The Student Room Group

Do you use/have you ever used your mobile phone whilst driving?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't drive so ... no

But I once saw someone on a dual carriageway reading a book while driving. I mean ... really?! Reading a book! She was all over the place.

There was a really funny episode of cops with cameras and they saw a woman driving whilst talking on the phone. They pulled her over and she denied it. They took her number. When she drove off, they called her number and picked up. The policeman was like "hello, this is the police, just checking to see if you listened to what I said." She hung up.

People really shouldn't ever do anything like that when driving. Just think if someone stepped out and you killed them, how could you ever forgive yourself? And think about how the family would feel! It makes me shudder.
Reply 61
Original post by onebro
All the best to you too.

I didn`t say safer it is just that you only require one hand and one leg to operate the car. So one arm can be used for answering a phone.

What i meant is moving in to left lane and usually that will force one to slow down to 50 because of slow lorries.

What is maturity? Common sense says drive 70 but cars in right lane move 85-90...

Lol what? You should have both your hands on the steering wheel at all times unless you really need to do something quickly that doesn't require taking your eyes off the road (eg changing gear or opening your window).

Answering a phone call requires much more than just a spare hand - the vast majority of your attention is diverted to that task, and therefore away from the road and what is happening around you. At 70mph (and yes even at 50) a lot can change in a fraction of a second. You may have been lucky so far that nobody has swerved into your lane or had to suddenly brake in front of you while your attention is diverted, but that's not to say it won't happen in the future.

I can't believe you're even trying to defend your actions and convince yourself that it's okay. It's illegal for a very good reason. "Maturity" is understanding that you are not perfect, you are not invincible and taking risks on your own and other people's lives is irresponsible and stupid.
Reply 62
Usually keep my phone in my pocket when I get in, but no I haven't used it whilst driving.

Did a long trip a few weeks back, the amount of poor driving on the motorway was shocking and almost every one of them I passed were on their phones!

Anyone who can't wait a few minutes to look at their phone or be bothered to stop shouldn't be driving IMO.
I am a learner, but I don't plan to. It really annoys me when people do that. You should concentrate fully on driving. I can just about cope with my instructor talking to me in the car lol
Original post by Hanvyj
Sending a text stuck in stationary traffic... seriously, what could go wrong? I don't like to do it because I like to pay attention to when to move forward but is it really that dangerous? Are you going to loose control of your stationary car and spin into some innocent pedestrians? Are you going to miss a key piece of information (Maybe a child steps out in front of you!) and forget to break!!!!

Nope. There is zero risk involved.

Zero risk? lol
Reply 65
Original post by HopefulMidwife
Zero risk? lol

Tell me a risk that is as a result of doing it then...
Reply 66
Original post by Hanvyj
Tell me a risk that is as a result of doing it then...

3 Points on your licence and a fine? Yep zero risk:rolleyes:
Reply 67
Original post by EmirK0
3 Points on your licence and a fine? Yep zero risk:rolleyes:

Haha, true - but that is literally the only thing.

In terms of danger, which is the reason you are given points on your license (because it is supposed to be dangerous) is zero

Well done though, I didn't think of that
Original post by c3rys
Again, read my previous post - I could see either side of the road. Plus I was literally only going around 20mph. At that speed I would say it is possible to maintain control of the car while on the phone. I know I still shouldn't have been on the phone but at the end of the day it was only myself I was putting in danger, no one else as there was literally no one else on that road. I had my eyes on the road. I guess I -could- have hit something or someone but alas, I did not. :rolleyes:

It's the drivers like you that bring up the insurance premiums.
Reply 69
Original post by James A
It's the drivers like you that bring up the insurance premiums.

Not sure that it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c3rys
Not sure that it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Silly people on mobile phones whilst driving (e.g. you) -------> More likely to crash/involved in an incident ----> more likely to damage your car -----> more claims put forward to the insurance companies ----> premiums go up

Although people like you aren't the sole cause of expensive insurance premiums, you most definetly play a role in it being expensive. The other main factor is inexperience behind the wheel (all young drivers involved now).

Whilst you may think sending an important text to your friend is priority, just remember who's lives you are endangering. I'm not writing this up to mock you, I'm writing it up so that you understand the consequences.
Reply 71
Original post by James A
Silly people on mobile phones whilst driving (e.g. you) -------> More likely to crash/involved in an incident ----> more likely to damage your car -----> more claims put forward to the insurance companies ----> premiums go up

Although people like you aren't the sole cause of expensive insurance premiums, you most definetly play a role in it being expensive. The other main factor is inexperience behind the wheel (all young drivers involved now).

Whilst you may think sending an important text to your friend is priority, just remember who's lives you are endangering. I'm not writing this up to mock you, I'm writing it up so that you understand the consequences.

I have not sent a text to my friends while driving, and I never would. The only time I have spoken on the phone was to ask for directions, on a road with no traffic coming, at 20mph. Not to mention I did actually pull over because I was going the wrong way, and I was off the phone before I was driving again.

I know several people who have been killed in car accidents and the thought of hurting myself - more so another person terrifies me. It now makes me a very careful driver. Yes, I was on the phone, but in a situation where I was 99.9% certain I was not putting myself or anyone else at risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c3rys
I have not sent a text to my friends while driving, and I never would. The only time I have spoken on the phone was to ask for directions, on a road with no traffic coming, at 20mph. Not to mention I did actually pull over because I was going the wrong way, and I was off the phone before I was driving again.

I know several people who have been killed in car accidents and the thought of hurting myself - more so another person terrifies me. It now makes me a very careful driver. Yes, I was on the phone, but in a situation where I was 99.9% certain I was not putting myself or anyone else at risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if you think that, the 0.1% can always strike back. Also, you get plain clothed police officers. If they spot you on the phone, you will get 3 points and a 60 quid fine. The police can easily be parked on the side of the road and then drive behind you to pull you over.

If I wanna use the phone, for any reason, I'll pull up somewhere safe.

I'm not gonna be messing with the 0.1%
I'm too terrified to even pop a skittle into my mouth at lights never mind talk on the phone in fear of getting caught by the police, i'm still in my probationary years :tongue: I saw a woman in the middle lane of the motorway putting make up on whilst driving. It's one thing endangering your own life but she most likely would have killed others on the motorway if she'd crashed, just a shocking disregard for other road users.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by James A
Even if you think that, the 0.1% can always strike back. Also, you get plain clothed police officers. If they spot you on the phone, you will get 3 points and a 60 quid fine. The police can easily be parked on the side of the road and then drive behind you to pull you over.

If I wanna use the phone, for any reason, I'll pull up somewhere safe.

I'm not gonna be messing with the 0.1%

Again, there were no other cars around. I wouldn't dare be on the phone somewhere I could get caught by the police - or where other road users were involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by c3rys
Again, there were no other cars around. I wouldn't dare be on the phone somewhere I could get caught by the police - or where other road users were involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only you was in the car/road, you know your story, so why care what others think. No point trying to prove yourself to a bunch of strangers on the net.
I have a couple times, but they were simply one word answers, yes, ok, etc.
No, luckily the car I bought came with Bluetooth, but if it didn't I would never use my phone. Texts can wait, and if someone kept ringing me (and it seemed urgent) I would pull over.

However, if you're ever in danger (i.e. someone following you (I mean actually following you) and/or threatening you) you're allowed to use your phone to ring the police

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending