The Student Room Group

Petroleum Engineering, How to get ready for uni?

I only have a few more months before completing my A level. At first I decided to apply to dentistry, but since competition is too high I failed to gain entry to a dental uni. My dad had persuaded me to apply for petroleum engineering. I am currently taking Pure Math, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I felt I had made a mistake of taking Biology instead of Further Math. I heard that further math is needed since it will help to provide the basic for engineering math. What should I do now, to late to drop biology, but i really do feel like I should study further math before going to uni? My dad advice me to take 1 year a-level course of geology and further math, but sounds ridiculous to me. HELP PLIZZ :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by amalina_dhs
I only have a few more months before completing my A level. At first I decided to apply to dentistry, but since competition is too high I failed to gain entry to a dental uni. My dad had persuaded me to apply for petroleum engineering. I am currently taking Pure Math, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I felt I had made a mistake of taking Biology instead of Further Math. I heard that further math is needed since it will help to provide the basic for engineering math. What should I do now, to late to drop biology, but i really do feel like I should study further math before going to uni? My dad advice me to take 1 year a-level course of geology and further math, but sounds ridiculous to me. HELP PLIZZ :biggrin:

don't do a career based on your dad's opinion's do what YOU want to do. You will be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by amalina_dhs

Do you actually WANT to do petroleum engineering? Or are you doing it for your dad? If it's not what YOU want to do then I highly advise against doing it. You need to do something that you want to do and are going to enjoy as a career. If you do something for the sake of others then you'll probably end up unhappy further down the line. And no-one wants to be unhappy :smile:

If it IS something you want to do, then it's worth checking out exactly what A-levels are specified for the degree. You never know, what you're studying now might be enough. Engineering is a lot of maths and normally requires good maths A-levels but every degree is different. Worth looking at different degrees at different universities to see what they require.

If you do need to take further maths before uni, make sure that you're doing it for you and not for your dad. Your dad only has your best interests at heart, but your lifetime career has to be something you enjoy and want to pursue as a career.

Quick Reply

Latest