The Student Room Group

what is the full process for riding a motorbike?

so i am looking to buy a motorbike 125cc in the summer so i can go to the gym and back and also for fun. so what is everything i need to do from now till summer to ride a bike. I know i need to pass my CBT and then use L plates on my bike. Then I need to buy a bike, get it taxed and insured. What else is there? Also what stuff should i have on me at all times? eg do i need my cbt certificate? insurance proof?
Reply 1
If you are 17 years old, have passed your CBT you can climb on and drive away on any 125cc motorbike of your choice - with a crash helmet, with L plates, Insurance, MOT (bike older than 3 years) and tax. You have 2 years from passing your CBT to learn to do your practical riding test. You have to pass a theory test before you pass your practical bike test, but you can still ride with L plates if you haven't passed your theory. I would strongly encourage you to seek out local biker groups or Rospa to find learner courses. If you have no road experience you really are meat in the grinder of unforgiving road users and badly maintained roads. You need to learn to ride defensively. A local bike group will take you under their wing and offer nuggets of friendly advice and tips to help keep you safe. They might even have ride outs in the warmer weather. Good luck.

What to have at all times?

Your mobile phone for when you break down or run out of fuel. A small tool kit (wrench; multi end screw driver; tape) to repair things that drop off or fall off your bike, visor cleaner, a good lock/disc lock.

Keep your chain on the bike well oiled unless you get one with a shaft drive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending