The Student Room Group

Resitting A Levels while in university

Is it possible?
My degree is in humanities and I plan to resit my A Levels as the grad job I am looking to get has higher A Level requirements and I’m ready to dedicated a crazy amount of time studying both my BA and A Levels at the same time.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is it possible?
My degree is in humanities and I plan to resit my A Levels as the grad job I am looking to get has higher A Level requirements and I’m ready to dedicated a crazy amount of time studying both my BA and A Levels at the same time.

Hello,

While possible yes, it is an incredible amount of work to accomplish. It really depends on how much time you can actually spend studying without burning out. What about social life and events? What about looking after yourself--cooking, getting outside etc.?

You don't want to sacrifice your degree grade for A level results in the grand scheme of things.

Does your first year of university count to your degree? Or are you done with first year? That'll also be useful to know when deciding if what you've suggested will be doable or incredibly stress-inducing.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,

While possible yes, it is an incredible amount of work to accomplish. It really depends on how much time you can actually spend studying without burning out. What about social life and events? What about looking after yourself--cooking, getting outside etc.?

You don't want to sacrifice your degree grade for A level results in the grand scheme of things.

Does your first year of university count to your degree? Or are you done with first year? That'll also be useful to know when deciding if what you've suggested will be doable or incredibly stress-inducing.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Thank you for your response :smile: . I am actually doing a foundation year and I need a 40 per cent to get onto the undergraduate degree.
I am a mature student as well (21 tomorrow) as I took a couple of gap years. I didn’t resit in the gap years because I had a lot going on and I didn’t think my A Level grades would matter that much for what I want to do. I got BCC and knew I could do better but I was part of the 2021 cohort so the grades for that year were also based on first year tests.
Reply 3
Thank you for your response :smile: . I am actually doing a foundation year and I need a 40 per cent to get onto the undergraduate degree.
I am a mature student as well (21 tomorrow) as I took a couple of gap years. I didn’t resit in the gap years because I had a lot going on and I didn’t think my A Level grades would matter that much for what I want to do. I got BCC and knew I could do better but I was part of the 2021 cohort so the grades for that year were also based on first year tests.

For the career, I am planning on they require on average AAA. And I want to give myself more options as my current grades mean I am very limited for choice on where I can apply. And it is already VERY competitive
Reply 4
Is it possible?

Its it possible? Theoretically, yes. In practice, no.

What will you do if your A level exams clash with your university exams? Neither will be rescheduled to accommodate you.

You're running the risk that you'll do poorly in either your A level resits, or your degree course.

You mention below that you're doing a foundation year at university. I'd say that you should concentrate on your degree course and make sure you do really well on that. Don't take the risk of doing poorly in your foundation year because you're potentially spending time on your A level resits that on your university studies.
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
Its it possible? Theoretically, yes. In practice, no.

What will you do if your A level exams clash with your university exams? Neither will be rescheduled to accommodate you.

You're running the risk that you'll do poorly in either your A level resits, or your degree course.

You mention below that you're doing a foundation year at university. I'd say that you should concentrate on your degree course and make sure you do really well on that. Don't take the risk of doing poorly in your foundation year because you're potentially spending time on your A level resits that on your university studies.

But if I stick to a very tight schedule, could it not be possible? I don’t mind having much of a social life for the first year if I can improve my grades. Otherwise, would you recommend just taking the year out to focus enitrely on A Levels and THEN going to university?
It would be a lot cheaper to retake A levels and then go straight on to a degree course, skipping the foundation year.
For the career, I am planning on they require on average AAA. And I want to give myself more options as my current grades mean I am very limited for choice on where I can apply. And it is already VERY competitive

Which career is it that’s going to demand AAA from A levels taken at 18 from a graduate who’s 25?
(because quite frankly they sound stupid)
Is it possible?

It doesn't work like that. There are two options.

Option A you are applying to an employer who uses rigid structures to filter down the number of applicants. One of those rigidities is that A levels are an indicator of academic ability aged 18, so resitting them at 21/22 shows nothing. You still dinged them at 18 and aren't showing the academic potential they want to see.

Option B you are applying to a more flexible employer who doesn't give detailed credit to any A level grades taken 2020-23 because they are all a load of nonsense.

In either case, resitting A levels is a completely pointless exercise with employers in mind, unless you are 30+ and starting/changing a career that is qualification based.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Which career is it that’s going to demand AAA from A levels taken at 18 from a graduate who’s 25?
(because quite frankly they sound stupid)

Law.
Reply 10
Original post by normaw
It would be a lot cheaper to retake A levels and then go straight on to a degree course, skipping the foundation year.

University debt is a tax though, not really a traditional type of debt
Reply 11
Original post by threeportdrift
It doesn't work like that. There are two options.

Option A you are applying to an employer who uses rigid structures to filter down the number of applicants. One of those rigidities is that A levels are an indicator of academic ability aged 18, so resitting them at 21/22 shows nothing. You still dinged them at 18 and aren't showing the academic potential they want to see.

Option B you are applying to a more flexible employer who doesn't give detailed credit to any A level grades taken 2020-23 because they are all a load of nonsense.

In either case, resitting A levels is a completely pointless exercise with employers in mind, unless you are 30+ and starting/changing a career that is qualification based.

Ok, so would you recommend that I take a gap year to resit my A Levels and apply for an LLB for next year instead of doing a foundation year?
I want to know if it can be done and if the workload is possible. I need certain A Level grades to be able to apply for a lot of law firms so I am thinking of resitting them while doing my foundation year. For context, I am 21.
People are telling me to just take the year off and not go to university for the foundation year but I know I won’t be able to focus in my home environment as its a chaotic and loud household and I would be better off doing it at university away from home.
I’m doing history with foundation year at an RG uni. Planning on SQE or PGDL after graduating.
(edited 7 months ago)
Ok, so would you recommend that I take a gap year to resit my A Levels and apply for an LLB for next year instead of doing a foundation year?

I'd recommend resitting A-level instead of foundation year as resitting is much less costly. BCC really ain't great. If you can turn the Cs into A/A* then it's AAB or A*AB and you can apply for a stronger LLB for next year.

You're gonna have to do a foundation year anyway for an LLB worth doing - might as well just resit. And you can even do something else in your gap year.
Reply 14
Original post by justlearning1469
I'd recommend resitting A-level instead of foundation year as resitting is much less costly. BCC really ain't great. If you can turn the Cs into A/A* then it's AAB or A*AB and you can apply for a stronger LLB for next year.

You're gonna have to do a foundation year anyway for an LLB worth doing - might as well just resit. And you can even do something else in your gap year.

I am 21 by the way.
I’m 21 and I just don’t have time to waste. People are telling me to just take the year off and not go to university for the foundation year but I know I won’t be able to focus in my home environment as its a chaotic and loud household and I would be better off doing it at university away from home.
Reply 15

The cost isn’t really a debt though, its more like a tax you pay each month if you make over a certain amount.
I am 21 by the way.
I’m 21 and I just don’t have time to waste. People are telling me to just take the year off and not go to university for the foundation year but I know I won’t be able to focus in my home environment as its a chaotic and loud household and I would be better off doing it at university away from home.

In that case, go to the foundation year.

Good luck with your studies. I guess if you do quite well in the foundation year you can transfer to other universities.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 17
In that case, go to the foundation year.

Good luck with your studies. I guess if you do quite well in the foundation year you can transfer to other universities.

The foundation year is in history and I plan on doing a PGDL/SQE after I finish the whole history degree.

Also, I am very willing to give up a lot of my social life in order to study for A Levels while doing the foundation yer
You don’t have to go to university to leave home if your home environment isn’t suited to resitting?
Original post by PQ
You don’t have to go to university to leave home if your home environment isn’t suited to resitting?

I cant afford to move out yet, id most likely only be able to move out by myself by maybe march next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending