The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Heard nothing from St Andrews

I've applied to St Andrews for History well before the UCAS deadline but haven't had so much as an auto-email from them since. Is this a bad sign? When is the latest I could reasonably expect to get an offer from them? I've heard from all the other unis I've applied to, but St A's is the one I most want to go to, and not a peep :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I applied for History and Languages very close to the deadline, and I haven't had a decision but I have had a confirmation that St A have my application- might be worth giving them a ring just to check they got it ok :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by zergonipal
I've applied to St Andrews for History well before the UCAS deadline but haven't had so much as an auto-email from them since. Is this a bad sign? When is the latest I could reasonably expect to get an offer from them? I've heard from all the other unis I've applied to, but St A's is the one I most want to go to, and not a peep :frown:

If you literally didn't even get an auto-email, I'd ring them. I got one (different course, but still) and it seems like pretty standard procedure.
Reply 3
I applied for history and languages last year (mid September) and didn't receive an auto email either - my offer came through at the end of February, so I shouldn't worry about it. If it would put your mind at rest then why not give them a ring?
Same thing for me, except I've applied for Geography. No word from them, but the final deadline to hear from unis is May 9th so I wouldn't worry too much. Going by what I've seen on here they are the same every year. I sent my UCAS off in October so I was way before the deadline too. So dont panic, it's not just you!
Reply 5
Don't panic! I would email admissions and ask them if they received your application. Just for piece of mind!
Reply 6
It is rather odd that you received no email acknowledging your application as myself and many others did. The email was only a confirmation but I would contact them and confirm your application was received (if you haven't done so already that is).
Reply 7
Original post by JM4UNI
It is rather odd that you received no email acknowledging your application as myself and many others did. The email was only a confirmation but I would contact them and confirm your application was received (if you haven't done so already that is).

I think it might have something to do with the departments as opposed to a University-wide policy.

Chemistry like to send you a lot of letters about your application.
I'm in the same boat! Except I applied only a couple of days before the deadline.

I'm worried since some members posted in the offers thread saying they got an offer for my course (Computer Science) back at the end of January/start of February. And I've heard nothing from them.

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm getting nervous! Torn between Edinburgh and St Andrews anyway since I got an unconditional for Edinburgh, but St Andrews was initially my first choice and they'res pros and cons to both for me! I guess I won't be too disappointed then if I don't get in since I won't have to worry about making a decision, but I just want to know. x[
I wouldn't worry, I haven't got a reply or a confirmation e-mail and I applied 4 days before the Oxbridge deadline.
Reply 10
Yeah, also applied for History, and still waiting for an offer (as are my other friends applying for History there). The Uni website suggests its reasonable to wait until March 31 for an offer.

Edit. I applied a couple of weeks before Oxbridge deadline.
Reply 11
I applied on the deadline (Jan 15) for French and Russian and i haven't had a decision, should I be worried?
Original post by rac1
I applied on the deadline (Jan 15) for French and Russian and i haven't had a decision, should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry too much, I applied for German and Russian and still haven't heard. On their website it says 'we aim to make all decisions by 31st March' so I wouldn't worry until after then :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by hannah_lou
I wouldn't worry too much, I applied for German and Russian and still haven't heard. On their website it says 'we aim to make all decisions by 31st March' so I wouldn't worry until after then :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good thankyou. Are you thinking of maybe firming St Andrew's if you get an offer? A while ago I saw someone on the 'ask a student thread' thread for St Andrew's and they were asking if they could change from Russian to another a course because they found the classes way too big and too fast-paced. The library at st Andrews is a bit rubbish too apparently, even though it's just been refurbished. Apart from that I do/did really want to go...:beard:
Original post by rac1
Oh good thankyou. Are you thinking of maybe firming St Andrew's if you get an offer? A while ago I saw someone on the 'ask a student thread' thread for St Andrew's and they were asking if they could change from Russian to another a course because they found the classes way too big and too fast-paced. The library at st Andrews is a bit rubbish too apparently, even though it's just been refurbished. Apart from that I do/did really want to go...:beard:

I'm not sure as I really fell for Bristol when I visited last week, such a difficult decision :/ maybe, depends if I even get an offer haha, how about you? Oh really, so you've visited? :s-smilie: I met a guy at the Nottingham visit day who applied there for the same course as me and he withdrew because he found the department unorganised and was annoyed at the wait. We should get offers just for patience :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by hannah_lou
I'm not sure as I really fell for Bristol when I visited last week, such a difficult decision :/ maybe, depends if I even get an offer haha, how about you? Oh really, so you've visited? :s-smilie: I met a guy at the Nottingham visit day who applied there for the same course as me and he withdrew because he found the department unorganized and was annoyed at the wait. We should get offers just for patience :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! you applied to Bristol too :smile: I wanted to visit there but I emailed them to say that I couldn't make it (Manchester's day/interview was on the same day :rolleyes:) they haven't got back to me- I really need to sort that out :colondollar:. yeah, i went in October i do like the town and I think I would like it because of it's small size and the students seemed nice (two strangers randomly stopped to help with directions/advice-one of them said that there scottish friend did French in first year and she found it hard). I only met a French lecturer who was likeable and a Spanish one who even recommended Bath to me :biggrin: I know it is a bit of a long wait, I sort of like that they wait a while to make a decision and it doesn't matter when you applied you still get offers around the same time. I'd like to actually hear something from them though!
Original post by rac1
Yay! you applied to Bristol too :smile: I wanted to visit there but I emailed them to say that I couldn't make it (Manchester's day/interview was on the same day :rolleyes:) they haven't got back to me- I really need to sort that out :colondollar:. yeah, i went in October i do like the town and I think I would like it because of it's small size and the students seemed nice (two strangers randomly stopped to help with directions/advice-one of them said that there scottish friend did French in first year and she found it hard). I only met a French lecturer who was likeable and a Spanish one who even recommended Bath to me :biggrin: I know it is a bit of a long wait, I sort of like that they wait a while to make a decision and it doesn't matter when you applied you still get offers around the same time. I'd like to actually hear something from them though!

Oh Bristol was good :smile: where else did you apply? Ahh you could probs arrange a private tour, might be best. Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? Oh so mixed stuff about the department then! I feel the same as you and understand your frustration but loads came through yesterday so fingers crossed for today! Let me know the outcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rac1

Hi just thought I'd let you know that I just got my offer!! You should hear soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I'm in the same position - applied in mid-November and still waiting to hear back from St Andrews (for French/German/Spanish). Hopefully today will be the day - it's my first choice and the only uni I'm waiting to hear back from. Getting so stressed as some of my friends have started to hear back! Congratulations on your offer, hannah_lou!
Original post by Eil_C
I'm in the same position - applied in mid-November and still waiting to hear back from St Andrews (for French/German/Spanish). Hopefully today will be the day - it's my first choice and the only uni I'm waiting to hear back from. Getting so stressed as some of my friends have started to hear back! Congratulations on your offer, hannah_lou!

Thanks Eil_C :biggrin: a long wait but so worth it! I think today will be the day for you so best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending