The Student Room Group

Should I take my physics or statistics in my current situation

Hello, originally I was planning to do maths, further maths and physics in a level course however after receiving my gcse results which wasn’t great I’m not sure if I should do those 3 courses but now instead I want to do statistics instead of physics, I got a 6 in physics and last year I got a 7 in stats gcse. I’ve been told lots of information that taking three maths together might be limited career path and it’s better to take physics maths and further maths. The problem is my physics knowledge personally isn’t the best either. So stuck in this dilemma and some advice would really help
Reply 1
What was your maths gcse grade?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
What was your maths gcse grade?

8 not far off a 9
Reply 3
Original post by Brennan007
8 not far off a 9

Well done! How were your other GCSE results? Any subjects you were particularly strong in?
Reply 4
I would have said physics but not anymore since I apparently got a 6
Reply 5
Maths, Further Maths and Statistics will limit your course choices. It's like taking a few modules of Maths and Further Maths as your third subject. I'm sorry to say it but depending on the course you apply for, your application might not be as strong as the others because of this subject combination.

What do you want to study in uni?
Reply 6
Maths 😂
Reply 7
Original post by Brennan007
Maths 😂

Ohhh. That makes this situation a lot less worrisome 😂.

However, I still wouldn't advise you to take such a combination. Most applicants will be coming in with a third subject that shows they're capable of doing well in non-Maths subjects. Also, most really selective unis will expect you to take a third subject like Physics or Economics or Computer Science. Even Geography or Art sounds better despite not being Maths-related subjects. Basically, anything that isn't just another aspect of Maths is better for a third subject.

Quick Reply

Latest