The Student Room Group

Sorbonne IV for an Erasmus year

Hello! I'm an english student who speaks fluent french and I was thinking of going to Paris Sorbonne IV to study History for my Erasmus year and was wondering what its really like in terms of lectures, seminars, teaching standard, facilities, how friendly are the students? What's the student atmosphere like, how much stuff is organized?
I know that it's not a campus university so would be quite interesting for me to know how the student side of things works out :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not at the Sorbonne, but I was offered a place there a couple of years ago and know a lot of people there.

If you take third year history classes you'll be at the Sorbonne itself, otherwise you'll be at the Centre in Clignacourt. Facilities are generally to a high standard. The main problem is the organisation (or lack thereof) and bureaucracy. In Cours Magistraux the teaching is very French, ie the teacher talks and you take notes. in Travaux Dirigés groups are smaller and more interactive, how much so depending on your teacher.

The Sorbonne does have its own Erasmus club but most events are handled by all of the Parisian universities together. French unis don't really organise much like in the UK, you have to find your own friends and make your own fun. Not hard in Paris :wink:

There are a few snobby pretentious students there, compared to my uni which is full of chavs haha. But also a lot of nice ones. I'm sure you'd make friends easily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending