The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Can someone please explain on Solomon Press Paper J - Rep for help!

Question 7

Paper: http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/c3_qp_solomon_j.pdf
MarkScheme: http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/c3_ms_solomon_j.pdf

f : x→ 2x 5, x , (MODULUS FOR THE WHOLE FUNCTION)
g : x→ ln (x + 3), x , x > −3

(d) Show that the equation
f(x) = g(x)
has a root, α, in the interval [3, 4].

WHY DO YOU DO?
h(x) = f(x) g(x)

Why can't you do
h(x) = g(x) - f(x)

I was confused here.

Question 6

I didn't follow exactly what they did instead I did

2cot 2x + tan x cot x(b) Solve, for 0 x < π, the equation 2cot 2x + tan x = cosec2
x 7,

I did cot x = cosec^2x - 7

Then I expressed cot in terms of cosex and squared out instead of the other way round.

Why was my answer wrong?

I ended up with (x-10)(x-5)
where x - cosec^2x ....why did I get the wrong answer for one of the values surely algebraically its the same thing?
(edited 10 years ago)
C3.png

Can someone please explain to me part A. Not just telling me how to do it but explaining it.

I understand that -cosec^2 A goes to 1/sin^2 A but do not understand the other part.

Please can someone explain
Original post by AndyBoughton
C3.png

Can someone please explain to me part A. Not just telling me how to do it but explaining it.

I understand that -cosec^2 A goes to 1/sin^2 A but do not understand the other part.

Please can someone explain

4csc22θ=4sin22θ4 \csc^2 2\theta = \dfrac{4}{\sin^2 2\theta}.

Then use double angle formulae. :smile:
Guys in regards to exam preparation? What's your views on past papers? Do the Solomon first? Then edexcel? After each paper I look into the mistakes and do Afew Q's from the book to solidify myself up on it
Original post by Nilsdejongh
Guys in regards to exam preparation? What's your views on past papers? Do the Solomon first? Then edexcel? After each paper I look into the mistakes and do Afew Q's from the book to solidify myself up on it

thats what I'm doing/have done :smile: solomon first then edexcel (which I've only done one of) as I'm doing afew solomon again
Original post by Better

f : x→ 2x 5, x , (MODULUS FOR THE WHOLE FUNCTION)
g : x→ ln (x + 3), x , x > −3

(d) Show that the equation
f(x) = g(x)
has a root, α, in the interval [3, 4].

WHY DO YOU DO?
h(x) = f(x) g(x)

Why can't you do
h(x) = g(x) - f(x)

I was confused here.

Both should be fine.

Question 6

I didn't follow exactly what they did instead I did

2cot 2x + tan x cot x(b) Solve, for 0 x < π, the equation 2cot 2x + tan x = cosec2
x 7,

I did cot x = cosec^2x - 7

Then I expressed cot in terms of cosex and squared out instead of the other way round.

Why was my answer wrong?

I ended up with (x-10)(x-5)
where x - cosec^2x ....why did I get the wrong answer for one of the values surely algebraically its the same thing?

Avoid squaring when you're solving an equation; you'll end up with extra, invalid solutions.

For example, say you had:

x = 5

And for some reason you decided to square it:

x2=25x^2 = 25

You'd then get x=±5x=\pm 5, but -5 is an extraneous solution.

So you can use the method you used, but then check your answers by plugging them into the original equation to get rid of the extraneous solutions. Or, I'd just stick with the method they used in the markcheme (i.e. replace cosec^2 x with 1 + cot^2 x). :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
C3 - been looking at validity of Binomials and their ranges/limits when N isn't a positive integer the .

If you have a 2 part inequality such as -1<-2x<1 and obviously need to rearrange to get just X.. You used to have to swap the sign Arround if you did something but I can't remember what! Haha
Do we need to know the half angle formulae?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tikara
Hey guys? Does anyone know if you have to be able to prove any formulas for C4?

not that i can think of, except maybe they might ask you to prove how y=2t y= 2^t differentiated becomes dydx=2tln2\frac{dy}{dx} = 2^t ln2
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/Maths/49_C4_June_2005.pdf so I've got the right answer for question 4, but I just ignored the 3/2, but I was wondering what actually happens to it. Looking at the mark scheme, they seem to have ignored it too :s-smilie: just wanted to understand what I should be doing there haha
heres the mark scheme http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/Maths/C4_June_2005_mark_scheme.pdf

heres my working :

1/(1-x^2)^3/2 with the integrals

then putting sintheta for X

1/(cos^2)^3/2

1/cos^2 is sec^2 so did that

then integrated sec^2 to get tan and then changed the limits and got 1/root3

or is cube root cos^2 then squaring that the same as cos^2 so nothing changes :s-smilie:
Original post by MedMed12
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/Maths/49_C4_June_2005.pdf so I've got the right answer for question 4, but I just ignored the 3/2, but I was wondering what actually happens to it. Looking at the mark scheme, they seem to have ignored it too :s-smilie: just wanted to understand what I should be doing there haha
heres the mark scheme http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/Maths/C4_June_2005_mark_scheme.pdf

heres my working :

1/(1-x^2)^3/2 with the integrals

then putting sintheta for X

1/(cos^2)^3/2

1/cos^2 is sec^2 so did that

then integrated sec^2 to get tan and then changed the limits and got 1/root3

or is cube root cos^2 then squaring that the same as cos^2 so nothing changes :s-smilie:

Firstly, you need to find dxdθ\dfrac{dx}{d\theta} too.

And use power rules to get "rid" of the 3/2:

(cos2θ)32=cos3θ(\cos^2 \theta)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \cos^3 \theta (multiply the powers).

But as I said, you need to find dxdθ\dfrac{dx}{d\theta} too to see how it simplifies down to sec2θsec^2 \theta. :smile:
Original post by Nilsdejongh

There is always the option of getting the 'exam questions' from your teacher that Edexcel have produced and going through the topics you are less at ease with.
I personally don't think there is one set approach that fits all students when it comes to the best way of prepping for an exam.
Reply 1592
0<= X <= Pi

cos12θ+cos\dfrac{1}{2}\theta +2cos32θ+2cos\dfrac{3}{2}\theta + cos52θ=0cos\dfrac{5}{2}\theta = 0

someone help pls!
Reply 1593
Original post by usycool1
Both should be fine.

Avoid squaring when you're solving an equation; you'll end up with extra, invalid solutions.

For example, say you had:

x = 5

And for some reason you decided to square it:

x2=25x^2 = 25

You'd then get x=±5x=\pm 5, but -5 is an extraneous solution.

So you can use the method you used, but then check your answers by plugging them into the original equation to get rid of the extraneous solutions. Or, I'd just stick with the method they used in the markcheme (i.e. replace cosec^2 x with 1 + cot^2 x). :smile:

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to explain that.

I really appreciate it you hero!
DAYUM !!! got 100% in soloman paper J :biggrin: !! :biggrin: nice paper that was .... but i have a question on it, basically there was a question in that paper which asked to prove that

2cot2x+tanx=cotx 2cot2x + tanx = cotx

the attachment to this post is what they had in the mark scheme. however i proved it a different way. would i get the 5 marks awarded for it? because if not then i didn't get 100% :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by Better
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to explain that.

I really appreciate it you hero!

No problem! :smile:

Original post by masryboy94
DAYUM !!! got 100% in soloman paper J :biggrin: !! :biggrin: nice paper that was .... but i have a question on it, basically there was a question in that paper which asked to prove that

2cot2x+tanx=cotx 2cot2x + tanx = cotx

the attachment to this post is what they had in the mark scheme. however i proved it a different way. would i get the 5 marks awarded for it? because if not then i didn't get 100% :frown:

Spoiler

Looks fine to me :yep:
Reply 1596
Original post by masryboy94

Boom! Great work mate keep it up!!
Original post by usycool1

Looks fine to me :yep:

whooop so i got 100% !! :banana:
Original post by Better
Boom! Great work mate keep it up!!

thanks bro ! wasn't feeling C3 before but now i am :biggrin: haha ... how's it going with you?
Original post by kronca
0<= X <= Pi

cos12θ+cos\dfrac{1}{2}\theta +2cos32θ+2cos\dfrac{3}{2}\theta + cos52θ=0cos\dfrac{5}{2}\theta = 0

someone help pls!

I haven't tried the question yet, but it looks like you will need to use the formula:

cosA+cosB=2cosA+B2cosAB2cosA+cosB=2cos{\frac{A+B}{2}}cos{\frac{A-B}{2}}

Edit: Yeah, using this method works.

Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending