The Student Room Group

ears ringing after night out

Last night i went to a rock club and for 4 hours straight me and my friends were stood by the speaker (i wanted to move but they wanted to be there).

When we left the club, my ears were ringing so loud it was like alarms going off in my head. I have had this before but never to this extent.

So today I still have the ringing in my right ear..though it has improved very slightly.

And i have learnt my lesson and in future i am taking my ear plugs!

Has anyone else had this and how long does it normally take to go?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Reply 2
I've been to quite a few loud rock concerts (ACDC, Motorhead ect), and the ringing usually stops in a couple of days!!!
Hope this helps!!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pinkangelgirl
anyone?

Hi

I have this too, just I have it permanently and can never get rid of it. It's called Tinnitus and you get it by exposing yourself to damaging amounts of loud noise. I went to lots of gigs without knowing I was damaging my ears and now I'm stuck suffering the consequences, so you're right to get some ear plugs and avoid this. It's a very horrible thing to have, trying to get to sleep at night is a mental battle not to go crazy at the ringing sound. Some people don't seem to have this problem though, but I'd be careful.

At first it'll go after a few days but after lots of exposure it'll begin to stay.
Reply 4
Get some ear plugs. A lot of the people I know who go to a lot of gigs say that it's the best investment you can make. £5-£10 on a decent flat attenuation set will last for years and years, and so will your hearing! I have some really cheap earplugs I use at gigs (these ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-Howard-Leight-Laser-Plugs/dp/B0007XJOLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361652093&sr=8-1). They're not flat attenuation but I will only have slight ringing in my ears for a few minutes after the show and then I'm fine.
Original post by xDave-
Hi

I have this too, just I have it permanently and can never get rid of it. It's called Tinnitus and you get it by exposing yourself to damaging amounts of loud noise. I went to lots of gigs without knowing I was damaging my ears and now I'm stuck suffering the consequences, so you're right to get some ear plugs and avoid this. It's a very horrible thing to have, trying to get to sleep at night is a mental battle not to go crazy at the ringing sound. Some people don't seem to have this problem though, but I'd be careful.

At first it'll go after a few days but after lots of exposure it'll begin to stay.

Firstly, I want to say massive kudos to you. If I am stuck with this I think i will go insane. Ive been crying all day it has been stressing me so badly.

The thing is, I rarely go clubbing- say once every few months, but I do always get tinnitus after it. However, this time it is excessively bad- Ive never had it last over a day, and this doesnt even sound like its planning on going :frown:

How do i know if its planning on staying permanently- since its already stayed longer than it normally would (however the exposure was worse, i was right by the speaker).
Reply 6
It's almost certainly a temporary thing, i'd be shocked if a trip to a club had seriously damaged your ears.

It took my old man standing by the bass drums of a motor head gig in his youth to blow his ear drum out haha the fact you rarely got to loud clubs etc suggests its just a case of not being used to it... if it doesn't go in 2-3 days or gets worse then go the docs but for now try not to worry and just forget about it :smile:
Reply 7
Firstly, I want to say massive kudos to you. If I am stuck with this I think i will go insane. Ive been crying all day it has been stressing me so badly.

The thing is, I rarely go clubbing- say once every few months, but I do always get tinnitus after it. However, this time it is excessively bad- Ive never had it last over a day, and this doesnt even sound like its planning on going :frown:

How do i know if its planning on staying permanently- since its already stayed longer than it normally would (however the exposure was worse, i was right by the speaker).

Well just to point out quickly, I may have the condition but I'm no expert, so keep in mind what I say may not be accurate.

The first time I noticed the severity of mine was when I was in a similar situation to yours; standing next to a 10 foot speaker for about 3 hours straight. The ringing was intense after that and it took three days to even seem like it was dimming. That was when I went to the doctors about it and I recall it being there ever since after that.

That's not to say yours will be; it seems to vary person to person. Hopefully your ears are more resistant than mine and will recover from this. The time it takes to subside also seems to vary, apparently it can take up to months for some people. It'll take more than one day to go so don't panic too much right now.

Anyway, I'd say it's crucial that you avoid loud noise for the next few weeks though. Your ears need time to recover and you really don't want to have this noise with you for the rest of your life. So try to avoid clubbing or listening to music loudly (especially with earphones) for the next few weeks. If you do have to go anywhere like that, pick up some foam earphones. You can get them from chemists and places like tesco and boots. If the noise is irritating you, then listen to something like this on a low ish volume, just enough so it drowns out the ringing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYw7eJYadco

We're never really educated on this kind of ear safety and I feel quite aggrieved that we're not. Hopefully what I've said will help you out and I guess I'll say try not to stress about it but I suppose you can't do that. If you have any more questions then I'd be happy to answer, just quote me for a reply.
Original post by dave_123
It's almost certainly a temporary thing, i'd be shocked if a trip to a club had seriously damaged your ears.

It took my old man standing by the bass drums of a motor head gig in his youth to blow his ear drum out haha the fact you rarely got to loud clubs etc suggests its just a case of not being used to it... if it doesn't go in 2-3 days or gets worse then go the docs but for now try not to worry and just forget about it :smile:

the problem is i was standing next to the speaker all night- im so angy with myself.

never had it this long which is why im upset :frown:
Original post by xDave-
Well just to point out quickly, I may have the condition but I'm no expert, so keep in mind what I say may not be accurate.

The first time I noticed the severity of mine was when I was in a similar situation to yours; standing next to a 10 foot speaker for about 3 hours straight. The ringing was intense after that and it took three days to even seem like it was dimming. That was when I went to the doctors about it and I recall it being there ever since after that.

That's not to say yours will be; it seems to vary person to person. Hopefully your ears are more resistant than mine and will recover from this. The time it takes to subside also seems to vary, apparently it can take up to months for some people. It'll take more than one day to go so don't panic too much right now.

Anyway, I'd say it's crucial that you avoid loud noise for the next few weeks though. Your ears need time to recover and you really don't want to have this noise with you for the rest of your life. So try to avoid clubbing or listening to music loudly (especially with earphones) for the next few weeks. If you do have to go anywhere like that, pick up some foam earphones. You can get them from chemists and places like tesco and boots. If the noise is irritating you, then listen to something like this on a low ish volume, just enough so it drowns out the ringing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYw7eJYadco

We're never really educated on this kind of ear safety and I feel quite aggrieved that we're not. Hopefully what I've said will help you out and I guess I'll say try not to stress about it but I suppose you can't do that. If you have any more questions then I'd be happy to answer, just quote me for a reply.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I just have this really horrible gut feeling that its not going to go.

Like I say, ive had it before but never ever like this :frown: normally its a very light ringing the next day, barely noticeable. Today its just been really loud.

I have been avoiding any sort of music, had youtube on low and am not using my headphones at all.

I honestly fear this wont go :frown:
Reply 10
Thank you so much for your reply.

I just have this really horrible gut feeling that its not going to go.

Like I say, ive had it before but never ever like this :frown: normally its a very light ringing the next day, barely noticeable. Today its just been really loud.

I have been avoiding any sort of music, had youtube on low and am not using my headphones at all.

I honestly fear this wont go :frown:

Hey, just try not to worry. Reading my last message back made it sound a bit pessimistic. I just wanted to get across how important it is to be careful; I don't think it's something you can really appreciate until you've had to live with it. I know what you mean about being angry with yourself; I got peer pressured into going to a nightclub recently and didn't have my earplugs. I had intense ringing for a full week and have made my condition even worse. Stupid!

This is the first time it's been really bad for you, chances are you're still going to go back to normal once a few weeks have passed. My ears seem pretty weak compared to most people's, so I probably required a lot less exposure than you hopefully will. Other than avoiding loud noises until then, there's really nothing you can do about it so you should just try to do something to take your mind off it. And anyway, in the worst case scenario, low level Tinnitus is quite manageable. I've had it for five years now and I'm not insane! At least I don't think so :tongue:

Tinnitus is something we all get as we get older anyway. I mean, that's usually when we're in our fifties/sixties when our ears start to give way, but it's something a large number of the population deals with. You don't have to worry about going insane unless you can hear it when there's noise around you, and that'd take a hell of a lot of exposure to get you to that point.

I hope it gets better soon, do update this thread or message me if you remember :smile:
Original post by xDave-
Hey, just try not to worry. Reading my last message back made it sound a bit pessimistic. I just wanted to get across how important it is to be careful; I don't think it's something you can really appreciate until you've had to live with it. I know what you mean about being angry with yourself; I got peer pressured into going to a nightclub recently and didn't have my earplugs. I had intense ringing for a full week and have made my condition even worse. Stupid!

This is the first time it's been really bad for you, chances are you're still going to go back to normal once a few weeks have passed. My ears seem pretty weak compared to most people's, so I probably required a lot less exposure than you hopefully will. Other than avoiding loud noises until then, there's really nothing you can do about it so you should just try to do something to take your mind off it. And anyway, in the worst case scenario, low level Tinnitus is quite manageable. I've had it for five years now and I'm not insane! At least I don't think so :tongue:

Tinnitus is something we all get as we get older anyway. I mean, that's usually when we're in our fifties/sixties when our ears start to give way, but it's something a large number of the population deals with. You don't have to worry about going insane unless you can hear it when there's noise around you, and that'd take a hell of a lot of exposure to get you to that point.

I hope it gets better soon, do update this thread or message me if you remember :smile:

Thanks for the reply. My ears are also normally quite sensitive, which is why im the only one with any problems and all my other friends are fine after that night!

So yeh...my right one is still ringing very loud today. :frown:
Just in case anyone else ever has this problem, here is some hope....

Had the ringing for a week, then it reduced a lot.

Still here, but nowhere near as bad.
Just in case anyone else ever has this problem, here is some hope....

Had the ringing for a week, then it reduced a lot.

Still here, but nowhere near as bad.

Next time wear ear plugs like the ER20, and even when wearing them don't stand next to the speaker. Personally I have a small amount of ringing that I can hear when it is completely quiet, but it doesn't affect me daily; sometimes for about 5 minutes in the morning it can be noticeable, then it goes away. I always hopeful that it will go forever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by xDave-
Hi

If it helps I read something about people suffering from Tinnitus who found that white noise helped to cancel out the ringing. One of them had a fan going all night because the noise helped block out the ringing sound that was stopping them going to sleep.
Original post by ThatPerson
Next time wear ear plugs like the ER20, and even when wearing them don't stand next to the speaker. Personally I have a small amount of ringing that I can hear when it is completely quiet, but it doesn't affect me daily; sometimes for about 5 minutes in the morning it can be noticeable, then it goes away. I always hopeful that it will go forever.

I went out to some live music last night and I wore some ear plugs and then when i got home thats when i noticed my tinnitus had improved!!

Its faint now, but the pitch has changed. Before it was a really high pitched frequency, very loud. Now, it sounds like when a radiator is filling up which is quieter.
I went out to some live music last night and I wore some ear plugs and then when i got home thats when i noticed my tinnitus had improved!!

Its faint now, but the pitch has changed. Before it was a really high pitched frequency, very loud. Now, it sounds like when a radiator is filling up which is quieter.

What brand did you use? I really hope someone finds a cure for Tinnitus in my lifetime. :/ At least Noise-induced tinnitus, because you can get it due to other reasons.
Reply 17
I wear them at gigs and sometimes at clubs. They're just a bit odd to be seen with in clubs, though I always have mine on me in case the music is too loud, I'm next to a speaker etc.

You can even hear people talk clearer through them!
I used to get ringing for half a day to a day the morning after clubbing for probably the firsr 6 months or so of going out. I haven't had it for years now though, possibly because I've damaged my ears, got used to it, or have been going to quieter clubs (dubious).
was really bad all week then on weds night i prayed about it and it healed on thursday!

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show