The Student Room Group

Transfering university

HI, i just wanted to know as a fist year university student i intend to transfer university and was wondering if the university will care about my first year university modules or would they mostly care about my high school grades? i also wanted to know who would i ask to write my reference for my UCAS application? i have got told to ask my personal tutor, however my personal tutor does not know me that well as i have just started my first year at university
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by zakhan818
HI, i just wanted to know as a fist year university student i intend to transfer university and was wondering if the university will care about my first year university modules or would they mostly care about my high school grades? i also wanted to know who would i ask to write my reference for my UCAS application? i have got told to ask my personal tutor, however my personal tutor does not know me that well as i have just started my first year at university

Transferring is very difficult. Most universities dont accept a transfer into year 2 and basically you would need to start again from year 1. To get transfers it would usually mean you have to meet the entry requirements as regards A levels and your modules would have to be closely aligned. It would be wise to ask the university you intend transferring to whether they will accept transfers and what their requirements would be. The reference would come usually from your personal tutor who can ask others for any information needed.

The Transfer FAQ addresses your questions.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
The Transfer FAQ addresses your questions.

Hi, but i don't understand how I would sort out my references? Would I need to go into my high school for that? As i have been told by some people to get my reference form my personal tutor at university but she doesn't really know me that well.

Thanks
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi, but i don't understand how I would sort out my references? Would I need to go into my high school for that? As i have been told by some people to get my reference form my personal tutor at university but she doesn't really know me that well.

Thanks

You need to speak to your personal tutor. They shouldn’t have any problem providing you with a reference.

Your referee doesn’t have to be your soulmate, just someone who has access to your marks and work and understands why you’re applying elsewhere.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You need to speak to your personal tutor. They shouldn’t have any problem providing you with a reference.

Your referee doesn’t have to be your soulmate, just someone who has access to your marks and work and understands why you’re applying elsewhere.

Oh that makes sense thank you so much!

Hi @zakhan818,

All universities do transferring a bit differently, so the best thing to do is contact the university you are interested in studying at so you can go about it in the way they would like.

Not all courses accept transfers into second year, so one thing to check when calling is if the course you want to study accepts year 2 transfers and if they have any places available.

It is likely you will need to have passed all your year 1 modules to move onto the second year at another university. You will need to list all the modules and marks you have got for these, as one thing the university may be looking for is how similar the modules are that you studied in year 1 compared to the year 1 modules at their university.

At Hallam, you would just need to make a new UCAS application, stating year 2 as your year of entry, and your reasons for transferring in your personal statement. You would need to get a reference from someone who knows how you are doing on your course, so this could be a personal tutor, or it could be your course leader or one of your lecturers if you perhaps know them better and would feel comfortable asking them for a reference. PQ is right though in that you do not need to know your personal tutor well in order to ask for a reference 🙂

I hope you find this useful and good luck in finding your new university ❤️

- Rosie (Official Hallam Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending