The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
coughsyrup
I don't agree with you regarding high doses causing insomnia, certainly not in every case - 400mg was quite a lot and it really made me very drousy.

Yes, that's why I said 'can cause' not 'invariably cause'. The drowsiness I won't deny, but anticholinergics, like diphenhydramine, increase the heart rate, prevent salivation, and interfere with normal mental functioning, which can make it exceptionally difficult to sleep. I've experienced horrible sleeplessness on higher doses.
i tried Nytol and thought it was rubbish. i tried that after the usual first steps of not having coffee late in the day/exercising yourself to exhaustion/winding down at night.

None of that worked, booze only made me sleepy when i drunk too much, so i tried Sominex (Promethazine), as one of my lecturers said its the best OTC sleepaid.

I find too it works miles better than nytol. Especially when i'd had a beer (althoguht thats something thats not recommended, apparantly)
I have always had trouble sleeping, guess im a borderline insomniac. I usually get 4.5-5.5 hours during the week and then sleep in til like 1pm at the weekend. This is quite stupid because I know that it mucks up my circadian body clock. I hardly sleep before exams but get by on caffeine. Pro-plus helps.
Reply 23
I've also always suffered from insomnia.. but I never took it too seriouly.. I've practically become a night owl.. I can go days with maybe an hour of sleep.. it's really wierd and very unhealthy.. but there's always coffe =)
I have exams at the mo and I guess it's made things worse.. in the last 3 days I've had all of 3 hours of sound sleep..
On good nights it takes me an hour to fall asleep and on average i get 4-6 hours a night and tend to crash in the afternoon for an hour (which delays my sleep further at night)..
either way I've learned to live with it (tho i hate the state of my eyes!).. if you're really troubled you could seek professional care.. good luck =)
Reply 24
Anonymous
Hey...

Is it just me, or do some people have/have had the same problem?

Whenever I get stressed-ie. Before exams, I find it really ahrd to sleep at night...and it can often take me a long time to get to sleep...so I often end up with 4-6 hours of sleep, instead of my usual 7-8. Is this normal?

I have a tendancy to get really stressed, and I worry a lot...

Has anyone else had this problem, but still does well in exams?

I have tried all the methods, nytol, warm drinks..etc..but nothing helps...but I know reassurance would..to know i'm not the only one!

Thanks a lot xx

I don't have that problem. Because I always tell myself "don't worry, you will fail anyway." the night before the exam.
has anyone ever fallen asleep, thinking about trying to fall asleep?

(i dont think its possible)
Yup i'm like this. I'll get around 7 hours sleep normally (no exams) and i've been having about 5 hours sleep the last couple of weeks, sometimes less. I was pretty sure it was nothing to do with the exams as I was thinking of a certain young man rather than physics mostly... but then when I was in near hysterics before my exam the other day I realised it is just exam stress and hopefully will be over soon :smile:.

I haven't found it's affected my performance (as far as I know anyway) in the exams, as once I'm up and dressed i'm as awake as I ever am. Just slightly paler.
Anonymous
Hey...

Is it just me, or do some people have/have had the same problem?

Whenever I get stressed-ie. Before exams, I find it really ahrd to sleep at night...and it can often take me a long time to get to sleep...so I often end up with 4-6 hours of sleep, instead of my usual 7-8. Is this normal?

I have a tendancy to get really stressed, and I worry a lot...

Has anyone else had this problem, but still does well in exams?

I have tried all the methods, nytol, warm drinks..etc..but nothing helps...but I know reassurance would..to know i'm not the only one!

Thanks a lot xx

i have exactly the same problem! Once before my history olevel, i finished revising the evening before, and went to sleep at 11. i had a nightmare i didnt know something about napoleon, so i woke up at 3 and revised till 5.. lame huh! its a good job it was in the afternoon otherwise i would've failed badly!
I can never sleep properly, too much stuff on my mind.. guess it comes with the alevel baggage.. :redface:
"O level"? Which era were you born in?
Jason Mraz
"O level"? Which era were you born in?

my school still does olevels. gcses are for kids :biggrin:
i had it, it was really bad...i totally empathise

i got sleeping pills prescriped...'zimovane'...they are really good...its a phsychological thing aswell...you take the pill, the pill will make you sleep, you dont have to get stressed about not sleeping and how many hours till your exam

go to your doctors and ask for some short term pills...just for the night before your exam....
id recommend 'trying ' them before the actaul night before your exam..eg see how they effect you...try them on a non exam night ...figure out how many hours it takes for them to wear off ..if you take them too late in the evening they run over int the next day and you might as well be drunk....i made this mistake for one of my exams and got a grade lower then i should have done ..if i took one at 11 ...drunk LOADS of water with it and got up at 6/7 it had worn off and it was SUCH an achievement to have ACTAULLY slept that the exam didnt seem scary at all..thats how bad my situation was!!!

id also recommend lavander oil...breathing in deeply for 6, and breathing out for 12 ....natural relaxation

goodluck, you are not the only one, it was a major problem for me too xxx
Avoid stimulants before bed and develop a lights-out routine.
Yellomellow: same situation as me.

My advice: warm drink and a bath
^ Add that to Fleece's advice: Bovril and Love.

Latest

Trending

Trending