The Student Room Group

What is the most annoying things other road users do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by mellitus94
Why do you think I'm a slow driver? When the conditions aren't dangerous and it's safe to do so I'll go right up to the speed limit on the road. And I'll overtake too. But I'm not prepared to overtake when I'm not sure it's safe to do so. You might get away with taking some risks on the road but you might not be so lucky one day.

In the conditions I described, every other driver was going the same speed as I was, leaving good braking distance, taking the sharp corners easily, braking softly and just generally driving to fit the conditions. Which of course meant driving slower and taking less risks. Also, at no point was there an opportunity for anyone to overtake, so why should I signal that person to overtake when I know it would be too dangerous? And why should I signal a person to make a manoeuvre that could cost them their life? They might trust my judgement and my judgement could be wrong. And then if they decide for themselves that they don't want to overtake and are still too close I should bully and intimidate them and drive recklessly too so that they will back off? Come on, continuously accelerating and braking when someone is right behind me? I'd rather keep out of an accident, thanks.

When someone's tailgating me, I'd actually rather just be sure that my own braking is softer and I don't lose focus. It's still frustrating when someone's so close, but it's the most sensible and safest way to drive.

Some people are just in a rush to get to their own funeral.

I think you're a slow driver because you complain rather than applaud, those who drive faster (without crashing) than you. Plus if you'd rather complain to nobody (which achieves nothing) than bully and intimidate in order to get your will accomplished, then I have little more to say to you, good luck on your travels.

I get tailgated too, even when driving fast, at the end of the day if someone goes into the back of you, you've got little to absolutely no control over their actions. So you may as well have a laugh, though perhaps bullying and intimidation of bad drivers doesn't make you laugh...
Exactly! They try to force you into doing something illegal because they think they know better than the law. :/

Yeap, i have have too many experiences with drivers like these, they're clearly in the wrong and must think speed limits don't apply to them, crazy isn't it
Reply 182
Pull out in front of me when im doing a perfectly reasonable 45 and then proceed to travel at 25(!!!) where theres nowhere to overtake.

so much road rage
Original post by A Cat
I think you're a slow driver because you complain rather than applaud, those who drive faster (without crashing) than you. Plus if you'd rather complain to nobody (which achieves nothing) than bully and intimidate in order to get your will accomplished, then I have little more to say to you, good luck on your travels.

I get tailgated too, even when driving fast, at the end of the day if someone goes into the back of you, you've got little to absolutely no control over their actions. So you may as well have a laugh, though perhaps bullying and intimidation of bad drivers doesn't make you laugh...

I don't complain if someone drives faster than me as long they don't put other road users at risk. Of course you can drive fast and still be safe, but why should I applaud someone who drives at 60 miles an hour or more in bad conditions? They could cause an accident, is that really something worth applauding?

How does it accomplish nothing? I'll still get to my destination in good time without endangering myself or other road users. Isn't that the point of driving?

Driving is enjoyable but it's not meant for "a laugh" or to bully other drivers, regardless of their skill. I'd rather give a bad driver a wide berth than further distract them. Of course, there are going to be accidents and situations you can't control or stop from happening, but you could prevent some by driving safely yourself instead of getting caught up in the emotion of it all.
Original post by NatashaLee
Yeap, i have have too many experiences with drivers like these, they're clearly in the wrong and must think speed limits don't apply to them, crazy isn't it

It is. :/ I think a lot people somehow think a lot of things don't apply to them, like red lights too. It's like "Yo, amber means slow down, not speed up?". Gah.
It is. :/ I think a lot people somehow think a lot of things don't apply to them, like red lights too. It's like "Yo, amber means slow down, not speed up?". Gah.

haha, oh gosh that too -.-
I actually had one person who pulled up behind me, I'd stopped at some RED temporary traffic lights, he waiting behind me for like 5 seconds then decided to drive past me through the still RED lights, what an actual idiot.
Reply 186

I'm gonna say... speed limits don't apply to me, unless a copper is watching me.

Why do I say this?

First and foremost, I believe in my abilites to handle my car safely, within my control, and not putting anybody else's wellbeing at risk.

Secondly, what is a sign?

It's a piece of metal with a number on it. Haha. You let your life get dictated by a piece of metal.

Thus by my own judgment I decide what applies to me and what doesn't. Notice how I haven't killed or caused physical harm to anyone in my life.

I don't complain if someone drives faster than me as long they don't put other road users at risk. Of course you can drive fast and still be safe, but why should I applaud someone who drives at 60 miles an hour or more in bad conditions? They could cause an accident, is that really something worth applauding?

How does it accomplish nothing? I'll still get to my destination in good time without endangering myself or other road users. Isn't that the point of driving?

Driving is enjoyable but it's not meant for "a laugh" or to bully other drivers, regardless of their skill. I'd rather give a bad driver a wide berth than further distract them. Of course, there are going to be accidents and situations you can't control or stop from happening, but you could prevent some by driving safely yourself instead of getting caught up in the emotion of it all.

Well did the guy who overtook you crash into anyone? Did he harm anyone? Nope. "Could" he have? Well we both know that such words (wouldshouldcould) are detrimental to emotional wellbeing.

Personally I applaud the guy for his set of gigantic wrecking balls.

Complaining to nobody accomplishes nothing, you aren't going to change the way other people drive, I would think that when I mentioned it previously, it was quite self-evident.

And yes I agree. There's no point getting caught up in emotions like road-rage (lol) or frustration.

The point of doing anything is in accord with one's will. So if it is my will to get from a to b in 2 hours, you're damn right I'll overtake the **** out of you and any other driver who I catch up.
Reply 187
Taking far too long to turn around a corner.
Original post by A Cat
I'm gonna say... speed limits don't apply to me, unless a copper is watching me.

Why do I say this?

First and foremost, I believe in my abilites to handle my car safely, within my control, and not putting anybody else's wellbeing at risk.

It's a piece of metal with a number on it. Haha. You let your life get dictated by a piece of metal.

Thus by my own judgment I decide what applies to me and what doesn't. Notice how I haven't killed or caused physical harm to anyone in my life.

Well did the guy who overtook you crash into anyone? Did he harm anyone? Nope. "Could" he have? Well we both know that such words (wouldshouldcould) are detrimental to emotional wellbeing.

Complaining to nobody accomplishes nothing, you aren't going to change the way other people drive, I would think that when I mentioned it previously, it was quite self-evident.

And yes I agree. There's no point getting caught up in emotions like road-rage (lol) or frustration.

The point of doing anything is in accord with one's will. So if it is my will to get from a to b in 2 hours, you're damn right I'll overtake the **** out of you and any other driver who I catch up.

Well when you said you didn't like slow drivers i did think that maybe you actually meant 'i don't like people who stick to the speed limit'

You may feel in control of the car on road going over the speed limit but what about the unexpected, i mean i hope you should never have to encounter a situation where something happened, but what if something did, a child ran out into the road? we've all seen the adverts 'hit me at 30 I'll have a better chance of survival' and so on

And well it's not just a sign though is it, it's law
Original post by A Cat

Why do I say this?

I don't know why I have wasted my time talking to you, you are clearly beyond any sense.

You're attitude disgusts me, especially when there are so many people (good drivers, bad drivers, passengers and pedestrians) that have lost their life to drivers like you.

What you have said is the complete antithesis of good driving and I just hope it won't be an accident that makes you reconsider your approach.
Well when you said you didn't like slow drivers i did think that maybe you actually meant 'i don't like people who stick to the speed limit'

You may feel in control of the car on road going over the speed limit but what about the unexpected, i mean i hope you should never have to encounter a situation where something happened, but what if something did, a child ran out into the road? we've all seen the adverts 'hit me at 30 I'll have a better chance of survival' and so on

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm glad there are other drivers who think the same!
Reply 191

Damn right that's what I meant. 40 mph is slow. Depends on the road itself really.

Please, don't pile onto me the "if" and "could" arguments. They have no basis in reality.

What's the law though? Just a piece of paper written by men who do not have your interests at heart. :smile: Is that what you let dictate your life now? A piece of paper?
Reply 192
I don't know why I have wasted my time talking to you, you are clearly beyond any sense.

You're attitude disgusts me, especially when there are so many people (good drivers, bad drivers, passengers and pedestrians) that have lost their life to drivers like you.

What you have said is the complete antithesis of good driving and I just hope it won't be an accident that makes you reconsider your approach.

Actually madam, I used to be the antithesis of good driving, (then I had a crash - no one else involved) now I am the synthesis of good and bad driving. I drive based on what my experience tells me is the best way to drive - for me, and I drive for enjoyment.
Original post by A Cat
Actually madam, I used to be the antithesis of good driving, (then I had a crash - no one else involved) now I am the synthesis of good and bad driving. I drive based on what my experience tells me is the best way to drive - for me, and I drive for enjoyment.

You know, my father was like you when he was young. He had numerous crashes and extremely lucky escapes and admits he drove recklessly because he thought he knew better. And he admits what an ass he was for it. Perhaps there's hope for you yet.
Reply 194
You know, my father was like you when he was young. He had numerous crashes and extremely lucky escapes and admits he drove recklessly because he thought he knew better. And he admits what an ass he was for it. Perhaps there's hope for you yet.

If there is just one thing that you and the other girl are to take away from my posts, please do not let it be your perception of my self improvement, but rather, your perception of your perception. Question yourself when you realise that you are blindly following that which others have told you.

I find it hilarious that you submit to pieces of paper and metal. Don't you know what's best for yourselves?

My apologies to you if this comes across as arsey but it's the internet, I don't really care lol
Original post by A Cat
If there is just one thing that you and the other girl are to take away from my posts, please do not let it be your perception of my self improvement, but rather, your perception of your perception. Question yourself when you realise that you are blindly following that which others have told you.

I find it hilarious that you submit to pieces of paper and metal. Don't you know what's best for yourselves?

My apologies to you if this comes across as arsey but it's the internet, I don't really care lol

A law isn't a piece of paper or metal, they're just manifestations of the law. If you want a reason to obey the law, how about avoiding losing your license or going to jail for dangerous driving?
Because on the day you are unlucky or make a mistake and get in an accident, that's what will happen.

Oh and in reply to OP: people that don't understand roundabouts. The other day someone on the entrance to my right signalled me to go when they had right of way, then got annoyed when I refused!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 196
Original post by Pafeetus
A law isn't a piece of paper or metal, they're just manifestations of the law. If you want a reason to obey the law, how about avoiding losing your license or going to jail for dangerous driving?
Because on the day you are unlucky or make a mistake and get in an accident, that's what will happen.

Oh and in reply to OP: people that don't understand roundabouts. The other day someone on the entrance to my right signalled me to go when they had right of way, then got annoyed when I refused!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hmm so what is your definition of the law?

And since you can tell the future, good luck with winning the lottery.

Your little story says a lot about your approach to driving. KEEP ONE EYE ON THE SPEEDO, NOT TOO FAST DEARY
Reply 197
Tailgating and speeding. I live in a village where a boy was killed last year because of a speeding motorist going through the village. I always stick to the 30 limit as soon as I enter it but 9/10 times there is someone going right up my backside trying to make me go faster. I've even had people overtake me too which is really frustrating!

I usually respond by going slightly under the limit - I know I shouldn't, but it's somewhat satisfying. :tongue: It's even better when I have to turn into my drive and I have to come to a complete stop because there are other cars coming the other way. That really cheeses them off at times! :biggrin:
Original post by A Cat

I don't drive safely because the law tells me to. I drive safely because I give a damn about my life and other people's.
Reply 199
I don't drive safely because the law tells me to. I drive safely because I give a damn about my life and other people's.

exactly. It is of course our perception of "safely" which differs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending