The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Personally, I've never heard of anyone doing this...why are you considering it, out of curiosity? I'm pretty sure you don't get extra credit on FPAS...would a MB/PhD not be a better option?
Don't really see the point in intercalating twice, you might as well do a postgrad degree. If it's a case of you being interested in more than one degree then a lot of iBSCs allow you to take modules from another iBSC to make up the total required number of credits anyway
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
Personally, I've never heard of anyone doing this...why are you considering it, out of curiosity? I'm pretty sure you don't get extra credit on FPAS...would a MB/PhD not be a better option?

Original post by coconut2456
Don't really see the point in intercalating twice, you might as well do a postgrad degree. If it's a case of you being interested in more than one degree then a lot of iBSCs allow you to take modules from another iBSC to make up the total required number of credits anyway

thanks for the replies guys! ahah before you laugh, I'm an A-level student, but was just curious as I'm interested in two 1 being ethics and one being gerontology - (although the research does interest me). How does postgrad degrees work?
As far as I know atm, I just know its 5 years of med school ( 6 if intercalating) and then you go into FY1 haha but could either of you explain how the further education works for Medicine (I'm not sure if I'd ever do a PhD though)
Also, how does selecting modules of two iBSc work?

Oh, the reason is I am really interested in both :smile: I'm considering Geriatrics or Dermatology as a field (I know, naive as I'll probably change my mind :tongue:, but ethics/medical law has always interested me)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
you can intercalate twice at Manchester as long as you're eligible for both degrees and they're not in consecutive years. A BSc after 1st or 2nd year then a masters after 3rd or 4th would be the most likely combination
Reply 5
Original post by Libby18
thanks for the replies guys! ahah before you laugh, I'm an A-level student, but was just curious as I'm interested in two 1 being ethics and one being gerontology - (although the research does interest me). How does postgrad degrees work?
As far as I know atm, I just know its 5 years of med school ( 6 if intercalating) and then you go into FY1 haha but could either of you explain how the further education works for Medicine (I'm not sure if I'd ever do a PhD though)

Oh, the reason is I am really interested in both :smile: I'm considering Geriatrics or Dermatology as a field (I know, naive as I'll probably change my mind :tongue:, but ethics/medical law has always interested me)

Well for a start, you don't need to do an iBSc to explore a particular subject further...you could always do an SSM in ethics.

Further education after you qualify works in different ways. For most people it involves going to work and completing postgraduate exams (e.g. MRCP) at different points throughout the junior stages of one's career. Research/masters degrees can be obtained along the way. Others choose to undertake an academic foundation programme which is specifically geared towards gaining higher qualifications e.g. MD:

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/academic-programmes

Also, and this is more out of personal curiosity, but why are you interested in dermatology of all things? :p:
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Well for a start, you don't need to do an iBSc to explore a particular subject further...you could always do an SSM in ethics.

Further education after you qualify works in different ways. For most people it involves going to work and completing postgraduate exams (e.g. MRCP) at different points throughout the junior stages of one's career. Research/masters degrees can be obtained along the way. Others choose to undertake an academic foundation programme which is specifically geared towards gaining higher qualifications e.g. MD:

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/academic-programmes

Also, and this is more out of personal curiosity, but why are you interested in dermatology of all things? :p:

So just to clarify, you can study for a MD, Masters whilst working as a doctor? Obviously, requires alot of time management and hard work?
Original post by Libby18

Well Democracy has answered the point about postgrad. As for selecting modules from two iBSCs, some iBSCs specify that out of 120 credits needed to pass the degree, 75 are required to be in modules for the BSC for example. This gives you 45 credits to play around with which you can use to select modules in a different BSC. Some BSCs on the other hand require you to take modules solely in your chosen BSC and this probably varies from uni to uni.
Original post by Libby18
So just to clarify, you can study for a MD, Masters whilst working as a doctor? Obviously, requires alot of time management and hard work?

Yep. Two people I know are doing part time MSc's during their foundation years.

Latest

Trending

Trending