the reply. So technically it IS possible? The reason I want to do more modules is because I am only doing 3 Modules in June and I thought I might as well learn something new by doing another module or two.
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42

Wait.. if I achieve my highest UMS scores in FP2 and FP3, surely they'd include both these 2 over a module where I got a lower UMS (e.g M3) ?
Reply 5
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I think it is the best three... Regardless of order, but I'm not 100% this is the case...

Chances are you'll get 90+ in M2/3 S2/3 anyway, or higher than in M4.

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by GPODT
Wait.. if I achieve my highest UMS scores in FP2 and FP3, surely they'd include both these 2 over a module where I got a lower UMS (e.g M3) ?

Yes if you do but if you don't they don't have to include them both

Quick Reply

Latest