The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Secondly I seem to have problems when I have to Find a Root of a Sin/Cos curve with an Interval.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get ALL of the roots with respect to the given interval. I know it is C2 stuff but I don't know why I make silly mistakes on it.
Reply 1781
Original post by MathsNerd1
Remember you can express a rational number by a fraction, so you'll have a/b if it was rational and you've just got to go about proving that it isn't rational, therefore it's irrational.

I wouldn't worry too much about this as I doubt you'd ever get asked this in the exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 and 3 are co-prime only solution is p = q = 0 M1
but q 0 contradiction log2 3 is irrational
-----------------------------------------------------------
Not sure what co-prime means.

And would like to understand it just to be Better. As everyone is saying there is no point in doing a paper if your not going to learn from your mistakes had it not been for this question I would have been in the A/A* range on this paper.

So want to understand!!!
Original post by Better
2 and 3 are co-prime only solution is p = q = 0 M1
but q 0 contradiction log2 3 is irrational
-----------------------------------------------------------
Not sure what co-prime means.

And would like to understand it just to be Better. As everyone is saying there is no point in doing a paper if your not going to learn from your mistakes had it not been for this question I would have been in the A/A* range on this paper.

So want to understand!!!

Okay well I see it as both 2 and 3 are both prime numbers that there will only ever be one solution when they equal each other and that will be 0, so I think co prime is just because they are both prime numbers really. :smile:

What else did you not get correct on this paper then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1783
Okay well I see it as both 2 and 3 are both prime numbers that there will only ever be one solution when they equal each other and that will be 0, so I think co prime is just because they are both prime numbers really. :smile:

What else did you not get correct on this paper then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just that question.

I'm marking my Jan 2007. The graph on my graphical calculator is different to their solution. It's ridiculous argh, and I thought I got above 70.

Are you able to explain:

http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/c3_ms_jan_2007.pdf

QUESTION 7,

The very last two questions how annoying. I didn't even know we had to be able to draw Graphs of the order 4

AND QUESTION 8
aii A and B
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1784
What is cosy in terms of siny.

Sorry to flood the thread! Just don't have much time left before I leave.
Original post by Better
Just that question.

I'm marking my Jan 2007. The graph on my graphical calculator is different to their solution. It's ridiculous argh, and I thought I got above 70.

Are you able to explain:

http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/c3_ms_jan_2007.pdf

QUESTION 7,

The very last two questions how annoying. I didn't even know we had to be able to draw Graphs of the order 4

AND QUESTION 8
aii A and B

Okay for question 7 I didn't really like it as in FM I have been taught what a graph to the power of 4 looks like, but I think they're going the basis that you've worked out your turning point which you could then go further to work out if its a minimum or maximum point and then draw from this knowledge, I'm not too sure what else they could use really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Better
What is cosy in terms of siny.

Sorry to flood the thread! Just don't have much time left before I leave.

Okay well they want you to see, which you could if you drew out the graphs for cos and sin that sin(pi/2-y) = cosy and vice versa really. I'm sure it's stated in the book somewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Better
Hey guys! Very sunny day out there! Gonna take a break in a few hours

BUT Does anyone know how to do Solomon Press C3 Paper K Question 4 b
Markscheme here: http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/c3_qp_solomon_k.pdf

Can someone please explain the justifications?

(b) Use proof by contradiction to prove that log2 3 is irrational. (6)

hated that question ! loool, asked my teacher, got told that:

Rational can be expressed as a fraction ab \frac{a}{b} however irrational can not. for example π \pi is irrational and can not be expressed as a fraction, closest you can get to the true value is 227 \frac{22}{7} (accurate to 2 d.p.) same as 212 2^\frac{1}{2} it is irrational

Spoiler

Reply 1788
Okay well they want you to see, which you could if you drew out the graphs for cos and sin that sin(pi/2-y) = cosy and vice versa really. I'm sure it's stated in the book somewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the book they state

sin(x) = cos(x - 90)

But nothing else. Just the Translation of a Curve. But I didn't know you could do -y, and I think this is something I should definitely know.

If anyone can provide proof why you can have a -VE y i.e. sin(pi/2-y) = cosy
Reply 1789
Lol. Got 65/75 on Jan 2007. I am not in a good mood.

Oh well Alcohol time! It is too nice a day not to enjoy! Then I can get back to work for the next 10 days hardcore.

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated. But will reply later on or tomorrow thanks again. :smile:
Original post by Better

Oh well Alcohol time! It is too nice a day not to enjoy! Then I can get back to work for the next 10 days hardcore.

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated. But will reply later on or tomorrow thanks again. :smile:

have fun bro, you deserve it :biggrin:
Original post by Better

That was 89 UMS which isn't that bad but just means there are little areas that you can improve on, I wouldn't worry that much as you've still got quite some time to improve from that score :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posting a few questions I've got stuck on, any help would be much appreciated. For the first one, how would I find the x values for both graphs. I'm also stuck on 3b and 8b. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Better
In the book they state

sin(x) = cos(x - 90)

But nothing else. Just the Translation of a Curve. But I didn't know you could do -y, and I think this is something I should definitely know.

If you use the compound angle formula for sin(A+B), you get:

sin(π2y)=sinπ2cosycosπ2siny=cosy0=cosysin(\frac{\pi}{2}-y)=sin{\frac{\pi}{2}}cosy-cos{\frac{\pi}{2}}siny=cosy-0=cosy

The same also works for sin(π2)=cos(π2y)sin(\frac{\pi}{2})=cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-y).
Original post by candyhearts
Posting a few questions I've got stuck on, any help would be much appreciated. For the first one, how would I find the x values for both graphs. I'm also stuck on 3b and 8b. Thanks :smile:

what are the answers to them? just so i can check if what i've done is right
Original post by Better
In the book they state

sin(x) = cos(x - 90)

Have a go from the triangle I drew. :smile:
You can of course use the addition formulae as you have been given in a post above
Reply 1796

for the first one i haven't got a clue.
for a) take e to both sides and rearrange solve for x.
b) let e^y = x then the equation becomes 3x + 5/x = 16 (multiply by x to make a quadratic and it should factorise giving you two values of y and remember x is e^y.

question 8a) work out the gradient do -1/m and sub in x and y-values given into y-y1=m(x-x1)
8b) work out gradient make it equal 0 and solve for alpha, i think?
(edited 10 years ago)

For the first one, try finding y when x=0, and x when y=0, and for the modulus one, sketch the graph and then do the same thing for the two different graphs that are produced.

For 3(b), try multiplying everything by exe^x.

for the first question, from drawing the graph, you have a x2 -x^2 graph with a shift upwards of 4a2 4a^2 so for that one the co-ordinates is (0,4a2) (0,4a^2) , that x2 -x^2 graph crosses the x axis twice as we know so when you make the equation of that curve = 0 you get 0=4a2x2 0 = 4a^2 - x^2 make x the subject to get x=±2a x = \pm 2a therefore second set of co-ordinates are (±2a,0)(\pm 2a,0) then for second curve we know the modulus around the whole equation means you get no negative y values so when you draw the linear curve instead of intersecting at -a it rebounds at the x axis causing it to intersect at a so the third set of co-ordinates is (0,a) (0,a) now at the point it intersects (bounces off) the x axis we know that y = 0, so if we make 2xa=0 |2x - a| = 0 then 2x=a 2x = a therefore x=a2 x = \frac{a}{2} so your final set of co-ordinates is (a2,0) (\frac{a}{2},0)
(edited 10 years ago)

For the 2nd one,

Part a: try putting everything e^

Part b: think about trying to form a quadratic, with the e^y^2 and so on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending