The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

MSc. Accounting And Finance

Hello all,

I have recently been offered a place at WBS for their postgraduate course in MSc. Accounting and Finance. According to the website it is a new course so I have wondering about the career prospects after getting a degree in MSc. Accounting and Finance from WBS.

My background: I'm not from the UK or EU countries. I have a strong interest in investment banking after graduation and am open to emerging markets as well. I would particularly be interested working in Hong Kong or Singapore, though I'm not a citizen of these countries.

I would greatly appreciate any insights on this particular course as I have 6 weeks to accept the offer.

Thanks in advance and some pearls of wisdom will definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,
T
Reply 1
I would imagine accounting and finance isn't the best course for investment banking, tho Warwick' finance is v good! Its no doubt warwick is the top choice of employer in the uk but internationally it might not be as good as the likes of UCL/LSE even tho they r regarded as the same level of unis. But it's all down to u to prove urself to the employer that u can add value to them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
tup
OP
Original post by maple1736
I would imagine accounting and finance isn't the best course for investment banking, tho Warwick' finance is v good! Its no doubt warwick is the top choice of employer in the uk but internationally it might not be as good as the likes of UCL/LSE even tho they r regarded as the same level of unis. But it's all down to u to prove urself to the employer that u can add value to them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot... Although it would great to get some more thoughts.
Reply 3
A + F is fine but your are not a citizen of either country so you will a much bugger name like Oxbridge , even LSE won't do.
Reply 4
tup
OP
Original post by Zenomorph
A + F is fine but your are not a citizen of either country so you will a much bugger name like Oxbridge , even LSE won't do.

Thanks, Zenomorph. Why would you think LSE wouldn't work? I've heard warwick has a huge alumni network in Asia and Europe.
Reply 5
tup
OP

Although, these guys aren't business majors. What do you have to say about these??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Valiant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Hart_(economist)
Reply 6
Original post by tup
Thanks, Zenomorph. Why would you think LSE wouldn't work? I've heard warwick has a huge alumni network in Asia and Europe.

Like I said: Competition is big, LSE MSc is not enough , you will need a LSE UG too and all at high grades.
Who said they have a big network ? Are they independent resources or alumni hyping up their place to draw in more suckers for their courses ?

As for HK (I am a HK Chinese btw), this will be nearly impossible for an entry level guy. A law was passed about 10 years ago which states that any non HK/PRC entrant into the job market has to PROVE he is not displacing a local citizen.

So unless you are in a senior position or extremely well qualified - ie) Harvard/ yale / Princeton then you're chances next to to nil.

Singapore is still OK for the moment but of course competition is fierce to to above.

So sorry I don't mean to pour cold water on you but better you know this than waste your time an money.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by tup
Although, these guys aren't business majors. What do you have to say about these??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Valiant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Hart_(economist)

I have no idea what relevance these two are to this conversation but in any case valiant was a Warwick Phd, his UG was in Cambridge
Reply 8
tup
OP
I have no idea what relevance these two are to this conversation but in any case valiant was a Warwick Phd, his UG was in Cambridge

Thanks for the advice man!! If anyone else has some advice, that is greatly appreciated too.

Quick Reply

Latest