The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

y= e^-2x / (x+1)^0.5. What's dy/dx?
how do you solve that using both quotient and product rule
Original post by ytop2
Can someone just help me pass c4 :frown:

why, what are you stuck on? use exam solutions -its amazing! its the reason I dont need teachers :P haha I just watch that before the lesson and thendo the chapter in the textbook
Start with integration as thats usually 30ish marks in total on the paper

im sure you can do partial fractions
differentation is pretty nice - dy/dx
parametrics-are ok

vectors and integration are the killer one -but attempt to know ATLEAST half of it so you can be fine.
I think by parts and trapzium rule aren't too bad
integration to find area is same as AS- volume and substitution tend to be the hard ones and the equations in context

vectors- finding the line, angle and intersection point is fine, but usually part d/e is the hard bit :smile:

what are you needing to get in Maths/aiming for/predicted? :smile:

honestly, break it down, c4 is nicer than c3 (unless you prefer trig) :tongue:
Original post by HARDZ994
Is one week enough to cover all c3 past papers (Solomon too) ?
( I haven't started :confused:)

focus on half solomon and half C3- I'm just doing c3 ones as I have 2 other subjects next week too and can't deal with solomon any more :frown:
Reply 1983
Original post by MedMed12
why, what are you stuck on? use exam solutions -its amazing! its the reason I dont need teachers :P haha I just watch that before the lesson and thendo the chapter in the textbook
Start with integration as thats usually 30ish marks in total on the paper

im sure you can do partial fractions
differentation is pretty nice - dy/dx
parametrics-are ok

vectors and integration are the killer one -but attempt to know ATLEAST half of it so you can be fine.
I think by parts and trapzium rule aren't too bad
integration to find area is same as AS- volume and substitution tend to be the hard ones and the equations in context

vectors- finding the line, angle and intersection point is fine, but usually part d/e is the hard bit :smile:

what are you needing to get in Maths/aiming for/predicted? :smile:

honestly, break it down, c4 is nicer than c3 (unless you prefer trig) :tongue:

Oh thanks!! I'll definitely use exam solutions... I need to get an A to get into my uni, I got 85 ums in C3 and was originally aiming for an a* in c4 but now it's looking very unlikely ... it's just vectors and integration that really get me..
Original post by nm786
make
Unparseable latex formula:

u = e^-^2^x

v=x^0^.^5 +1

and use quotient rule? You don't have to use product rule.

It's (x+1)^1/2
Reply 1985
Original post by MedMed12
focus on half solomon and half C3- I'm just doing c3 ones as I have 2 other subjects next week too and can't deal with solomon any more :frown:

"sigh" such a weirdo
Reply 1986
Original post by Biology2112
It's (x+1)^1/2

oh sorry then use the quotient rule with

u = e^-^2^x

and

v=(x+1)^1^/^2

(use chain rule for v)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1987
Going through C3 Papers relatively quickly now. On June 2010. Hopefully I can get up to Jan 13, by the end of Thursday.

For some reason I have an irrational fear of the C4 papers after doing all those Solomon Press....

I just want to get through this C3/C4 work ASAP so I can focus on how to get those A/A*s in Chemistry and Physics. The grade boundaries are so tight in Chemistry it's unreal.
When dealing with questions such as Express 5cosx + 8sinx in the form Rcos(x - theta) do we use the unrounded value or the rounded value of theta in the subsequent parts? (not sure if that has been asked before)
Original post by Mystogan.
When dealing with questions such as Express 5cosx + 8sinx in the form Rcos(x - theta) do we use the unrounded value or the rounded value of theta in the subsequent parts? (not sure if that has been asked before)

I leave it unrounded... But if you just round it to 3dp. And then give final answers to 2dp or less accurate it should be fine
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I leave it unrounded... But if you just round it to 3dp. And then give final answers to 2dp or less accurate it should be fine

For finding minimum
is Rcos(x+a)=R?
Original post by reubenkinara
For finding minimum
is Rcos(x+a)=R?

Minimum is -R

Min of cos(x±a) = -1

-1*R = -R
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Minimum is -R

Min of cos(x±a) = -1

-1*R = -R

That's what I mean. Thanks Shadish!
Original post by reubenkinara
That's what I mean. Thanks Shadish!

Np
I've reached a stage where I just want to finish all my exams. I haven't even started!

(at least it gives me a little more preparation time)
Anyone else doing C3 as an AS unit? Or is my school just really cruel? xD
can you integrate (1-cosx)^-2??
can anyone help me integrate (1-cosx)^2/(sinx)^2
Original post by Kathiye
Anyone else doing C3 as an AS unit? Or is my school just really cruel? xD

I don't think this is possible, unless you're doing a Pure Maths A-Level. You'll get a pure maths AS if you do that, at least.
Original post by justinawe
I don't think this is possible, unless you're doing a Pure Maths A-Level. You'll get a pure maths AS if you do that, at least.

Even Pure Maths AS is C1,C2,Fp1
Edit: It seems it depends on the Exam Board.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending