The Student Room Group

How much maths is required in computer science

So I applied for computer science at a number of universities, and I understand that you need a certain level of maths in order to do well there. Maths isn't my strong point, so my question is what sort of theories should I be revising, can you recommend any books? And is all this really necessary at all?
Reply 1
Discrete maths, linear algebra, proofs, graph theory, statistics .

Tbh non of the discrete maths books I've used were great but the standard recommended is Rosen's book.
For proofs have a look at "How to prove it".
Linear algebra and statistics any will do.

Yes it's definitely necessary eg from my from my third year courses are machine learning , compilers, computational optimization all require a good level of maths.

Look at:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-fall-2010/index.htm
Reply 2
it's an applied mathematics degree in essence.
Reply 3
You will be required to study maths on most computer science courses.. It's to make you think logically and in turn helps you figure out solutions to problems (you will see when you get to it why, it's to do with making everything a calculation as computers can't determine everything in the way we can). I'm ok at maths, not great - and got through it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending