The Student Room Group

The U.S. should have liberated Iran instead

Iran is not Iraq. Iranians are a secular people in the vast majority. Our culture is pre-Islamic. Vast majority of Iranians are not a religious people (people, not regime). As many Iranians say, Bush's biggest mistake was liberating the wrong country first. I believe Saddam had to go but the Mullahs should have been removed first.

Iran is truly the only country in the entire region that once liberated will become a true secular democracy... it is a sad reality that Iran is in the situation that it is. But if we want to remove the threat that is the Islamic Republic both with its quest for nuclear weapons and its support for terror worldwide, we must support the Iranian people in regime change. There is no real alternative for permanent peace and stability in the region.
Have your own revolution, the US isn't your big brother.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Instead of dropping a tonne of bombs on Iran, Obama could have instead actually helped Iranians when they were on the verge of overthrowing the Islamist Regime themselves instead of staying silent.
Reply 3
Original post by Carrotcake18
Iran is not Iraq. Iranians are a secular people in the vast majority. Our culture is pre-Islamic. Vast majority of Iranians are not a religious people (people, not regime). As many Iranians say, Bush's biggest mistake was liberating the wrong country first. I believe Saddam had to go but the Mullahs should have been removed first.

Iran is truly the only country in the entire region that once liberated will become a true secular democracy... it is a sad reality that Iran is in the situation that it is. But if we want to remove the threat that is the Islamic Republic both with its quest for nuclear weapons and its support for terror worldwide, we must support the Iranian people in regime change. There is no real alternative for permanent peace and stability in the region.

Is your average Iranian going to want the US to liberate them though? Invasions have a habit of merely creating support for the regime.
Reply 4
Original post by Aj12
Is your average Iranian going to want the US to liberate them though? Invasions have a habit of merely creating support for the regime.

I think the majority of Iranians would be very against an invasion or "liberation" Fallujah style, BUT I do not think that if an invasion were to happen that it would suddenly result in mass amnesia. The things this regime has done are unforgivable and brutal on an unprecedented scale, and most Iranians are painfully well aware of that.
Reply 5

I thought Iran was majority Shia (the extreme kind) and that it was the Turkish Sunni types that were the good guys for us in the west?

With that said i do believe that the Iranian people deserve to be free and whilst it requires a concerted strategic planning effort with wide international support i think at the very least a destruction of the Iranian military is doable even without a ground invasion.
Iran is truly the only country in the entire region that once liberated will become a true secular democracy...

Have you heard of Turkey? :curious:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Have you heard of Turkey? :curious:

Lebanon etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21
I thought Iran was majority Shia (the extreme kind) and that it was the Turkish Sunni types that were the good guys for us in the west?

Until 1979 (and a revolution hijacked by the minority Islamists) Iran was one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East - more liberal than Turkey actually. The revolution was fought to replace a dictatorial monarchy with democracy, not to bring in a fanatical theocracy...that's the tragedy of it!

I think you've been watching too much Argo. Try Persepolis next time.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending