The Student Room Group

So nervous about driving despite passing test

I past my test about a week ago, first time only with 2 minors. Despite people telling me I’m good driver, and people always feeling safe when I drive. Now I have passed the thought of driving somewhere on my own terrifies me. So far all week I’ve driven with other people In the car and despite being beeped at twice once as a helpful gesture to turn my headlights on, and another because I let 2 people go and someone was a bjt impatient. Everything has been pretty smooth. But for some reason when I think about driving on my own, I overthink everything, it starts from me overthinking slip roads and changing lanes, to even simple things like pulling out of a junction to parking. I seem to have to scan Google maps and examine the entire route so I know what lane and all that, and if something looks remotely unclear, it will really throw me off and stress me out. I do suffer from wuite bad aniexty and ocd. My ocd just means I have to pre examine every single possibility that could happen, and every outcome I could do to prevent it from happening, and if one step goes wrong I have to restart and that can cause me to stress and put me off getting in the car even more. I feel like deep down I just have this fear of annyoing other people on the road and being sworn and and insulted and not really knowing what to do. I’m a massive ovee thinker and I just wanna know if this will get any better, if it’s normal, and how I can find the courage to just do it.
Reply 1
Passing the test is the start of building your confidence. The test itself is a pretty reasonable assessment of competence. You will feel more relaxed with time, don’t worry. Unfortunately the presence of a level of intolerant and aggressive road users is something that will always be around and you just have to become a bit philosophical about this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending