The Student Room Group

Transferring universities - not sure how to do it or what to do

So I'm currently a social housing tenant whose under occupying a three bedroom house. I've just checked my emails (I know, I need to check my emails more regularly) and I received an email from my housing officer.

I originally contacted my housing officer to explain, I got a three bedroom house, I'm under occupying and I want to downsize to a one bedroom property as I don't want to take a house that another family could use, I also explained to him I'm going to university in September.

He emailed back to me ages ago that I can keep the house because I have a medical condition if I didn't I would have had to give it up and go into student accommodation. Many months later, he emailed me last Friday.

My housing officer has found a one bedroom flat in central London that I can downsize too, the rent is the exact same price I'm paying for this house. He knows I've got a place at university, he told me they can wait for a whole year, so I would be moving this time next year.

The issue is as I have a current place at university, it would be a nearly 3 hour public transport journey to get from my place to uni and back each way as I don't drive.

I'm considering transferring universities next year as there's many universities within half an hour of that flat that I could pick. What's an added bonus is the degree I picked is the career I want to go into but there's barely any jobs in my field, by moving to this flat in London, I will be able to apply for loads of job in my field once I graduate as it's within a 20 to 30 minute commuting distance.

How would I go about transferring universities?
Original post by leedsstudent2001
So I'm currently a social housing tenant whose under occupying a three bedroom house. I've just checked my emails (I know, I need to check my emails more regularly) and I received an email from my housing officer.

I originally contacted my housing officer to explain, I got a three bedroom house, I'm under occupying and I want to downsize to a one bedroom property as I don't want to take a house that another family could use, I also explained to him I'm going to university in September.

He emailed back to me ages ago that I can keep the house because I have a medical condition if I didn't I would have had to give it up and go into student accommodation. Many months later, he emailed me last Friday.

My housing officer has found a one bedroom flat in central London that I can downsize too, the rent is the exact same price I'm paying for this house. He knows I've got a place at university, he told me they can wait for a whole year, so I would be moving this time next year.

The issue is as I have a current place at university, it would be a nearly 3 hour public transport journey to get from my place to uni and back each way as I don't drive.

I'm considering transferring universities next year as there's many universities within half an hour of that flat that I could pick. What's an added bonus is the degree I picked is the career I want to go into but there's barely any jobs in my field, by moving to this flat in London, I will be able to apply for loads of job in my field once I graduate as it's within a 20 to 30 minute commuting distance.

How would I go about transferring universities?

Your starting point, I suggest, would be to check the web site of each university you might like to transfer to and establish whether they accept transfers for your course and your year (neither of which you've mentioned), and what their process would be. For example, see:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/transferring-to-kings
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply (see the Second Year Entry and Transfer Students section)
https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/566200/Student-Transfer-Policy.pdf (see the Transferring to Undergraduate Programmes at City section)

Note that you will almost certainly be asked to provide a reference from your current university as part of the transfer process.
There is a transfer FAQ at the top of this forum which explains the process well:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

Personally I would not recommend enrolling somewhere with the intention of transferring as you may find that the local unis either don’t consider transfers or not from your particular course.

Equally, transferring could be fine but you just need to be aware that it’s risky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending