The Student Room Group

Consequences of transferring universities?

Basically I'm currently at UEA studying Computer Engineering and I am in my second year.

I am however looking to transfer to London as that's where I live and well I hate being away from my family, so that's the main reason why I want to move back to London, along with the fact that my dad is quite ill so it would help for me to move back.

I have spoken to City University London and they've offered me a place provided I pass 2 certain modules, however, I will have to restart my 2nd year obviously as there is no 3rd year entry. I'm willing to do this because I'm actually probably going to fail the 2nd year here at UEA as I'm struggling with all the work and nobody is helping me and deadlines are coming up fast so I'm probably going to fail here anyway, so another reason why I want to move is to dodge failing!

The thing is, what are the consequences of this move, for my future? will employers not hire me because I took 4 years at university due to a transfer, even though my stated formal reason for moving is my dad being ill? Is City a big downgrade from UEA?

I don't mind doing the work again if it means I will be better at it next time (and trust me, I will...). There are so many upsides! I get to be with my family, I get to live in London which I love compared to Norwich, which I hate! I get lots of spare money as I don't have to spend student finance on rent, bills, food, etc, so I can actually afford to travel...

I do have to complete my current year here at UEA to move though so I still have to stay until end of May or so and complete it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get a decent grade here.

My future career plans: to finish uni, work in computing to save up enough money to take flying lessons and get my private pilot's license and go on to become an airline pilot. And I have some work experience so far but it's all in travel and the holiday booking industry...

Help, anyone!?
Reply 1
Somebody please reply! I need some advice :frown:
Original post by pjharb2010
Somebody please reply! I need some advice :frown:

The move won't make any difference to a career as an airline pilot. There are far more relevant and difficult hurdles to cross in getting a flight deck seat that which degree you took and where. In fact a degree is not normally a requirement anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending