The Student Room Group

Pet at uni

I have a cat at home where I live but my mum won’t look after him and I would have to take him with me when I go to uni but how would I do this ? Would I have to rent privately or are there some unis that are more Lenient with that. I have no one else to give him to and I would jacks to take him to a shelter which I am not willing to do. Pls help
Reply 1
Student halls will most definitely not accept a cat so you would have to look for private accommodation.But even there it’s not always easy. Many landlords stipulate no pets due to the damage that they can occasion.
If the cat has always been at home why won’t your Mum keep him? Apart from the obvious financial cost of having a cat, they really are low maintenance. Are you sure she won’t change her mind ?
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
Student halls will most definitely not accept a cat so you would have to look for private accommodation.But even there it’s not always easy. Many landlords stipulate no pets due to the damage that they can occasion.
If the cat has always been at home why won’t your Mum keep him? Apart from the obvious financial cost of having a cat, they really are low maintenance. Are you sure she won’t change her mind ?

Hey thanks for the reply, She would but she is moving away somewhere she can’t take a cat with her or else she would and he’s my responsibility because I bought him really. Do you think I would have to rent a house/flat privately its just bcos of how much money thag would be scares me
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hey thanks for the reply, She would but she is moving away somewhere she can’t take a cat with her or else she would and he’s my responsibility because I bought him really. Do you think I would have to rent a house/flat privately its just bcos of how much money thag would be scares me

I think private accommodation is almost the only solution, but depending on where you are it can be cheaper than halls.
Reply 4

You will struggle to find accommodation that will allow a cat.
Well student halls won’t accept a cat I’m actually not sure if the would even accept guide dogs and the like ( not needing of having one myself). The private sector is your only option really and even then you would be hard pressed to find a student land lord who will allow a cat. Some will allow stuff like fish but a cat is eat different. I think a shelter is a very real possibility and may be the only thing you can do.
Y
I have a cat at home where I live but my mum won’t look after him and I would have to take him with me when I go to uni but how would I do this ? Would I have to rent privately or are there some unis that are more Lenient with that. I have no one else to give him to and I would jacks to take him to a shelter which I am not willing to do. Pls help

Do you have any friends, or other family members that might take him?
Reply 7
Original post by Chronoscope
Do you have any friends, or other family members that might take him?

No sadly not🥲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending