The Student Room Group

Should you use hand gestures i.e. to say thanks to other drivers during the test?

At the moment my instructor usually thanks other drivers when they slowdown or stop for me.

I know technically on the highway code, your not supposed to give signals to other drivers, so what will happen during the test? Will the examiner thank the other drivers or should I do it or maybe nobody does it.

I know this is really a trivial matter, but I don't want to come off as rude if we are actually expected to respond to other drivers.

So what did you guys do on your test?
Yeah of course! Don't want to forget your manners. Even if you fail the test you will know that you have been polite in doing so!

You won't fail for being polite!
If in doubt, just don't do it. ~40 minutes of not thanking people isn't going to hurt. Can't say I remember if I did or not, but I also don't think that I came across any situations that would result in the need to thank someone anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I was way too focused and stressed to even think about hand gestures.
Reply 4
My instructor teaches me to thank drivers with a simple and quick hand wave, but now I think about it I don't think I'll do it on my test.
Reply 5
You wont come across as rude. The drivers of the car you want to thank will see the huge L thing on top and think to themselfes "oh no matter, this person must have not thanked me because they are taking their test and they are not sure what to do" Just dont do it, if anything at least you know that if you dont do it othing cn go wrong, if you do it, they may (MAY) class it as some some of minor (cas its not in the highway code)
I did it on my test and passed. Just don't do it if you're also trying to steer and it shouldn't be a problem.
I've been told not to, and don't during my lessons. I did once and got told off. My instructors been thanking me on my behalf. I'm guessing I'll have to come across as rude and ignorant because I don't want to risk it.
Reply 8
It doesn't matter too much if you wave for thanks, but the one thing you musn't do on your test is use a hand signal to give way to someone or gesture them across. That will earn you a minor fault at least.
I passed my test 5 months ago, and when I was learning my instructor thanks the other driver. When I took my test I didn't, mainly because I was too busy concentrating to pass. But I thank the other driver when they let me pass :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
do not use hand gestures to register your disapproval of other drivers during the test.
yes, you should. you should drive like a normal driver as much as possible in your test. your instructor shouldn't mark you down for that, if anything they'll think it shows more consideration.
Reply 12
I don't know why this is such a big deal with some instructors. Common courtesy is a massive part of life, helps us to get along with others, diffuses hostility and makes a big difference to everybody's day.

It really doesn't matter if you're on test or not. An examiner who sees a candidate exhibit common courtesy in a safe manner will be chuffed to bits that he/she has a real driver next to them who can multi-task and show empathy for other road users. If you just blank others, the examiner may indicate thanks on your behalf, and will wonder whether you're up to the job of multi-tasking or even aware of your surroundings.

A simple "thank you" can be shown to any other driver by any means that doesn't compromise control of the car.

DO:

Say 'Thank you' to those who deserve thanks

Raise your fingers off the wheel when not steering while keeping your palm on the wheel

Emote thanks in another way such as nodding, or smiling, or both, if your hands are busy.

DON'T:

Take hands completely off the wheel to say thanks

Use any hand gesture while steering, indicating, operating ancillary controls or changing gear

Lose control of the car while trying to be over-polite

Flash your headlights to say thanks; it's against the Highway Code and VERY annoying at night. It will also be marked as a fault.

Original post by MissDetermined
I've been told not to, and don't during my lessons. I did once and got told off. My instructors been thanking me on my behalf. I'm guessing I'll have to come across as rude and ignorant because I don't want to risk it.
Your instructor is a dinosaur. Either that, or you were at a stage when you were barely controlling the car, and were all over the place when you tried to wave or whatever. He should teach you for real life, real world driving. If you can give a "thank you" gesture with any part of your body that doesn't lose control of your car, then go ahead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dez
It doesn't matter too much if you wave for thanks, but the one thing you musn't do on your test is use a hand signal to give way to someone or gesture them across. That will earn you a minor fault at least.

This is what I was thinking - taking your hand off the steering wheel to acknowledge another driver could be construed as not being in full control of the vehicle.

I'd play it safe and maybe not acknowledge, just for the purposes of the test.
Original post by Reality Check
This is what I was thinking - taking your hand off the steering wheel to acknowledge another driver could be construed as not being in full control of the vehicle.

I'd play it safe and maybe not acknowledge, just for the purposes of the test.

That's what I did when I sat my test - I didn't acknowledge, purely for the purposes of the test, etc. But I do thank the other driver now though :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm more than capable of saying thanks without losing control of the car but as I say my instructor has told me off for it. I think it's stupid too. I do intend on doing it when I'm driving by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending