The Student Room Group

Job at Jack Wills

Hello, I was ideally hoping that someone already working at Jack Wills could answer my questions. I have an interview at a smaller regional Jack Wills store and was wondering: what it might be a good idea to wear?(male) what questions I am likely to be asked? current pay/perks and how to try and ensure I get the job!
It is a part-time position, and I start at university in late September, which I mentioned in my covering letter. Also my cv is quite bare, am I likely to be asked about it? Finally the interview is being held at a store and I think is one on one, if that is of any significance.

Many thanks for your anticipated replies

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

Sorry as to be of so little help as I can't answer your question

But I was wondering how you got the interview? Like how did you apply? And what did you say on your cover letter?

And as for what to wear, all other posts have suggested look at the handbooks for ideas! Smart casual is best:smile:
Reply 2
Hi, Sorry for the very late reply, I applied through a friend who worked at the store, he put my name forward and now I have an interview. The shop is quite remote though, so I don't think they had a great infux of applications.
Reply 3
i've got an interview tomorrow morning do you know if yours is a group one? I hope mine isn't...
Hello, I work there!

I've worked for JW for over 3 years, I work full time and interview applicants. Any questions you have I'll happily answer!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by allthetime
Hello, I work there!

I've worked for JW for over 3 years, I work full time and interview applicants. Any questions you have I'll happily answer!

are most interviews group interviews? I handed in a CV and had a phonecall for an interview tomorrow.. I hate group interviews so need to know what i'm in for!
Original post by jones22
i've got an interview tomorrow morning do you know if yours is a group one? I hope mine isn't...

You should have been warned if it was one-on-one or a group interview. It would probably be a good idea to ring beforehand tomorrow to ask.

Which store is it for? If it's mine it might be me interviewing you!

Is there anything you want to know about either type of interview? What to wear etc?
Original post by jones22
are most interviews group interviews? I handed in a CV and had a phonecall for an interview tomorrow.. I hate group interviews so need to know what i'm in for!

Haha we posted at the same time.

We usually do a group interview first and then we'll pick out a few potential candidates from each one and do a one-on-one interview.

To be honest it depends how much time the store has and how many places they need to fill. If they just need one person then they'll interview one-on-one until they find the right person. If we need to fill a lot of places then we usually go the group interview route.
Reply 8
You should have been warned if it was one-on-one or a group interview. It would probably be a good idea to ring beforehand tomorrow to ask.

Which store is it for? If it's mine it might be me interviewing you!

Is there anything you want to know about either type of interview? What to wear etc?

Ah it's for Cardiff one! I was too excited to listen really.. yeah I don't own any Jack Wills clothing so I was thinking a Casual Midi dress with a leather jacket and flats? smart casual but if you think I should wear something different please say haha
Original post by jkap
Hello, I was ideally hoping that someone already working at Jack Wills could answer my questions. I have an interview at a smaller regional Jack Wills store and was wondering: what it might be a good idea to wear?(male) what questions I am likely to be asked? current pay/perks and how to try and ensure I get the job!
It is a part-time position, and I start at university in late September, which I mentioned in my covering letter. Also my cv is quite bare, am I likely to be asked about it? Finally the interview is being held at a store and I think is one on one, if that is of any significance.

Many thanks for your anticipated replies

In case you haven't read my other post, I've worked for JW for over 3 years and I interview applicants as part of my job, so I can help! :biggrin:

You should dress smart. The smarter the better, but trendy. Please dont pile on every item of Jack Wills you've ever bought, that will NOT go down well. (A lot of applicants do this misguidedly!)

If you're not planning on going the suit and tie way, then I'd recommend chinos, some form of blazer, and a shirt with a tie. Neat shoes obviously. Be clean, smell nice. We'll be looking at how you've put yourself together, so think about the outfit beforehand.

A lot of the job is about choosing outfits for yourself to wear to promote the brand, and also helping customers pick out what suits them and building an outfit for them, so we look at how you put clothes together and how you go about styling yourself.
Original post by jones22
Ah it's for Cardiff one! I was too excited to listen really.. yeah I don't own any Jack Wills clothing so I was thinking a Casual Midi dress with a leather jacket and flats? smart casual but if you think I should wear something different please say haha

Oh lovely, you'll probably meet a girl called Nia, she's one of the store supervisors and she's lovely once you get to know her. She might be interviewing you.

Personally I'd go for a blazer just to smarten the dress up a bit. Don't have your hair all messy, thats another big mistake girls usually make at our interviews. Some of the girls wear their hair all big and birds-nesty on the shop floor, which is fine once youve got the job, but not the best interview look!
Reply 11
Oh lovely, you'll probably meet a girl called Nia, she's one of the store supervisors and she's lovely once you get to know her. She might be interviewing you.

Personally I'd go for a blazer just to smarten the dress up a bit. Don't have your hair all messy, thats another big mistake girls usually make at our interviews. Some of the girls wear their hair all big and birds-nesty on the shop floor, which is fine once youve got the job, but not the best interview look!

ah ok! :smile: .. I was thinking about the blazer after i posted it! my blazer is black and my midi is black and grey anyway, I was thinking to have my hair curly and long but not too curly so kinda wavy-ish but tidy...
Original post by jones22
ah ok! :smile: .. I was thinking about the blazer after i posted it! my blazer is black and my midi is black and grey anyway, I was thinking to have my hair curly and long but not too curly so kinda wavy-ish but tidy...

Perfect :smile: just be very friendly, smile a lot and be ready to answer questions. It would probably help you if you read up about how JW started, where we come from and where we get our inspiration from. You might also want to pick an item and learn a bit about it in case you're given an opportunity to show how much you know. Or you could slip it in in a "Oh I've had my eye on the austerberry blazer for so long, the leather buttons are so cute!" sort of way.

The person who interviewed me admitted that the main reason she hired me was because she could imagine us getting on at work, and that I stood out as being friendly without annoying her.
Reply 13
Perfect :smile: just be very friendly, smile a lot and be ready to answer questions. It would probably help you if you read up about how JW started, where we come from and where we get our inspiration from. You might also want to pick an item and learn a bit about it in case you're given an opportunity to show how much you know. Or you could slip it in in a "Oh I've had my eye on the austerberry blazer for so long, the leather buttons are so cute!" sort of way.

The person who interviewed me admitted that the main reason she hired me was because she could imagine us getting on at work, and that I stood out as being friendly without annoying her.

Thank you this has helped so much! I'll have a browse online now, I'll let you know how I get on :smile: fingers crossed I really need this haha
Original post by jones22
Thank you this has helped so much! I'll have a browse online now, I'll let you know how I get on :smile: fingers crossed I really need this haha

Good luck! Just be confident and remember that they're looking for someone who'll help promote the clothes, be good with customers, and be reliable. Theyre also thinking "will she be cool to work with all day?"

Don't worry about anything, just be friendly! :smile:
Reply 15
I don't think my interview is a group interview, if it is I'm in trouble.
Reply 16
Hello allthetime, I wonder if I might ask you a few questions?
Question - do Jack Wills only hire slim people? I absolutely love the brand aesthetic, but I don't fit it from that perspective. Is there any point my applying? (I'm a sz 14-16 and tall)
Reply 18
If I get the job I'll try and find out for you
Reply 19
I've been offered an group interview and I wondered whether in addition to questions, is it likely we would have to complete group exercises to show our ability to work as a team? Any info would be great! Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending