The Student Room Group

Solo Travelling

Hello,

I am a 21 year old female. After spending some time thinking about my life and what I want to do, I came to the conclusion that either at the moment I would like to travel for some time or for a couple of years even. I have read about people doing this, about not having a lot of money and just travelling endlessly over the world regardless and how there are certain people who just do this for the rest of their lives and that it is safe to be a female solo traveller if you plan well.

Is this true and do I really need thousands of money to travel over the world and is it hard to get a random job whilst there or is it expensive and unsafe? Could someone reply with some recommendations and how I would plan for something like this in terms of accomodation, general advice etc?

I would prefer to begin with Asia and Middle East

I have never travelled before and feel like I am wasting my life

Thank you
Original post by _np02_
Hello,

I am a 21 year old female. After spending some time thinking about my life and what I want to do, I came to the conclusion that either at the moment I would like to travel for some time or for a couple of years even. I have read about people doing this, about not having a lot of money and just travelling endlessly over the world regardless and how there are certain people who just do this for the rest of their lives and that it is safe to be a female solo traveller if you plan well.

Is this true and do I really need thousands of money to travel over the world and is it hard to get a random job whilst there or is it expensive and unsafe? Could someone reply with some recommendations and how I would plan for something like this in terms of accomodation, general advice etc?

I would prefer to begin with Asia and Middle East

I have never travelled before and feel like I am wasting my life

Thank you

I'm currently in southeast Asia on a three month trip. My wife and I have bumped into many solo travellers, both male and female, on this trip and others we have undertaken.

We've never heard any bad stories from them regarding safety, nor have we had issues ourselves.

As for money... You can stay in hostels over here for around £4-5 a night and eat for a similar amount per day. Flight costs can be found quite easily - look at unusual routes to lower the cost. Buses are cheap as are trains. If you look at 12goAsia you will get an idea of prices - they are generally cheaper if you book locally, however.

For income, if you can work remotely that's good - and increasingly common post COVID. We've seen more people do that nowadays. Other jobs include working in hostels in exchange for bed and board.
If you are a young woman travelling on a western passport be very careful about travelling around the Middle East.

Best to avoid going anywhere near the very religious countries like Iran and Bahrain.

Stay far away from all places that have a nasty reputation for large numbers of sexual assault during the day like India and Egypt.

Stick to the asian countries where the laws are relatively liberal and english speaking gap year students are welcomed. Japan, South Korea, Sri Lanka,Thailand and Nepal are safe places to visit alone as a single woman.

Countries with governments that are very unstable or authoritarian are best avoided.
Particularly Afghanistan, Yemen, Myanmar, Brunei, Syria, Pakistan and Turkiye.
I'd add Laos and Vietnam to the safe list, plus areas of Cambodia such as Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

Quick Reply

Latest